Man 'mistaken to be animal' allegedly killed by friend while hunting

rooster59

Man 'mistaken to be animal' allegedly killed by friend while hunting

By THE NATION

800_924b3c246c83ece.jpg

A hunting expedition by friends went fatally wrong when one friend allegedly shot dead another apparently mistaking him to be an animal.

Lamphun police requested the provincial court for police custody of accused Weerachai Rorwongtawan, 29, on Friday (July 3), after he had allegedly shot dead his friend, Phitsunu Tanupetchpan, while hunting with two other friends on Thursday (July 2).

The suspect said that he had invited his friends to go hunting with him for wild animals. He said that he and his friend were in opposite areas. When he saw something moving among bamboo trees, he thought it was an animal and fired his gun.

Weerachai said he was shocked to hear the cries of his friend. He quickly decided to call the police and an ambulance. Phitsunu died later.

Police have confiscated the gun and are questioning Weerachai and the other friends. The men were charged with use of narcotics after urine tests.

However, the dead man’s brother, 35, pointed to inconsistencies in the alleged killer’s account. He said that Weerachai had told him he thought his younger brother was a wild cat and hence he had shot him. But when questioned by police, he had said he thought his friend was a rat and so shot him.

He also said Weerachai did not confess initially that he had shot his brother, and instead told him it was an accident, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390786

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-05

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The men were charged with use of narcotics after urine tests.

6 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

he thought his younger brother was a wild cat and hence he had shot him. But when questioned by police, he had said he thought his friend was a rat and so shot him.

Darwin..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

It happens every year in western countries ; there are people who have killed their father, brother, or son ... hunting for wild boars for instance ... they see or hear something moving and they shot 

I wonder what happens then, if they go to jail 

Most have to just live with it. Hard to prove intent on a hunting trip. Had someone shoot near me while hunting in New Jersey years back. Kind of surprised them when I yelled at them.

Edited by fredwiggy

54 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm a hunter and unlike yourself, am educated in game management and carrying capacity of land. Hunting is necessary in areas where game is overpopulating it's habitat, which is most places, mainly because of loss of habitat by greedy land developers who value cash over the earth's resources. If game is allowed to overpopulate, they use up the available resources and end up going into areas they wouldn't normally do. Backyards, highways, and crossing more roads looking for food. This makes opportunities for animal/vehicle collisions, something which in the United States alone, kills over 200 people a year. Also, the meat gained from hunting not only feeds millions of families a year, but a lot is donated to homeless shelters so they can have more to eat. A lot of animals aren't "innocent' like you say. Deer alone kill more than 7 people in the US from attacks. bears, mountain lions and tigers kill over 100 people a year, and elephants 350 or more. Some animals aren't supposed to be hunted, as in Tigers and Elephants in much of their range, but if they are again, allowed to overpopulate, they cause trouble. Thailand doesn't have any legal hunting, and these people were already breaking the law. Several people are killed every year by others mistaking them for deer like game. Thinking a person is a rat is beyond logic. Being drunk or on drugs isn't an excuse. If he said he thought it was a leopard, deer or tiger, which of course are illegal anyway here, it might make more sense. This sounds like an intentional shooting to me.

I agree with you.

But this "hunting party" - do you think they were educated in game management and doing their jobs for the good reasons that you are naming?

And those dangerous animals that can kill people - I think in most cases it is because the human made a mistake like intruding the animals area or coming close to their cubs.

Shooting in self defence would be ok then

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

Just now, sweatalot said:

I agree with you.

But this "hunting party" - do you think they were educated in game management and doing their jobs for the good reasons that you are naming?

And those dangerous animals that can kill people - I think in most cases it is because the human made a mistake like intruding the animals area or coming close to their cubs.

Shooting in self defence would be ok then

People are constantly encroaching on dangerous game's habitat, and encounters are inevitable. In India, many people die from crocodile attacks because they use the rivers or washing, bathing or swimming. And from Tigers also because their villages border tiger habitat.Mountain lions kill every year in California and Colorado because people are moving into their territory. This wasn't a hunting party. This was illegal hunting in Thailand. And shooting a man thinking he's a rat? People are hungry and will do anything they can to eat, especially with Covid taking jobs away. I wouldn't blame anyone shooting a few rats to feed their family. rats aren't a game species and we have too many of them. But I've hunter over 45 years and only once did I raise my gun to look through my scope when I saw something move far away, and it was a person. Scared me so bad that it never happened again, mainly because I from then on brought binoculars with me to check on any movement. I don't know what kind of dug would make you think a man was a rat, because even LSD wouldn't do that. This was either intentional or a quick shot from a very irresponsible person.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm sure there are a bunch of animals out there laughing their head off saying Som na Na, but seriously, had they were wearing hi-vis gear no one would have mistaken anyone for an animal because simply put, animals don't wear them...

but the animals can see them,  Rather defeats the object? 

• Like 1

Guns are for professionally trained soldiers, not civilians who like to play out being a hero in some kind of war movie.  Unless you are hungry and have to do it to survive, I have never understood the need to murder animals for 'sport'.   Maybe if the animals could shoot back, it would be a different story, then you could watch all these 'mighty hunters' run back to their mama.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He quickly decided to call the police and an ambulance. Phitsunu died later.

as  opposed to what? slowly  calling. Either way why are Thai men obsessed with hunting, if  it  moves  kill  it seems to be the motto. ORANGE  jackets  warn in sensible countries

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

People are constantly encroaching on dangerous game's habitat, and encounters are inevitable. In India, many people die from crocodile attacks because they use the rivers or washing, bathing or swimming. And from Tigers also because their villages border tiger habitat.Mountain lions kill every year in California and Colorado because people are moving into their territory. This wasn't a hunting party. This was illegal hunting in Thailand. And shooting a man thinking he's a rat? People are hungry and will do anything they can to eat, especially with Covid taking jobs away. I wouldn't blame anyone shooting a few rats to feed their family. rats aren't a game species and we have too many of them. But I've hunter over 45 years and only once did I raise my gun to look through my scope when I saw something move far away, and it was a person. Scared me so bad that it never happened again, mainly because I from then on brought binoculars with me to check on any movement. I don't know what kind of dug would make you think a man was a rat, because even LSD wouldn't do that. This was either intentional or a quick shot from a very irresponsible person.

Drugs / alcohol included don't make you think a animal is a man. They just make you careless. 

Its irresponsible to be high (or drunk) and hunt. Anyone with a gun should be sober. Just read the article of the drunk guy who shot a cop. Alcohol / drugs and guns don't mix.

• Like 1

Just now, jvs said:

Many animals are colorblind and deer can not see the color orange.

it's the reflective surface they can see, colour is irrelevant.   Isn't that why these mighty, hunters wear combat kit, or is that just them living out their Vietnam Hero fantasy ? 

• Like 1