Trying To Save A Few Baht....take Notice

ThaiBob

From the Pattaya Mail:

Danish man dies as taxi flips over

Theerarak Sutthatiwongse

A Danish man was killed when the taxi in which he was traveling burst a tire and flipped over soon after setting out for Bangkok.

Officers from the Highway Police Khao Kheow Checkpoint and Sawang Boriboon Foundation rescue workers rushed to the scene of the accident, which happened on the Bangkok-Pattaya Bypass at 4 p.m. on April 9.

In a ditch beside the road they found a green-and-yellow Toyota taxi with a Bangkok license plate. The car’s roof was caved in, and the body of the vehicle was badly damaged. Nearby lay two people, a Thai and a foreigner, both unconscious. They were immediately transferred to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

The driver was identified as Tawee Kohkaew, age 45, of Kalasin, who had a serious head injury. The foreign passenger was identified as Klavs Dybdal, a Danish citizen. He later succumbed to severe head injuries.

Tawee stated that Dybdal had hired him to drive from South Pattaya to Bangkok. At a point on the bypass, 1 km from Ban Nawang, a tire burst. Tawee lost control of the car, which rolled over several times.

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd1

Probably had no insurance (a mute point now), probably speeding and driving on bald tires. I would never take one to these taxi's to Bangkok (and just to save a few hundred baht). The Thai attitude to maintenance (or lack of it) is well-known. At least driving in Bangkok he would have had a chance since the speed would have been much less.

So you walk there then?

LOL.....unless I have another choice of transportation (friend, driver etc.) I would prefer to take the bus (what however is not safe....) but much better than any wild freelance taxi for 800 Baht.

The bus drivers on that route BKK-Pattaya are crazy,I guess when your numbers up you can change anything.

Considering the number of buses and taxis that go back and forth everyday, it is bound to happen sooner or later. The only thing that makes this story stand out, is that a farang died in the accident. Other wise we wouldn't even hear about it.

Which helps prove the point I keep trying to make about the media (especially in Pattaya), and the perception people have about the place.

One accident, involving a farang, and it's news. People start talking about how dangerous it is to take taxis and so on. Meanwhile, dozens and dozens of taxis/buses go back and forth everyday. We rarely hear about other accidents, unless they too involve a farang.

Because a farang was involved, people pay attention to the story. They miss the relevance that this was one isolated incident. Same for the stories of farang victims of crimes. We only see a few select stories and because of that narrow focus on farang related stories, (some) people perceive that all farangs are targets.

(BTW: It's not just taxis. My landlady's husband drove me to the airport last year. Halfway there we heard a loud bang from the rear of the car. He pulled over and sure enough, a rear tire had blown. Luckily it wasn't a front or we might have become statistics as well. Num likes to take care of his car and is always cleaning it and checking it out. It wasn't a case of trying to squeeze a few extra kilometers out of worn out tires. We may have hit something on the highway that caused the blow-out.)

As ercorn mentioned, if your number is up, it won't really matter what you do or how you do it. There is one inevitable fact in life, and eventually everyone has to face it.

From the Pattaya Mail:

Theerarak Sutthatiwongse

A Danish man was killed when the taxi in which he was traveling burst a tire and flipped over soon after setting out for Bangkok.

Officers from the Highway Police Khao Kheow Checkpoint and Sawang Boriboon Foundation rescue workers rushed to the scene of the accident, which happened on the Bangkok-Pattaya Bypass at 4 p.m. on April 9.

In a ditch beside the road they found a green-and-yellow Toyota taxi with a Bangkok license plate. The car’s roof was caved in, and the body of the vehicle was badly damaged. Nearby lay two people, a Thai and a foreigner, both unconscious. They were immediately transferred to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

The driver was identified as Tawee Kohkaew, age 45, of Kalasin, who had a serious head injury. The foreign passenger was identified as Klavs Dybdal, a Danish citizen. He later succumbed to severe head injuries.

Tawee stated that Dybdal had hired him to drive from South Pattaya to Bangkok. At a point on the bypass, 1 km from Ban Nawang, a tire burst. Tawee lost control of the car, which rolled over several times.

Probably had no insurance (a mute point now), probably speeding and driving on bald tires. I would never take one to these taxi's to Bangkok (and just to save a few hundred baht). The Thai attitude to maintenance (or lack of it) is well-known. At least driving in Bangkok he would have had a chance since the speed would have been much less.

You sumise an awfull lot,how about some facts to back up your theory :o

So you walk there then?

LOL.....unless I have another choice of transportation (friend, driver etc.) I would prefer to take the bus (what however is not safe....) but much better than any wild freelance taxi for 800 Baht.

All the green and yellow BKK taxies I have seen down here seem to be new ones and in a well maintained condition, could be wrong but don't think they are freelance in the meaning of owner driver.

Maybe safer to let the train take the strain, at least they don't have punctures.

Edited by Rimmer

Bad accidents because of tyre blasts happen also in other places. I do know someone in Germany who barely survived such accident in a big Mercedes at about 120 km/h.

As others said before...when you're number is up it is up...

I have had some mad drives from Bangers to Pattaya.

However, now the wife just tells them that we do not need impressing and to drive carefully and just get us there without any mishaps.

Now generally go further and onto Rayong, if we don't use the regular guy's that we know, then we just tell them, careful and 'one piece please'.

Generally safe now, but you cannot legislate for the other ejits on the road.

Good Luck

Moss

i saw a Thai Limo mercedes well and truly planted under the arse-end of a siplor late last year. doubt anyone survived that one so if the dodgy tires don't get you, the dodgy driver will. i used a regular 1200 baht 'private' limo for several airport trips until he got too busy and assigned me a couple of times to his buddy. twice this guy couldn't make change for 1500 baht and i thought if he doesn't have 300 spare, what else is he scrimping on so took my business elsewhere.

The bus drivers on that route BKK-Pattaya are crazy,I guess when your numbers up you can change anything.

I don't mind going when MY number is up. I just don't want to go with when the taxi driver's number is up!

I have had some mad drives from Bangers to Pattaya.

However, now the wife just tells them that we do not need impressing and to drive carefully and just get us there without any mishaps.

Now generally go further and onto Rayong, if we don't use the regular guy's that we know, then we just tell them, careful and 'one piece please'.

Generally safe now, but you cannot legislate for the other ejits on the road.

Good Luck

Moss

I often find myself asking drivers to slow down these days as well; especially on the BKK to Pattaya run. Word to all, I am yet to have a driver get upset with me for this, so don't be afraid to speak up if you feel it is not safe.

I saw pictures of the burst tire on Banglamung cable tv, and talk about bald big time, there was no thread whatsoever left on that tire, and if that is the maintainence standard of the Bangkok taxis that operate here in Pattaya, I would not advise anybody to use them.

This tire exploding was no accident it was neglience.

Regards.

• 4 months later...
From the Pattaya Mail:

Theerarak Sutthatiwongse

In a ditch beside the road they found a green-and-yellow Toyota taxi with a Bangkok license plate. The car's roof was caved in, and the body of the vehicle was badly damaged. Nearby lay two people, a Thai and a foreigner, both unconscious. They were immediately transferred to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

After hvnt heard from my friend for awhile , I found his name in this thread 2 weeks ago. and I just hv confirmed yesterday from his family friend itz really him , passed aways 5 month ago.He is an only child in his family.He is a good person,kind,honnest.

I am so sorry thatz I just know it..somehow I found my ways to read this thread..

I wish i could hv more words to say in here.

But I felt so heavy inside.

RIP Klavs : I will always miss you.

TigerLily

The dawn is breaking

A light shining through

You're barely waking

And I'm tangled up in you

Yeah

I'm open, you're closed

Where I follow, you'll go

I worry I won't see your face

Light up again

Even the best fall down sometimes

Even the wrong words seem to rhyme

Out of the doubt that fills my mind

I somehow find

You and I collide

I'm quiet you know

You make a frist impression

I've found I'm scared to know I'm always on your mind

Even the stars refuse to shine

Out of the back you fall in time

I somehow find

You and I collide

Even the wrong words seem to ryhme

Out of the doubt that fills your mind

You finally find

You and I collid

itz a most fravorite song thatz we hd share in itunes.

Glad to hear the Songtaew Co-op does a great job of monitoring the trucks it leases out. Even happier to note the guy that rents the truck inspects it regularily. I'd really worry if I thought these trucks were driven into the ground like some Cambodian Camry. :o

You sumise an awfull lot,how about some facts to back up your theory

by farangland standards you see/are in a lot of unRWC vehicles that travel at speed.

(used to be a mechanic)

An unfortunate fact. both :-0

RWC? Rugby World Cup??

It may be the most important thing happening in the world today, but this thread is surely not the place for it?

From the Pattaya Mail:

Theerarak Sutthatiwongse

What a load of presumptions!

BTW - each occurrence has it's own character - just because you're going slowly is ABSOLUTELY NO guarantee of safety, in fact thinking that is most likely to put yourself in more danger!!!!

Edited by wilko

My friend & I by pure luck found a good taxi who we now use all the time fm Pattaya - Bangkok. Clean, well maintained car, not a smoker or drinker, constantly proactive when it comes to basic checks (tyres, clean windscreen, seatbelts work etc), sticks to 100kph or below. OK it takes longer to get there but you arrive safe and it's not a white knuckle ride - like some taxi's.

We all like to be masters of our own destiny - choose the cheapest taxi and that equation is null & void

• 1 year later...

R.I.P Klavs!!! Sorry I didn´t found this info before!!! God I cant´t believe your life ended this way.... Thank you for the few moments we had....

All my love

Gitte, Copenhagen

PS. Klavs was NOT cheap, he was (VERY) well off, and he didn´t care about money - made to many...... He probably took this taxi with all his too good intentions....

I would never take one to these taxi's to Bangkok (and just to save a few hundred baht).

So are you saying that taxis in other countries have never been in accidents and no one has ever been injured or killed in a taxi misadventure in other countries? Why not just say that there may be hundreds of taxi journeys back and forth between Bangkok and Pattaya a day and that there was an unfortunate accident involving this vehicle?