Cancelling Work Permit and getting Non O

Hi all, my previous employer will cancel my work permit this month and I want to make sure I do things right according to dates.

WP is linked to my Non B visa, which expires on 2nd Dec 20.  I want to change over to a Non Immigrant O (marriage) visa.  My 400K has been in the bank since 17th May, so I will have to apply for the O visa after 17th of this month.

What date should my WP be cancelled in order for me to get to Chaengwattana to apply for the marriage visa?  Can it be 1 week before (if there is any grace period)?  Or do I have to apply for an extension at that time?

Many thanks

You will only be changing the reason for your extension of stay from working to marriage. You will still have a non-b visa entry.

You will need a termination letter from your employer to cancel your current extension and apply for the new one. Both will have to done on the same day.

The work permit cancelation can be done after you get your new extension or shortly before.

• Like 1

Ok I think I understand Joe, but just to make sure:  I go to Chamchuri Sq with the letter of termination where I can then cancel the extension, cancel the work permit and also get a new extension based on marriage.

The non B visa will still stand and I should apply for the non O closer to the 2nd December?  Which means I should keep the 400K in my account until then?

57 minutes ago, CarlBkk said:

Ok I think I understand Joe, but just to make sure:  I go to Chamchuri Sq with the letter of termination where I can then cancel the extension, cancel the work permit and also get a new extension based on marriage.

You will have to apply for the extension based upon marriage at Chaeng Wattana.

If cancel your current extension you have to apply for a new one on the same day unless they post date the cancelation.

57 minutes ago, CarlBkk said:

The non B visa will still stand and I should apply for the non O closer to the 2nd December?  Which means I should keep the 400K in my account until then?

Why December 2nd?

4 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

WP is linked to my Non B visa, which expires on 2nd Dec 20. 

Your visa was only for getting a permitted-stay when entering the country - can be used until that date.  Immigration do not base their in-country permitted-stays on Visa-Sticker expiry dates.

I want to change over to a Non Immigrant O (marriage) visa.  My 400K has been in the bank since 17th May, so I will have to apply for the O visa after 17th of this month.

Then try to get your termination letter date into the future beyond that date - a week at least would be good - 2 weeks better.

That way, when you cancel your current extension, it will be cancelled on that FUTURE Date, giving you time to get your marriage-based extension processed.  There is no "grace period" - so your extension ends the day your work-terminates, and you are expected to be OUT of Thailand That Night.

The covid situation changes the "now, get out" case, but being on a covid-extension could complicate obtaining your next permitted-stay.  Better to go straight from  Non-B-permitted-stay to marriage-based permitted stay.  

Thanks Jack, so even though officially my last working day (with notice period) is 17th July I should ask the employer for the letter date around 2 weeks later ideally?  ...so I can still go with HR to get the WP cancelled this week.

When I go to Chaengwattana this is when I'll need the bank statement showing the 400K has been present in my account, right?

Thanks

Thanks Jack, so even though officially my last working day (with notice period) is 17th July I should ask the employer for the letter date around 2 weeks later ideally?  ...so I can still go with HR to get the WP cancelled this week.

When I go to Chaengwattana this is when I'll need the bank statement showing the 400K has been present in my account, right?

Thanks

Yes on the bank-statement for CW - I think will be a letter showing current-balance, and a certified bank-statement showing the 400K history in the account for 2 mo.

You can definnitely cancel your permitted-stay for reason of work in-advance at immigration using a termination-letter.  New permitted-stay will be until that date of termination. 

I haven't cancelled a work-permit (on my 1st), but someone else can clarify if that can also be done in-advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for those who helped and those who have been reading this.

So went to Chamchuri and got the work permit cancelled and also the Non Immigrant B visa (stamped as cancelled on the 31st July, so have time to sort out another visa before then).

Then went to Chaengwattana - waiting times with a small baby an absolute nightmare, got the usual surly communication from a young lady officer as expected, but her senior was much more helpful.

Be aware that these things are also required, which I didn't know about:

12 months remaining on the passport

photos of you and family actually inside your house 

bank book has to be updated with current statement that SAME day, not the day prior!  crazy

• Like 2