Thailand says monkey labour 'almost non-existent' after UK shop ban

webfact

19 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Why do you say it's BS? PETRA has done an article on it urging people to boycott the products, UK supermarkets have taken it off the shelves,, do you not even ask yourself that perhaps there might be something in this?

Seeing as how my home is in Thailand and not the UK.  NO!

7 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

How convenient was this clip to push their agenda. I am saying that it is not how it is normally done. If it is what you want, you will embrace this clip. Who produced it, when and where.   They are'nt  going to say are they. Then good luck. 

So there is nothing in it then,, everything is ok and Thailand would never allow the mistreating of animals, is that the point you are making? I assume that's what you saying right?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

How convenient was this clip to push their agenda. I am saying that it is not how it is normally done. If it is what you want, you will embrace this clip. Who produced it, when and where.   They are'nt  going to say are they. Then good luck. 

I think it was an investiagtion from PETA. So it has a bit more credibility then your word, unless of course you are an animal welfare invesitgator? Have you investigated this particular issue? Or is it just your opinion based on absolutely nothing? I would tend to believe an animal welfare organisation who have the backing of some very powerful supermarket chains then you.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Do it then or stop your B/S !

I don't think he needs to, there seem to be videos readily available right now.. So can't see how it's BS.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I can only judge with what I see with my own eyes, as you do, noting that with journalism comes sensationalism, is this a one off, I don't know, I am not out there, I don't see this, I also don't go for elephant rides or visit Tiger Kingdom.

1 hour ago, dave moir said:

So you have proof that monkeys are beaten and chained up? Maybe have a leash? Sheep dogs are usually caged or put in a pen of some sort! When not working! But same principles the dog is worked to round up sheep the monkeys to collect coconuts!

Some people will just defend their precious adopted country no matter what, right or wrong doesn't come into it. Thankfully sensible people have acted accordingly following this animal abuse and banned Thai products and I suspect the UK is just the first.

Thailand is a backward country in so many ways, this in itself is not the problem, it's the constant saving face and lack of desire to act that will keep it that way when the rest of the world moves forward, they will pay the price in there economic demise, I'm sure their reaction to this issue will cause serious damage to the export business of coconut products.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I can only judge with what I see with my own eyes, as you do, noting that with journalism comes sensationalism, is this a one off, I don't know, I am not out there, I don't see this, I also don't go for elephant rides or visit Tiger Kingdom.

Of course there there can always be sensationalism (as you put it) in journalism, however there are some differences here. Firstly PETA is not a newspaper, it exists purely to tackle animal abuse globally and is a well respected organisation. Secondly the supermarket chains will have investigated this following the report and their decision was to pull all the Thai products off the shelves, they don't do that kind of thing lightly, and not just 1 chain but all of them. So the evidence points towards truth in the matter. How much evidence do you need to perhaps think that this is true? Last point knowing how badly Thais treat animals when it comes to earning money (such as Elephant rides, elephant shows, Tiger shows, crocodile shows etc) would you really be surprised?

2 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

How much evidence do you need to perhaps think that this is true? Last point knowing how badly Thais treat animals when it comes to earning money (such as Elephant rides, elephant shows, Tiger shows, crocodile shows etc) would you really be surprised?

I don't doubt this is happening at all, hence the reason I said I judge things when I see them with my own eyes, there is enough truth in the video to show me this, hence the reason I also stated that I don't go for elephant rides or to Tiger Kingdom, or eat dogs in Sakon Nakhon.

14 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

So, to summarize the most recent official statements on this topic,

The Thai Commerce Ministry will invite members of the foreign diplomatic corps to observe the harvesting of coconuts by monkeys while this activity hardly exists in Thailand

well, well, well ... ???

So the Thai Commerce will invite members of foreign diplomats to observe the harvesting of coconuts. I am sure the Thai government would be completely transparent, with no animals to be seen? What do you think? So the way to know for sure is to do some under cover, investigative reporting. Oh wait isn't what they have just done?

• Like 1

I don't doubt this is happening at all, hence the reason I said I judge things when I see them with my own eyes, there is enough truth in the video to show me this, hence the reason I also stated that I don't go for elephant rides or to Tiger Kingdom, or eat dogs in Sakon Nakhon.

Sorry, I missed your point, so you agree the action by the UK and US supermarket chains was correct?

11 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

oh goodness you're right, this one mans actions balance everything out and make the monkey abuse ok,, sorry Thailand, please carry on as usual...

Where on earth in my post do I suggest that mistreating dogs justifies sending monkeys up trees?  Merely a comparison - not justification.  I was pointing out that there are far worse instances of cruelty to dogs than that herwin1234 referred to in his earlier post. 

4 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Sorry, I missed your point, so you agree the action by the UK and US supermarket chains was correct?

Naturally, the more pressure applied, perhaps then will they stop the practice, 'as small' as it is, and the sooner people stop riding elephants and going to Tiger shows and taking photos as trophies, the better off for the animals, Covid-19 must be a pleasant change for them of late.

• Like 2

Naturally, the more pressure applied, perhaps then will they stop the practice, 'as small' as it is, and the sooner people stop riding elephants and going to Tiger shows and taking photos as trophies, the better off for the animals, Covid-19 must be a pleasant change for them of late.

I agree with you. Thankfully I have read many reports from people how cruel those places are so I think people may go once unaware but never return. I personally think the days of getting animals to perform tricks for money and chaining up tigers and doping them up for photo opportunities are living on borrowed time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Logosone said:

These are monkeys people!!!

Monkeys!!!

Has everyone lost their collective mind?

Now I can't get Waitrose croissants at Tops because some Vegan nutcase objects to monkey harvesting? 

What the?

What a supremacist attitude.

FB_IMG_1566736974578.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This  mob Petra is the same people who wanted to ban plastic toys because it looked like the clothes on the molding looked like animal furs ?????? what next Guild Dogs for the Blind for being slave dogs what about Halal meat nothing said, with all the loonie left we have now running round trying to ban this and that why not just ban everything read in the Daily Express that they now want to ban Sherlock Homes for being racist how can you ban a character of fiction who has never existed ????? I think we need to get a grip here 

If we take this crazy PC argument to its logical conclusion we can't use dogs to round up sheep and cattle, Can't use huskies to pull sleds, can't ride horses, can't use cats to catch rats and mice etc. Obviously all the animals that work with mankind must be treated and fed well but otherwise all the animals I have worked with loved getting out and working.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

I agree with you. Thankfully I have read many reports from people how cruel those places are so I think people may go once unaware but never return. I personally think the days of getting animals to perform tricks for money and chaining up tigers and doping them up for photo opportunities are living on borrowed time.

I hope your right, actually I would like to think your right, but you can't help stupid and those uneducated enough to want to see the point, I think the word can also be attributed as one being, 'selfish', or 'ignorant' for that matter.

Idiotic "campaigners". I suppose they better start banning all milk and dairy products because of all the slave cow labour. And what about eggs!!! Thinks of all the slave chickens, even the free ranging ones. Better ban all eggs. What about all the slave dogs used to guide blind people. DO they get paid for their work? I thought now. Ban them as well. The list goes on. Morons will never stop finding things to complain about.

9 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Where on earth in my post do I suggest that mistreating dogs justifies sending monkeys up trees?  Merely a comparison - not justification.  I was pointing out that there are far worse instances of cruelty to dogs than that herwin1234 referred to in his earlier post. 

Ok, apologies. I don't however see the point of your post then. The topic is about the cruelty to monkeys in the coconut industry. The dog cruelty in Thailand is also a very big issue, and the soi dogs are a big problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simply believing anything Peta comes out with is not sensible.

It doesn't seem very efficient to me to have monkeys slicing coconuts off a tree one by one and dropping them on the ground, except for tourists.

It would though serve the manufacturers well to counter with a video of how they actually do the harvesting.  But then the media may not want to highlight such a video and spoil the narrative of course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Is Carrie a vegan? 

Safer for monkeys do it than human. Burmese people will die now. Sure. Carrie should think. 

I think she low knowledge. The old tree is to high for the stick.

And

“On 4 April 2020, Symonds announced on Twitter that she was in recovery after experiencing symptoms of coronavirus and spending a week in bed. She was not tested for the disease.” 

Boris positive, why not test Carrie? Carrie spread coronavirus?

I don’t know where you get the idea that the Burmese people will do the work, they seem to have learned very quickly from the Thais and are particular as to what work they will carry out.

Also despite comments made on this site they don’t work for a pittance and rightly so.

10 minutes ago, KIWILEE said:

If we take this crazy PC argument to its logical conclusion we can't use dogs to round up sheep and cattle, Can't use huskies to pull sleds, can't ride horses, can't use cats to catch rats and mice etc. Obviously all the animals that work with mankind must be treated and fed well but otherwise all the animals I have worked with loved getting out and working.

They have lost their minds. Since when do animal rights activists dictate trade relations between the UK and other countries? It's insane.

If you can not get your usual Waitrose products at Tops, you'll know who to thank, the animal rights extremists.

We should mount a counter boycott against PETA and other animal rights extremists who prevent us from buying delicious Waitrose croissants here in Thailand.