Thailand says monkey labour 'almost non-existent' after UK shop ban

webfact

8 hours ago, Nip said:

Whatever about the monkeys how about human rights. Lots of humans end up in chains too. And many of them die in Thailand and nothing is done by the UK government. 

So because the UK bans products acquired by monkey labour, they are responsible for Human Rights in Thailand? I thought America was supposed to be the "Watchdog of the World" anyway?

8 hours ago, Nip said:

Edited by sambum

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Peta, for all they do right, aren't on the ball as far as some things are concerned. They kill dogs and cats if they aren't adopted, and are against breeding, animals that are for pet owners, and don't want us eating animals anyway, especially hunted deer. If they would stick to preventing animal abuse and exploitation, and stop the nonsense against hunting and eating meat, they would have more support. I am totally against abuse and exploitation of animals, but I won't stop hunting, nor eating meat and dairy products, so they lose me because of that.

Fine but you you should look at each case on it's merits not just turn a blind eye to obvious abuse just because PETA raise the profile. I know they have had some criticisms, I don't really know too much about that but I do know that all organisations that go against the grain to instill change get discredited at some time, it's the way of the world.. However in this case it is right to deal with it as the abuse of the monkeys and snatching them from the wild for commercial gain is just wrong,, full stop.

4 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

I don't know how long you have been in Thailand. I have seen with my own eyes lots of cases of animal abuse in the name of commercial gain, including the drugging of tigers so tourists and locals can have their pictures taken with a tiger! Elephants being forced to play football for viewers entertainment, again all in the name of commercial gain, I could go on.. So what you call selective reading I simply call confirmation of what I know already goes on, cruelty to animals for commercial gain. I have seen the monkeys paraded up and down the beach posing for tourist photos which i am very sure are just plucked from the wild. The world is a small place, we all trade together and with that brings certain standards that every country must adhere to, if you don't you will be called out on it and rightly so, don't really care if you think it is "grandstanding". Thailand is not exempt from this no matter how important it thinks it is. If Thailand does not comply it loses out on International trade and gets left behind, (hence the start of people boycotting coconut products) simple as that, if Thailand don't acknowledge and deal with it then trade will get worse. So call it nosey if you like but it is here to stay, your view is old fashioned and dying out. It's the way of the world and it will never, ever go away, get used to the 21st century fella..

In a nutshell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Netease said:

They are

Not where I am from they aren't.

Important point to note, where I am from, anyone caught abusing animals for whatever reason will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

In Thailand, these activities are tacitly condoned or ignored and prosecutions are rare, and almost always political in nature.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Meanwhile , how many monkeys are knowingly infected, injected & genarally committed to a ghastly slow death in laboratories all around the world ?

If I was a monkey I will collect coconuts thanks

If you were a monkey I bet you'd rather live free in the wild.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Important point to note, where I am from, anyone caught abusing animals for whatever reason will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Can't be from the UK then?

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Monkeys not ‘coconut-picking machines’, insists trade dept chief

By THE NATION

800_2384b4f688e87c1.jpg?v=1594041848

Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit

The Commerce Ministry has instructed its commercial counsellor at the Thai Trade Office in London to explain to foreign customers and retailers that getting coconuts picked by monkeys is not an exercise in cruelty, Somdet Susomboon, director general of the Department of International Trade Promotion, said on Sunday (July 5).

Last week, BBC had reported that several supermarkets in the UK had removed coconut products from Thailand in response to a report from People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), which said that pigtailed macaques in Thailand were treated like “coconut-picking machines”.

Somdet said the ministry will clarify the situation to all involved parties, especially those in Europe and the UK, so they will have a better understanding of the Thai way of life.

He will also invite foreign diplomats in Thailand to see how coconuts are picked and how coconut milk is produced.

Somdet went on to say that this is not the first time that this issue has come up, adding that he had provided explanations last year as well. He said that Thailand has strictly enforced laws related to the prevention of cruelty on animals and animal welfare.

Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said the Department of International Trade Promotion will call a meeting on Wednesday (July 8 ) with all parties involved in the production process to discuss the issue and seek solutions. He will also invite representatives of Peta to monitor the coconut-picking process as well as the making of coconut milk and oil.

Like last year, the ministry will maintain the target of coconut exports at Bt12.3 billion. Of the Bt12.3 billion worth exports last year, 13 per cent was shipped to the European Union, 8 per cent of which was sent to the UK.

Last year, Thailand produced 788,000 tonnes of coconut-based products, 113,000 tonnes of which was coconut milk. Of the total milk produced, 70 per cent was consumed locally and the rest exported. Thailand has also been importing coconuts from Indonesia.

Niran Wongvanit, a trainer at the Klong Noi Monkey Training Centre in Muang district, Surat Thani, insists there is no cruelty involved in training the animals to pick coconuts. He said the trainers treat the monkeys like their own kids.

The venue has trained monkeys for agricultural purposes for over 100 years. It is also an agri-tourism venue.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390852

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-07

the english should be more worried about the sweat shops in the UK, before pointing fingers on other countries.

16 minutes ago, deecfc67 said:

On the island I live on, the only way I've seen coconuts harvested is with monkeys.

And actually seen the handler's beating the <deleted> out of the monkey on more than one occasion, when they're not "working" as expected.

People have also shared videos of it happening on local Facebook pages.

Show 'em here ... please (I was warned by Jaidee honey to be more kind ????); so, yeah, pleaseeeee.

Ridiculous moralising idiocy. I've watched the monkeys pick the coconuts and I thought it was funny. I mean if this Carrie Symonds <deleted> doesn't want to eat coconut that's up to her, but pressuring companies to boycott is something I'd expect from a far lefty. And she damn well eats animals, but doesn't want them picking coconuts. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bananafish said:

Ridiculous moralising idiocy. I've watched the monkeys pick the coconuts and I thought it was funny. I mean if this Carrie Symonds <deleted> doesn't want to eat coconut that's up to her, but pressuring companies to boycott is something I'd expect from a far lefty. And she damn well eats animals, but doesn't want them picking coconuts. 

This ... I love.????????????

45 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Fine but you you should look at each case on it's merits not just turn a blind eye to obvious abuse just because PETA raise the profile. I know they have had some criticisms, I don't really know too much about that but I do know that all organisations that go against the grain to instill change get discredited at some time, it's the way of the world.. However in this case it is right to deal with it as the abuse of the monkeys and snatching them from the wild for commercial gain is just wrong,, full stop.

Totally agree, like I said, even though I'm a hunter, I eat meat and am okay with zoos, I am 100% against abusing animals or exploiting them for profit. This country needs to wake up with that and a lot of other things. I was backing up what you've been posting, but I'm just not on PETA'S side in many things. They can protect animals but stopping hunting and eating meat will never happen. Monkeys have not intruded on our areas, it's the other way around. The same with all wildlife, but some animals are supposed to be left wild, and monkeys are one of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Totally agree, like I said, even though I'm a hunter, I eat meat and am okay with zoos, I am 100% against abusing animals or exploiting them for profit. This country needs to wake up with that and a lot of other things. I was backing up what you've been posting, but I'm just not on PETA'S side in many things. They can protect animals but stopping hunting and eating meat will never happen. Monkeys have not intruded on our areas, it's the other way around. The same with all wildlife, but some animals are supposed to be left wild, and monkeys are one of them.

Says a guy that kills or wounds them for sport....????..........................????

• Haha 1

Just now, transam said:

Says a guy that kills or wounds them for sport....????..........................????

Meaning you don't understand. I do more for animals than any anti hunter does. I have always had pets and take care of them. I shoot deer for sport, yes, but to eat too, like all other hunters. Hunting is a human way of killing an animal, just like what is done with cows and others raised for food. Letting an animal overpopulate, and destroy it's habitat, along with other animals, and starve isn't humane. I don't wound deer. One shot, one kill.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Meaning you don't understand. I do more for animals than any anti hunter does. I have always had pets and take care of them. I shoot deer for sport, yes, but to eat too, like all other hunters. Hunting is a human way of killing an animal, just like what is done with cows and others raised for food. Letting an animal overpopulate, and destroy it's habitat, along with other animals, and starve isn't humane. I don't wound deer. One shot, one kill.

So you like killing things that are out there doing their own thing. Hmmmmm. ????

• Like 1