What do you wish you had brought with you when you Relocated to Thailand

Pilotman

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

Me too.

Left the UK in 2011 for Cambodia sold everything. Left with 2 suitcases.

Moved to Thailand 3 years ago with 4 suitcases, mind you one had my home safe in it and not much else.

Landrover.thumb.jpg.c19d124a24deba8ea86aa0f5c0b43932.jpg

Glad to see it's taxed and MOT'd. ????  PS what's the morris dancer doing in the background?  Apart from " Shepherd's Hey and Speed The Plough". ????  

sm60 xaw.JPG

Edited by phetchy

2 hours ago, phetchy said:

Glad to see it's taxed and MOT'd. ????  PS what's the morris dancer doing in the background?  Apart from " Shepherd's Hey and Speed The Plough". ????  

sm60 xaw.JPG

Morris Dancers are not allowed in Scotland ????

Not my problem if it's taxed or not as this pic was just before I sold it and removed my personal plate ????

5 hours ago, jvs said:

Can you pm me that website please?Need a good spade,bought one many years ago at Homepro.

Very good quality spade but now is getting very short and another one like it not to be found any where.

I have bought mine from Thai Watsadu and they have lasted pretty well, although one has just been welded as it did not like being used as a crow bar to lever concrete blocks into position.

Have yet to see a good 6ft crowbar here so will probably have one made up.

10 hours ago, murraynz said:

Bringing a container,must be expensive plus taxes ??

If you have spare space...why not fill that with euro foodstuffs that are more expensive in thailand.even toothpaste is not so cheap here.

Household goods are duty free because of exemption for family moving to Thailand.  They may tax us on a few goods but we bring that may not be classified as exempt.

From my many visits over the 20+ years of marriage to my Thai wife, I don't remember toothpaste being more expensive than in US, if fact just the reverse.

We do all the packing.  The shipping company does the loading and door to door delivery.  From Las Vegas to Chiang Mai the cost is $6500.  My wife and I agree that spending the time and Baht to find the same quality wouldn't be much cheaper if at all.  We wouldn't get much selling our goods here.  I am selling quite a lot of things not needed in Thailand and have recovered at least a third of the moving expense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Big C sell both.

Not around here they don't.  They're also not on the Big C website.  They are available in TOPS and Villa, but the prices are ludicrous.  I'm not paying 188 baht for a baby bottle of Branston.  That's more than triple the UK price.

22 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Household goods are duty free because of exemption for family moving to Thailand.  They may tax us on a few goods but we bring that may not be classified as exempt.

From my many visits over the 20+ years of marriage to my Thai wife, I don't remember toothpaste being more expensive than in US, if fact just the reverse.

We do all the packing.  The shipping company does the loading and door to door delivery.  From Las Vegas to Chiang Mai the cost is $6500.  My wife and I agree that spending the time and Baht to find the same quality wouldn't be much cheaper if at all.  We wouldn't get much selling our goods here.  I am selling quite a lot of things not needed in Thailand and have recovered at least a third of the moving expense.

Yes, my wife and I brought a 40' container stuffed to the doors with all our furniture and personal effects, the mattresses in last and the movers had to push the doors hard to get them closed! We paid very little in duty. A good international shipper with a good rep in Thailnd will stop customs getting fruity and asking to break the seal at the port. They packed and unpacked it. Wonderful service. 

Originally I thought that I would retire in Thailand full-time after working there for 12 years.  Now, not a chance.  Most likely I will spend somewhere between 4-6 months a year.  The rest of the time will be spent in my home country.  Not a lot of things that I wish I had brought from home to Thailand all those years ago.  Many more things are available in Thailand now compared to 35 years ago.  

On 7/13/2020 at 11:28 PM, gamb00ler said:

We do all the packing.  The shipping company does the loading and door to door delivery.  From Las Vegas to Chiang Mai the cost is $6500.  My wife and I agree that spending the time and Baht to find the same quality wouldn't be much cheaper if at all.  We wouldn't get much selling our goods here.  I am selling quite a lot of things not needed in Thailand and have recovered at least a third of the moving expensexpens

I was always satisfied buying toothpaste here, until I discovered the Crest with Scope in the US...2.50 for a jumbo tube.  Best I  have ever used.  Two of those, and a few 500 ml bottles of Shave (Unilever) shampoo last me a year..and two 43 packs of Tide pods...and a few fresh sets of quality nail clips..1 buck each..stainless steel..amazing how much better the nails look after only cutting them with sharp and clean clips.  

On 7/10/2020 at 5:48 PM, bkk6060 said:

I sold or gave away every last thing in my home country.

House, car, furniture, everything.

I came here with absolutely one suitcase.

It contained some clothes and important papers.

The last thing I want to do in my older years is accumulate things.

I had ¨stuff¨ all my life and wanted no more burden of any of it.

So glad I did.  The only thing of significance I have purchased here is a motorbike and 7 golf clubs.  Even then, it took me a few years to commit.

I guess I am a minimalist.  The less things the better for me less stress and makes life so much happier.

I paid a lot of money to store many things. After a few years of storage I had to find a new storage location. At that time, with the help of a friend back home, we gave away about 90% of my things. He saved the rest somewhere in a special place and a few years later he died. So if there is anything still left I have no idea where it is.

And most important of all: I never really missed anything. I should have done what you did and I would have saved a lot of money for the storage.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, DrDave said:

I shipped a high quality gas BBQ from the US, but it was completely destroyed in transit. No way was I going to pay $800 for a replacement, so we made do with a cheap charcoal grill from HomePro.

Did you ship it in a container as part of your household goods?  I'm considering buying a BBQ before we leave Las Vegas for CM in a few weeks.  We're shipping a container and am concerned by your comment about damages during shipment.

15 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Did you ship it in a container as part of your household goods?  I'm considering buying a BBQ before we leave Las Vegas for CM in a few weeks.  We're shipping a container and am concerned by your comment about damages during shipment.

Insurance?

21 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I container shipped a Brinkman all in one combo wet smoker....I brought over necessary + some family keepsakes.....

Also a car = which they quickly wrangled me out of once it got here....The car was the main thing that led to packing up a container....

A few times/hindsight I've wished I'd brought some of my quality wood pieces, bedroom suite & some hanging art with me and sold off the rest - sending family pieces to family.....

I had 1 sportscar, 2 suvs + an rv = sold the sports car, TH took the one  4x4 I brought across & we still have a suv & rv stored in the states for our annual trips (4-6 months) - but looks like no trip this year.....Next year will be a decision time about them....

DON'T make a mistake of trying to bring a vehicle over - that's a whole 'nother horror story....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I container shipped a Brinkman all in one combo wet smoker....I brought over necessary + some family keepsakes.....

Also a car = which they quickly wrangled me out of once it got here....The car was the main thing that led to packing up a container....

A few times/hindsight I've wished I'd brought some of my quality wood pieces, bedroom suite & some hanging art with me and sold off the rest - sending family pieces to family.....

I had 1 sportscar, 2 suvs + an rv = sold the sports car, TH took the one  4x4 I brought across & we still have a suv & rv stored in the states for our annual trips (4-6 months) - but looks like no trip this year.....Next year will be a decision time about them....

DON'T make a mistake of trying to bring a vehicle over - that's a whole 'nother horror story....

On a retirement visa you're not even allowed to import a car. Those that can will face a fierce battle with customs about import tax, its not just read from a tariff list