Ginger, lemongrass, galangal may soon be listed as hazardous substances

webfact

7 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Spicy shrimp soup uses 2 of them, alone!  Bye bye tom yam goong!  Must be April Fool's!

Every day around here with this Government and people in positions of power is a Fool's Day.

14 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Mmm...Siam Weed. 

Never heard of it.

Rooster

I've got  backyard full of Siam weeds, kills my lawn and grows at 5 times the speed of anything else. 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

On Monday (July 13), Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Mananya Thaiset announced that neem, lemongrass, turmeric, ginger, galangal, marigold, Siam weed, camellia seed residue, chillies, celery, medicinal herb senna alata, climbing lily and the non taai yaak or stemona tuberosa lour may be registered as hazardous objects type 1.

Time for another re-shuffle.

• Haha 1

Typical Thai Government hazardous type 1 is less restrictive than type 2. Again a poorly researched article, Read the full article,  The government are making it easier for the farmers,  not harder.

• Like 1

Charge these senseless loud mouths with fake news. Impossible that these cooking herbs be at all "dangerous". Millions of Thai and others have been eating them for hundreds of years - and have not been ill or died by them. There are many stupid people in our govt but these blokes in the Agriculture Ministry must be the stupidest of them all. I say sack them all as they are useless persons.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

“I don’t understand why they have to register plants that Thais use in food and to naturally repel insects,” he said, adding that if these herbs were really being added to the hazardous list, he himself would lead a farmers’ protest

Big Pharma. They know “ let food be thy medicine” and they know of the magical qualities of these roots and herbs. 
A cardiologist once told me garlic and lemons were bad for our health. 
I told him he was trying to protect his cashflow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, you already need a passport to post a letter overseas. Control control control. You'll need to apply for a permit to have your hair cut soon - army style of course.

I knew Fed Ex requires you to have an id, but really at the Thai Post Office? Some of those ingredients listed are Thai staple ingredients and will never be touched.

24 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I knew Fed Ex requires you to have an id, but really at the Thai Post Office? Some of those ingredients listed are Thai staple ingredients and will never be touched.

A friend of mine had his passport requested when he wanted to post a Christmas card to the UK, and I've read on this site of others being asked. Talking of Thailand Post, I went to the Nana PO in Sukhumvit to post some documents to Kalasin, and the girl asked me what country it was in. I guess her training, education and knowledge of her own country was lacking somewhat. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A friend of mine had his passport requested when he wanted to post a Christmas card to the UK, and I've read on this site of others being asked. Talking of Thailand Post, I went to the Nana PO in Sukhumvit to post some documents to Kalasin, and the girl asked me what country it was in. I guess her training, education and knowledge of her own country was lacking somewhat. 

Very easy to believe. Yeah even in the USA most people haven't been out of their backyard. I also watched a video of some guy in the USA randomly pointing to places on a globe and asking people what country was it and did not get it. Most USA people who were asked thought Africa was a country. 

Back on the ID thing. It is completely stupid.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Trentham said:

The "Dick Smith" advertisement that appeared between posting nos. 28 and 29 above, at least on my screen are a scam. I enjoyed reading the comments about Thai herbs but wish to warn others about this rip-off.

Use Brave internet browser and you won't have to see any adverts. ????