Ginger, lemongrass, galangal may soon be listed as hazardous substances

webfact

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You are going to need a permit soon to buy a piece of Ginger,

a Celery,and some Lemon grass..this place get crazier by the day.

regards Worgeordie

I recollect climbing lily was a running joke with Benny Hill. as for siam weed, since the economy is suffering, why do we not export it?

12 hours ago, webfact said:

“These 13 herbs, for instance, can be used as insect repellent instead of chemicals and will have a low impact on health and the environment,” she said.

So let's guess.  Corporation which make insecticides lobbied the government to place these alternated insecticidal herbs on a restriction list? perhaps?   There is no "why" being published other than the government saying "they are dangerous!!!"
People have been eating these herbs for millennia for their health benefits.  Then - BAM - they are dangerous according to the government.  Why?  Really.  Cui bono.  Who benefits.  That's the real question. If the government is going to make the restrictions, then publish the science and the rational behind the decision. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

Maybe somebody had an allergic reaction to something they ate and rather than find out what has decided to declare them all hazardous , the usual overkill possibly .

Or possible an idea to bring more money into the Ministry by people having to pay a fee to register and grow them .

This trend is rampant in many western countries, especially America. 

In my opinion the reason is simple. Government agencies are organisms with an biologically analogous sense of growth and self-preservation. The biological imperative to grow or die rules supreme. 

So to fulfill that imperative they must constantly invent new things to organize, supervise, regulate, and ultimately to tax. The tax is always rationalized as a need to pay for the burgeoning bureaucracy that they themselves create. It's self-sustaining. 

Unfortunately for the citizens of such countries that means more paperwork, more regulations to meet, less privacy, less self-determination, less freedom, less liberty, and of course more fees and taxes. Analysis and logic has no bearing on these decisions. 

Of particular interest is the way many of these regulations have been eased lately in deference to the virus. So far no ill effects noted. Which begs the obvious question of why they were instituted in the first place. The answer is as stated above. 

This will not end until people protest or defy this organic growth en mass. That's clearly unlikely to happen as people have grown accustomed to higher and higher levels of control by their governments. 

So it's pointless to criticize the Thai government for following in the footsteps of their larger, richer, and more powerful mentors, the western countries. In any event, it's futile to complain. 

Dare I say it? 

This is the New Normal. 

23 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

If the government is going to make the restrictions, then publish the science and the rational behind the decision. 

Agree totally. I'd also like to know what prompted it and who lobbied for it, these initiatives don't come out of nowhere. Ginger and celery - you have to be kidding me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

i have to eat raw ginger daily because of a stomach issue. Without it stomach cancer is a possability in the future.. So this sux...

Me too. But in the evening I make a tea with it, including turmeric, black pepper and honey. Daily 2 home made capsules of turmeric and black pepper. Hit on it last rear getting rid of Helicobacter Pylori infection which would not go away!!????????????????(P.S. fresh ginger makes good ginger beer too!!!????????????????)

Edited by DPKANKAN

On 7/13/2020 at 4:04 PM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

No you will not need a permit to buy ginger or lemongrass. 

On 7/13/2020 at 6:19 PM, lee b said:

Well Tom Yam Soup is doomed then. I have never heard as much garbage as what comes out of some of these peoples mouths.

you don't want to know what comes out of the other end...

5 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

So let's guess.  Corporation which make insecticides lobbied the government to place these alternated insecticidal herbs on a restriction list? perhaps?   There is no "why" being published other than the government saying "they are dangerous!!!"
People have been eating these herbs for millennia for their health benefits.  Then - BAM - they are dangerous according to the government.  Why?  Really.  Cui bono.  Who benefits.  That's the real question. If the government is going to make the restrictions, then publish the science and the rational behind the decision. 

next thing will be Apple Seeds, in that big pharma corporation stops people swallowing them for vitamin B17, for cancer!

5 hours ago, RocketDog said:

In my opinion the reason is simple. Government agencies are organisms with an biologically analogous sense of growth and self-preservation. The biological imperative to grow or die rules supreme. 

Until they kill there host.  Parasitic relationship do work until the host is drained and consumed. 

10 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I knew Fed Ex requires you to have an id, but really at the Thai Post Office? Some of those ingredients listed are Thai staple ingredients and will never be touched.

They may not be banned, but it's not hard to imagine the Elite getting the claws into 100% of their distribution by limiting the licenses, like they do with exotic wood in Thailand.  Farmers make next to nothing, consumers pay high prices, and the guys in the middle with the required licenses rake it in.

14 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Until they kill there host.  Parasitic relationship do work until the host is drained and consumed. 

True that.

Some successful parasites never kill I their hosts, but merely drains and weakens them while using their energy to reproduce itself. 

But that's not the only approach that works. A parasite can indeed kill its host if there are always more available. For governments that means each new generation of sheep/hosts is always available. 

Some countries may be near the point of diminishing returns though. You can't milk cows that cannot afford water, grass, or a barn to live in. 

Historically this leads to a situation in which with nothing left to lose revolution is self-emergent inevitably foreshadowed by widespread social unrest, cultural division, and civil disobedience. 

Take a look at America right now as well as Germany, Poland, and other western countries. China avoids this outcome only by constantly evolving repression and militant control of the populace. This is their go-to modis operandi as we see now in Hong Kong. 

Machiavelli wrote the book and autocrats everywhere follow it. Agent Orange is merely following a script, he didn't invent it. Granted, he's so incompetent that he routinely shoots himself in the foot while aiming at democracy and multiculturalism. Even if he is replaced America will take a decade to fully recover from the damage he's done. 

most of you are wrong to condemn the thai gvt. They follow a WHO recommendation / requirement. Bill Gates and Big Pharma want to eradicate all forms of natural medicine. Anything that can strengthen your immune system goes against their vaccines. The Thai government is as stupid as the European governments who do the same.
You are only allowed to eat <deleted> to be at the mercy of all their other viruses to come ...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jcojco said:

most of you are wrong to condemn the thai gvt. They follow a WHO recommendation / requirement. Bill Gates and Big Pharma want to eradicate all forms of natural medicine. Anything that can strengthen your immune system goes against their vaccines. The Thai government is as stupid as the European governments who do the same.
You are only allowed to eat <deleted> to be at the mercy of all their other viruses to come ...

You managed to write that without using the words propaganda and sheeple...  :coffee1:

Edited by richard_smith237

On 7/13/2020 at 4:04 PM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Most of the celery has worms ???? take your pills