Confusion amid reports Thailand's top economic team to resign

snoop1130

10 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The sh*t will hit the fan from October onwards, this is the calm before the storm and it has the potential to be really bad. The 2nd wave is not the virus, it's economic fallout from the lockdowns.

Correct, when figures for the 3rd & 4th quarters come out the news will be Thailand is in deep economic trouble.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

You have already forgotten the REDSHIRT protests a short few years ago then ?

Or the protests that started all the mess from the Yellow Shirts, that also closed the country's international airports, started a border conflict with Cambodia over a Khmer Hindu temple and led to a military coup and a judicial coup.

Of course all started because Sondhi's mate Viroj was removed from his post at KTB after some skullduggery. 

Thai lakorn at its best.

7 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Until there is control by vaccine or treatment there is little hope.  

There is no tourist on the planet that can travel right now, like it or not.  When the high season starts in Thailand then it will finally sink in - it's not going to get better and of course the Chinese are not coming, full stop.  

and I also heard a rumour that the remaining so called stranded tourists are about to be given 3 weeks to leave Thailand - 7th Aug deadline with only a possible 7 day extension from the 31st July

so what little trade businesses have been getting in the last week or so is about to come to an abrupt end - If I was Immigration I'd be paying them to stay and keep spending

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bkkthebest said:

Economic team resigning while the country is in for a recession??? Their heart is not with the country at all.

You may have that wrong.  Their heart may be with the country but they are being pressured to do what they know is wrong for the country

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

and I also heard a rumour that the remaining so called stranded tourists are about to be given 3 weeks to leave Thailand - 7th Aug deadline with only a possible 7 day extension from the 31st July

so what little trade businesses have been getting in the last week or so is about to come to an abrupt end - If I was Immigration I'd be paying them to stay and keep spending

I understand your sentiments but what little they spend will be outweighed by the concerns of having thousands of illegals in the country that are not being properly tracked.

The Thais have spent millions on tracking software to control the movement of foreigners, including BMW smart cars with facial recognition. Mostly because of the large foreign workforce from neighbouring countries and as Thailand develops, it recognises that this workforce needs to be documented, pay taxes and work legally.

Westerners among the affected will be collateral damage but they should have had a proper visa if they were staying here long term.

The writing has been on the wall for a few years but the days of doing visa runs to stay in Thailand are now officially over. 

• Like 1

Just now, smedly said:

If I was Thai I'd be asking him where all the money is they are supposed to have and don't - it went somewhere

and how many actually got the 3x 5k payments they claim to have given to 24 million people, I'm sure the money is on the books as being payed but who got it ?????

Anyone who applied that was part of the official workforce (35 million people) and was making social security payments or their employer was. Those people who were working in the grey or black economies, working cash in hand and not paying SSC or tax, did not, which was why such a large number of people applied at the outset and then withdrew their applications.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Creasy said:

What’s the problem?

Just exchange some guys that know things about the economy with some battle hardened, medal ladened generals.

-What could possibly go wrong?

that happened some 5 years ago, I think we are about to see the full extent of their incompetence and greed revealed very soon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

You're assuming that your home currency will not perform worse than the THB which sadly for GBP, USD & EUR etc... is unlikely given how much money printing / rate cutting has gone on. 

have you ever seen a 3rd world countries currency drop like a lead balloon - there are plenty of examples

3 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Anyone who applied that was part of the official workforce (35 million people) and was making social security payments or their employer was. Those people who were working in the grey or black economies, working cash in hand and not paying SSC or tax, did not, which was why such a large number of people applied at the outset and then withdrew their applications.

Correct.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The group is credited with running Thailand’s economy but has reportedly come under pressure from factions within the ruling Palang Pracharat Party.

it really is all falling apart right before us 

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

another beauty from our resident financial TVF expert 

dear oh dear oh dear

Thank you for the accolade Smedly but I prefer to just be known as Trillian. And I already addressed that point earlier in the thread, did you overlook it? Oh no you didn't, you read it, you put one of your  little smileys on it, how cute.

Edited by Trillian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Government needs qualified economists.  Why not apply?  They sorely need some help.

what ? - the very same people that brought us 2008 and profited from it to boot

no thanks - they should all be in jail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Anyone who applied that was part of the official workforce (35 million people) and was making social security payments or their employer was. 

wrong - that was yet another entirely different group of people

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

you think the Thai baht going up is good for Thailand ?

The flaw in your thinking right there

a strong baht only serves a few in Thailand and they don't rely on the economy for their increasing riches 

That sort of comment usually comes from people who are being squeezed by exchange rates and want somebody to blame for not making the right currency exchanges ten and fifteen years ago, ring any bells?

• Sad 1