Thailand to offer grace period for foreigners’ visa extensions

webfact

9 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

An added benefit of this delay is in 8 weeks, some borders, flights, consulates may become open could offer more options for some.

Does anybody know when the cabinet will meet to approve, next Tuesday as Flights out on September 26th will be popular?

The previous visa announcement was 22 april, the 2nd friday before the deadline. I will wait till this date personally.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, homemade514 said:

that’s confusing. Obviously speculation but what does that mean? Does it mean people in amnesty right now have to leave by July 31 or will have until September 26? When would the overstay begin, august 1 or September 27 for those on amnesty right now? 

im on amnesty right now and just got 400k in bank yesterday for marriage extension. So if until September 26 I’d be fine but if not, in two weeks I need to leave. 

My guess is  you will be ok  with  that .

July 31st is not a  do or die date now,  26th September  is.

i can GUESS;

1.  if borders stay closed by end of september and you can't extend your visa here, get on a plane.  

2.  you have until september for borders to open.  

3.  if you are not on a visa now....then you might have problems.  a stamp isn't good enough

4.  most teachers have to leave to get a non B.....basically all new teachers will be fired if Laos stays closed.

it says visa EXTENSIONS....  that word might mean something.  so if you got off the plane and got the stamp, that's not a visa.

life goes on..........my horoscope said 2020 would be a year where I didn't work as much as normal.  it was right.  lol.  

• Like 1

Its very clear: 3rd time now, till September 26th.

Very good. Enough time to leave or make a new visa.

People who are on amnesty momently dont need to do anything till 26th of September , except getting a flight out till then or getting a visa at immi.

????????????????????????????????✌️✌️

Edited by thaibestlover
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, E020 said:

The previous visa announcement was 22 april, the 2nd friday before the deadline. I will wait till this date personally.

The previous visa amnesty announcement was 21th april at 7:30 pm moreless, it was a tuesday after the cabinet meeting. I think the next tuesday, 21th july must be the great day.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Not entirely clear reading that but assuming I have until Sept 26th to apply for a 60 day extension to my non-o multi entry that ran out on June 4th leaving me on amnesty.

If so gives me a little linger to prepare for a one year extension of stay which is useful.

I am very similar to you. You seem to know, what data will you get the extra 60 days from, the day you go to immigration or the 26th Sept?

15 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

You can get visa exempt stamps extended 

Once for another 30 days and then you need to exit. That's why I've done on my last two trips, October 2019 and January 2020. October trip I went home just before xmas and came back three weeks later, January trip extended at CW and when that 30 days run out I went to KL and came back the same day.

4 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

How I read this is, you must apply during the grace period. You might be denied, but either way you must apply. If you are denied, you will be asked to leave by a certain date. What do you think?

When you apply for an extension of stay and are denied they issue a 'You have 7 days to leave' stamp......

I wonder if they will still do that?

• Like 1

Wording here isn't really clear and some of it not even correct. No one was given an extension of stay, it was a pardon of overstay. But would this be a fair analysis if this story is true - Amnesty period would be extended until September but they call it a "grace" period in the hope people dont take the p*ss. Apply for an extension anytime between 01/08 - 26/09 or leave. Is that basically it ?

Edited by PhoSai

It's difficult to fully grasp how this will effect a lot of us as we do not know if the borders will be open by 26th Sept? If they are not then it only leaves the ext route ie marriage/retirement. But of course that may not suit everyone and indeed not everyone would qualify?

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

When you apply for an extension of stay and are denied they issue a 'You have 7 days to leave' stamp......

I wonder if they will still do that?

That's the concern. If you apply early, say...Aug. 4th... and are denied, you will be on overstay status WELL BEFORE Sept. 26th, irrespective of whether you can get a flight out.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, lee b said:

Emm, I dont clearly understand by the wording of this.....

Yes, neither do I, but we admit that and havent attempted to make something up to make sense of it.

It also seems to comtradict that erstwhile bastion of content that is the bangkok herald...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PhoSai said:

Apply for an extension anytime between 01/08 - 26/09 or leave. Is that basically it ?

Well im basically looking to extend my ED visa which expired during the amnesty ... they usually ask me to leave apply in a thai consulate and come back .... hope they just  extend it locally now.

• Like 2