Thailand to offer grace period for foreigners’ visa extensions

webfact

1 minute ago, drbeach said:

No, these people can likely do their 60 day extensions anytime prior to the expiration of this period and then a 1-year extension within those 60 days.

One certainly hope they would be reasonable regarding this. But you never know with the guys who are in charge, they arent really the most considerate blokes around. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, E020 said:

The previous visa announcement was 22 april, the 2nd friday before the deadline. I will wait till this date personally.

So you're leaving it until the 2nd Friday before the deadline... Which would be... Today!!!

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

I think the reason for calling it a "grace period" instead of another extension is the wording of the original cabinet resolution, which stated that the immigration bureau will set and announce a deadline for complying with the regular rules once the situation returns to normal.

The "grace period" is probably just that. Within that time, foreigners will either have to leave the country or bring their status back into compliance (e.g. by applying for an extension). So it seems they want to make clear that this will be the final automatic installment.

Yes, it looks like that to me. However, for those unable to seek an appropriate extension (such as those on TR who've already used up their extensions) it is likely 30 day extensions will be possible from Sep 26 onward, if borders still aren't open then and flight schedules still erratic. The other option is paying an agent who can work wonders, but they can be expensive.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bkkexplorer said:

Given this is an extended amnesty period til September, it only prolongs my problem. Different from the example above but related in principle. I have previously used up my 30 and 60 day extension before amnesty was granted and mistakenly thought I could apply for the 'conversion O' visa before applying a spouse 'O' visa within the amnesty period. I've learnt I have to leave the country and can only apply upon arriving here again. This causes a lot of unwarranted family issues. Oh yes, my problem!! Having an office here that can change my visa without leaving the country would be most helpful and productive.

There are some agents that may be able to help you. Some may convert your visa to another type, but it will tie you over in the meantime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SEtonal said:

September 26 is exactly 6 months since the amnesty period started (March 26). Also, August 1 to Sept 26 is exactly 8 weeks.

One is watching closely Immigration moves ????

6 hours ago, SEtonal said:

September 26 is exactly 6 months since the amnesty period started (March 26). Also, August 1 to Sept 26 is exactly 8 weeks.

IMO, they probably made the final date Sept 26, speculating that the borders might open on (or around) Sept 1st.

They are probably also thinking there will be more flights available around that time as well.

That suggests to me that they are not going to be doing any major revamps of the immigration system as it is,

rather, it would give people who need to do border runs to fix their situations a bit more time.

Of course they are not committing to anything yet as they dont know what the Covid situation will be at that time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Okis said:

One certainly hope they would be reasonable regarding this. But you never know with the guys who are in charge, they arent really the most considerate blokes around. 

Yep, folk thinking they can just rock up and get a Non-O without any hassle may be in for a nasty shock. 

16 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah, think I'll make the trip into my local Immigration office next week and see if they can shed some light on the announcement.

I agree, the article makes no mention about what happens to Non O visas after the amnesty ends it would be sensible to allow us to extend another 90 days without crossing the borders, which is impossible right now. I would happily pay extra for that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Explain how to me that the situation overseas has improved.  I understand that they will accept visa requests from the sounds of the article but will not extend visa's during the grace period they are allowing for Visa requests. Talk about confusing.  I think I will wait for the Cabinets resolution before I try to wrap my head around this verbage.

I will wait for the movie

10 hours ago, drbeach said:

Yes, it looks like that to me. However, for those unable to seek an appropriate extension (such as those on TR who've already used up their extensions) it is likely 30 day extensions will be possible from Sep 26 onward, if borders still aren't open then and flight schedules still erratic. The other option is paying an agent who can work wonders, but they can be expensive.

agreed, that's the way i read it,

basically they are (hopefully) about to announce there will be no extension after 26th Sept
those who can extend due to marriage, ED etc. can apply for their extensions (as normal) before the 26th
those who cannot get such extensions
will need to buy 30 day extensions at 1900 baht a pop or leave (or see an agent)
(something many people have dreamed about for years, just being able to pay instead of border runs)

For now it seems we can all sit back and see how flights are in September
when most are supposed to resume (afaik)

15 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

reading it seems you have to apply for a visa or grace period to sept.do it before the end of july if approved and pay the fee they want.if you don,t then u overstay.this is going to confuse many including the thais in the im offices

if you get a 30 day extension before end of July
it will expire before the end of August????‍♂️

Calling is a "grace period" IMO
is another way of saying "Final extension"
basically you got til Sept 26th to sort your permission of stay or leave

there should be no reason to go and get a 30 day extension before the end of July
it does NOT seem like you will be on overstay if you have not got an extension this month as you state
you will be on overstay from 26th Sept, IF you have not sorted out an extension/visa by then

• Like 1

18 hours ago, greggraham said:

So the big question is what does "visa requests" mean?

Can we apply for (new) tourist visas in country? Or convert to a non-B? Or get a marriage visa without leaving? etc.

No, based upon my conversation with the staff at Immigration Complex BKK last week.

All previous standards, requirements and processes remain as the status quo.

The previous 'Visa Amnesty' and future 'Grace Period' are designed partially to provide the time frame whereby those visa obligations can be achieved

ie: potential border crossing options with the next 8 weeks

• Like 2

11 hours ago, phungo said:

How is this different than an amnesty extension until to Sept 26?

it is not
but they are basically saying
this is the final amnesty extension
so people must take action either way before the 26th

• Like 1

It’s rumoured that there are between 3 to 4 hundred thousand foreigners caught up in Thailand due to the virus if most ignore the new regulation where is the government going to detain them and the other question I have is if you get turned down by the IO for a visa what happens to you then take you to the airport and let you rot . I already know of people who have said they will take a chance with the 20,000 baht fine for overstay . My wife is stuck in the UK and reluctantly I have told her to stay there until all this comes to an end I refuse to let her stay in a fleapit of a hotel somewhere in Bangkok for 14 days of Quarantine if she has a medical certificate to say she is clear why can she not quarantine in our Thai home all she has to do is show our yellow book as proof of address that’s what most of Europe are doing “ self quarantine “ 

• Like 1

Bangkok Post has some quotes from the chief of Immigration about the visa amnesty. It’s not very clear, but it would seem that foreigners will be able to apply for visas inside the country between 1 August & 26 September. But, tourists might need to show proof they can’t go home.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Rubbish. Fact that immigration refers to everything as a Veserrs does not give licence to follow like a sheep.

Also so wrong that "everyone is aware of this"

Not really clear why you are so invested in this. You are trying to clarify an unofficial announcement which makes no sense and offers little clarity. You bickering over semantics and terminology isnt goint to make a difference here.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 2

But - in the meantime, how likely do you think the possibility of a second wave in Thailand is? I'd say over 50% chance.

So whilst we all get frothy with excitement over the current new statement from the corridors of power, I'd be willing to suggest that it will all very likely change again.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

It’s rumoured that there are between 3 to 4 hundred thousand foreigners caught up in Thailand due to the virus if most ignore the new regulation where is the government going to detain them and the other question I have is if you get turned down by the IO for a visa what happens to you then take you to the airport and let you rot . I already know of people who have said they will take a chance with the 20,000 baht fine for overstay . My wife is stuck in the UK and reluctantly I have told her to stay there until all this comes to an end I refuse to let her stay in a fleapit of a hotel somewhere in Bangkok for 14 days of Quarantine if she has a medical certificate to say she is clear why can she not quarantine in our Thai home all she has to do is show our yellow book as proof of address that’s what most of Europe are doing “ self quarantine “ 

Sorry, what do your wife and your sense of entitlement have to do with my visa (extension of stay, amnesty or whatever term the cool pedants are using)?

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, overherebc said:
15 hours ago, innosiem said:

so, can i get my 60 day extension (or 1 year if they insist)
in September ?

I would wait til tuesday next next week before I try to answer that one.

Since there has been recent reports of people seeking 60-day extensions being told by Chiang Mai and Udon Thani immigration officers to wait until after the next official announcement, I think it's a given that 60-day extensions will be issued from 1 August. Both these offices were reportedly processing 60-day extensions normally to the few who sought them until maybe 7-10 days ago when they went into 'standby' mode.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ranshoko said:

Well it all had to end sooner or later. Many taking advantage of the situation will be disappointed. 

The amnesty basically got extended until Sep 26 and there will be an option to extend with another 30 days....This is arguably the best possible news....

Who would be disappointed? Lol

45 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

... My wife is stuck in the UK and reluctantly I have told her to stay there until all this comes to an end I refuse to let her stay in a fleapit of a hotel somewhere in Bangkok for 14 days of Quarantine if she has a medical certificate to say she is clear why can she not quarantine in our Thai home all she has to do is show our yellow book as proof of address that’s what most of Europe are doing “ self quarantine “ 

Thailand has very recently had issues with diplomats and foreign army chaps that didn't give a toss about quarantine rules so regrettably your wife has fat chance of bucking the trend. Nobody trusts what other countries say they are doing about Covid-19 either.

As to "a fleapit of a hotel"...

1. Movenpick Wellness BDMS Resort Hotel, Bt60,300 for 14 days.

2. Qiu Hotel Sukhumvit (79 rooms), Bt32,000 per 14 days.

3. The Idle Residence (64 rooms), Bt50,000 to 60,000 per 14 days

4. Grand Richmond Hotel (66 rooms), Bt55,000 per 14 days

5. Royal Benja (80 rooms), Bt45,000 per 14 days

6. Anantara Siam (8 rooms), Bt144,000 per 14 days

7. Grand Centrepoint Sukhumvit 55 (114 rooms), Bt55,000 to Bt125,000 per 14 days

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389446

• Like 2

18 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah, think I'll make the trip into my local Immigration office next week and see if they can shed some light on the announcement.

I don't think that will help much, what your local IO tells you could differ from the one in the next province.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
19 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I don't think that will help much, what your local IO tells you could differ from the one in the next province.

But, he's not going to be doing anything at the IO in the 'next province' is he?

It's always a good idea to get it direct from the local horse's mouth.

• Like 1