This means amnesty till 26 september?

Nothing is approved yet. As of today, the government has announced the following that they will propose a grace period to the cabinet for approval. This will happen on Tuesday. All of this is just speculation and gossip. This was just posted today. We will need to wait to see what the cabinet approves first before we start giving advice to people. 

2A94D13D-7315-42C2-9903-5A1680CBB371.png

On 7/19/2020 at 8:14 AM, Phillip9 said:

It is very highly optimistic to think the borders will be open by September 26.  They might still be closed September 26, 2021.

I fhink the biggest worry is going to be the 100.000$  Corona Virus insurance, how is that going to affect those with existing health conditions and over 70 years old, and where are you going to get it?

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

No difference between the new one and the existing one.

No need to apply for an extension until near the end of it if you have not left the country.

Discussed already in other topics here and in the news forum.

The difference is that nothing has been approved yet. As of today at around 3PM, this is the only official announcement. We don’t know what the cabinet will approve tomorrow so better wait to advise people until then.

45EC7A25-6B75-4F52-A40D-F25C03595C2B.png

On 7/19/2020 at 6:00 PM, BritTim said:

You will need a better justification for a further non standard extension than "if I leave, it will be difficult for me to come back".

It's already proposed to make the stay beyond Sept 26 as illegal and people may be prosecuted for staying illegally (overstay) and be blacklisted. It is like a final warning and two months grace period for making your stay legal by extending it as appropriate or leave. To extend your stay as appropriate, one needs to prove his case why he needs to stay in Thailand. Simply saying my country men and women has <deleted> up my country and made it a cesspool of infection is not going to cut it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There could easily be a situation, where one needs a letter from their embassy, which will be impossible in many cases, and that will be the cash cow for the agents.

"Case by case basis".....how about just plain godforsaken nightmare.

Edited by moontang

On 7/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, Phillip9 said:

Man you are thinking way too much.  Remember these articles had quotes translated from Thai into English.  I’m sure the Thai word for amnesty is completely different and has nothing to do with the original Greek.  A lot  gets lost in the rough translations in Bangkok post articles.

Yes and I think irrespective of what they are referring it as, both the July 31 and Sep 26 deadlines are the same in effect. Someone who has not yet used their 60 day stay or is going for a 1-year stay should be able to do this anytime between now and Sep 26. That's the whole point - to declare an end date for all this, allowing everyone to get back in status. After Sep 26, barring any unforeseen circumstances, special extensions will only be granted in person, with the right documentation, for 30 days at a time and probably for a fee.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

Yes and I think irrespective of what they are referring it as, both the July 31 and Sep 26 deadlines are the same in effect. Someone who has not yet used their 60 day stay or is going for a 1-year stay should be able to do this anytime between now and Sep 26. That's the whole point - to declare an end date for all this, allowing everyone to get back in status. After Sep 26, barring any unforeseen circumstances, special extensions will only be granted in person, with the right documentation, for 30 days at a time and probably for a fee.

dream on