What do you wish you had known before you moved to Thailand

IvGeg

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You mean the 600 pounds?

Me too, I spend more then that a week the British monthly pension sure seems low and lousy.

I need 70k baht a month to live a modest life here with a family of 6, and that doesn't include holidays, Thailand is only cheap if you eat Thai, have no private health insurance for the family and sit on a bar stool to avoid going on holidays, still reckon the UK pension would be touch and go as it is as you say, low and lousy.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Sorry. My opinion. And most Thai opinion. Especially South people. 

Uncomfortable truth.

You need to associate with decent Thai people and then you would know you are wrong. Do not go on first impressions because good Thai people will judge their own on character.

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I need 70k baht a month to live a modest life here with a family of 6, and that doesn't include holidays, Thailand is only cheap if you eat Thai, have no private health insurance for the family and sit on a bar stool to avoid going on holidays, still reckon the UK pension would be touch and go as it is as you say, low and lousy.

you would be surprised how expensive it is to drink out every day,

it can surpass your 70k for everything

• Like 2

What do you wish you had known before you moved to Thailand

That within 12 years I would have to endure all the bureaucratic paperwork and strict financial requirements to get a non-O retirement visa!. But now I am a "happy bunny" as I live happily relaxed in stress free and visa friendly Cambodia.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scammed said:

you would be surprised how expensive it is to drink out every day,

it can surpass your 70k for everything

Drinking out isnt that expensive.................its when you go in to bars that the costs mount up

Drinking out.................side 7/11's is quite reasonable 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Fair enough,

but most of us have natural sex desires. A one night stand is not that common here ( Well was anyway). 

So buying "intimicy" is the most "easy way". 

One can have a night out, go to movie, restaurant, club or whatever, both parties know very well how it will end. 

In the extended family trap? 

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Thailand is NOT a discount anymore...

Housing costs alone here for everything are about 1/10th my home country.

Maybe you are doing something wrong big discount here in my opinion.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

You need to associate with decent Thai people and then you would know you are wrong. Do not go on first impressions because good Thai people will judge their own on character.

Obvious some member will not like what I say, because,, you know.

The OP ask advice about live in Thailand.

BEFORE I post other guys talk about the sex workers.

SO I tell him IMO. 

If you think it good advice marry a sex worker, that your opinion. Not my opinion, or anybody I know think that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Drinking out isnt that expensive.................its when you go in to bars that the costs mount up

You must have missed the other thread advertising the 44 b bar beers.  Sit there for an hour or two and nurse it no one will notice.

5 minutes ago, scammed said:

lol, we just have a different definition of what 'going out' refer to

Pub open late. 

7/11 open later! 

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Big crowd at a table in front of my local booze shop this evening.

15% cheaper than 7-11.

( 3x Dark moon 300ml wine coolers @28bht/bottle with 7.5% alcohol)

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You must have missed the other thread advertising the 44 b bar beers.  Sit there for an hour or two and nurse it no one will notice.

44bht for a beer is a little rich for me .......

I'm drinking 28bht Full Moon wine coolers, 300ml and 7.5% alc. ...... way better value than Chang.

A simple calculation ......

2 large Changs @ 55bht = 110bht.

4 Full moon wine coolers (Dark) @ 28bht = 112bht.

But the Chang is 5%, and the Full Moon is 7.5%

So the Full moon has 50% more alcohol for the same money!

Edited by BritManToo

I wish I had known you could easily go into a bar and barfine a girl and take her away with you for about a few days.

Cutting a long story short, I met this girl, the following day, I  booked and paid for us to go on a tour, she kept asking me for money, so I told her it was over, and had to go on the trip by myself, if I had known about barfines, I could have went into a bar and would not have had to go on the tour alone.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

388 per person per day.

you tell me the other thread you are rich guy? ????

That I am Yinn, in Thai standards, enough to last me till I am 101 based on a 70,000 baht per month budget, do the math 60 years young next month.

388 baht per person per day is about a Thai's daily wage isn't it ?

Times that x 6 = 2,328 baht per day or $110 AUS pretty much the same as it would cost me to survive in Australia if I had a house and car paid off, that said, here I am free to use my money to invest and earn at least that so that I am not dipping into my own funds, I suppose that's hard for you to fathom, I'm sorry, I missed your point ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Obvious some member will not like what I say, because,, you know.

The OP ask advice about live in Thailand.

BEFORE I post other guys talk about the sex workers.

SO I tell him IMO. 

If you think it good advice marry a sex worker, that your opinion. Not my opinion, or anybody I know think that.

But you did not tell him you are a Thai snob. He will know what that means.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

44bht for a beer is a little rich for me .......

I'm drinking 28bht Full Moon wine coolers, 300ml and 7.5% alc. ...... way better value than Chang.

A simple calculation ......

2 large Changs @ 55bht = 110bht.

4 Full moon wine coolers (Dark) @ 28bht = 112bht.

But the Chang is 5%, and the Full Moon is 7.5%

So the Full moon has 50% more alcohol for the same money!

Drink them 2 large changs with a straw and you'll get a heaps better buzz on then them 4 girls drinks.

• Haha 1

Nothing.  My decision to move here was based on frequent work visits while I was living in Singapore so I had a good idea of what to expect.  I compared it with Singapore, and other Southeast Asian countries that my work took me to, and, after 3 years of doing so, at the ripe old age of 23, chose to relocate to Bangkok.  That was 1990.  I've no reason to regret that decision, and imagine that others who did some proper research, and spent more time here than a two week holiday for a few years before deciding to make the move, would also be happier with their decision than those who didn't. 

• Like 1