Underground lottery part of everyday life for many Bangkokians: poll

webfact

Underground lottery part of everyday life for many Bangkokians: poll

8pm.jpg

Graphic: 77kaoded

A poll in Bangkok showed what the residents think about the underground lottery.

Three quarters know it is illegal but many accept a flutter as part of daily life. 

Half of the population think it's normal. Less than half think government action is warranted to stop it. 

Only the official government lottery is legal in Thailand yet a huge number of people play the illegal underground version betting on the last two or three numbers in particular, notes Thaivisa. The results of the poll will come as no surprise. 

Ban Somdej asked 1,123 of the capital's residents a number of questions between July 8th - 11th.

Asked if they have ever seen betting on the underground lottery 63.5 said yes, 23.8% no and 12.7% were not sure.

Asked if betting on it was a normal facet of life 49.3 agreed, 32.2% disagreed and 18.5 weren't sure.

Questioned as to whether respondents played the lottery 35.9 said yes, 50.8% no and 13.3% were not sure.

Only 38.2 % thought the government should meddle in the underground lottery, 29.7 said leave it alone and 32.1 weren't sure.

Asked if they knew it was illegal 76.5% said they did. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-20

I know a woman who runs an underground lottery.  Twice a day.  Guess the last two numbers at which the SET closes at lunch and at close. Twenty baht a guess. She has so many regulars I wonder where they get the money.

This is up country not in any town.

Guns_girls_Gambling_Ganja.jpg?v=14041846

Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja: Thailand's Illegal Economy and Public Policy – October 1, 1998

It seems not much changed in the last decades...

P.S.: For anybody who didn't read this book until now: Read it! It will open your eyes and explain a lot of what is going on.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 6:10 AM, lujanit said:

I know a woman who runs an underground lottery.  Twice a day.  Guess the last two numbers at which the SET closes at lunch and at close. Twenty baht a guess. She has so many regulars I wonder where they get the money.

This is up country not in any town.

Well my wife paid her mothers gambling debt of about 70,000 baht. So there comes the money from.

Four months ago the GF played the same numbers on both and her payout totalled 240,000 baht. The illegal lottery uses the same numbers as drawn by the legal, and pays better.
It would take a well organized group with deep pockets to run an illegal lottery through out Thailand. Interestingly her book maker’s  son is a policeman.

Just saying. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:10 AM, lujanit said:

You wonder where they get B20?