Exercising with an injured upper back

RickG16

Pretty sure I've pulled / torn a muscle in my upper back near my neck, or at least had a serious spasm. 

I'm on the mend now after 6 days and been taking painkillers / muscle relaxants when needed. However as I've been trying to rest I've not been tired at night as I haven't been exercising.

Running certainly isn't doable as my neck still has a restricted range of motion. So are there any alternative exercises I could try to make myself tired? Would going on an exercise bike in the gym be OK?

Cheers 

Time to find a Physical Therapist and start with range of motion exercises and neck stretches.  Still need to get a few massages, some e-stim and ice, not sure if you need ultrasound or not to loosen up what the issue may be.

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Time to find a Physical Therapist and start with range of motion exercises and neck stretches.  Still need to get a few massages, some e-stim and ice, not sure if you need ultrasound or not to loosen up what the issue may be.

Thanks. Still been less than a week so still healing... I should say that the injury occured in the gym

I'm not looking so much for exercises for the upper back, more for ways I can exercise my lower body without hurting my upper back / neck.

How about lying flat on a hard surface like the floor or a weight bench and exercising your legs (flutters, lift, bicycle)? if your upper back is flat on the surface you could probably even try some arm exercises.

When I exercise after injury I try to work gingerly around the pain. Just go in slowly and your body will let you know in no uncertain terms when it isn't happy.

58 minutes ago, Why Me said:

How about lying flat on a hard surface like the floor or a weight bench and exercising your legs (flutters, lift, bicycle)? if your upper back is flat on the surface you could probably even try some arm exercises.

When I exercise after injury I try to work gingerly around the pain. Just go in slowly and your body will let you know in no uncertain terms when it isn't happy.

Yeah I did try some mat exercises and it really hurt! Should probably just rest and forget about the exercise for now....

Even getting out of beds been tricky. Had to use the log roll where you 'put your feet on the ground first. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Even getting out of beds been tricky. Had to use the log roll where you 'put your feet on the ground first.

Ouch! Been there done rest. Rest, my friend, and ibuprofen. You'll fork it up even more if you rush.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1