Cat Eye Problem

My adolescent cat has received a good scratch to her eye and seems to have a slight infection. She still has a small gash very close to the socket. She has some discharge. Our vet is a 3-4-hour trip and I am wondering if I could possibly use some of my own antibiotic cream around her eye? Is this dangerous? Anything I should know? I have 3 different kinds of antibiotic creams, so if it were OK, what kind would work best?

BTW- she has been spayed – but she has NOT received her booster shots- we bought them, but they are in the fridge, we didn’t want to vaccinate her if she was ill.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Kindly, HH

:o

post-7678-1177303058.jpg

My adolescent cat has received a good scratch to her eye and seems to have a slight infection. She still has a small gash very close to the socket. She has some discharge. Our vet is a 3-4-hour trip and I am wondering if I could possibly use some of my own antibiotic cream around her eye? Is this dangerous? Anything I should know? I have 3 different kinds of antibiotic creams, so if it were OK, what kind would work best?

BTW- she has been spayed – but she has NOT received her booster shots- we bought them, but they are in the fridge, we didn’t want to vaccinate her if she was ill.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Kindly, HH

:o

What a beautiful cat on the picture!!!

I'm not too knowledgable on cats (Bambina can much better answer this question, I believe), and thus it is a bit risky, but this is what I found in my veterinarian book:

Conjunctivitis: Rinse the eye with boric acid. Then apply an ointment containing a combination of neomycin, bacitracin and polymyxin.

Check the eye for foreign bodies and if there's case of a corneal abrasion. In case of foreign body flush the eye in order to get it out. If the foreign body pentrates the eye itself, or there is damage to the eye, you need to have to go to the vet asap.

Hope this will be of some help,

Nienke

From these signs Conjunctivitis, discharge from the eyes, swallen eyes and tearing ..You'd be concerned about Upper respiratory tract infection in cat - Cat flu

For eye ointment

you can use something likes Nienke posted

or Chloramphenicol eye ointment // terramycin (2-3 times a days)

or gentamycin eye drop (every 2-3 hrs)

Edited by BambinA

From these signs Conjunctivitis, discharge from the eyes, swallen eyes and tearing ..You'd be concerned about Upper respiratory tract infection in cat - Cat flu

For eye ointment

you can use something likes Nienke posted

or Chloramphenicol eye ointment (2-3 times a days)

or gentamycin eye drop (every 2-3 hrs)

Hi Bambina,

But what in case the cornea has been damaged a little? What can we do then? Terramycin oinment? Or is it much better to visit the vet in such a case. After all, we are talking about eyes, here. Bbrrr.

Nienke

Hi Bambina,

But what in case the cornea has been damaged a little? What can we do then? Terramycin oinment? Or is it much better to visit the vet in such a case. After all, we are talking about eyes, here. Bbrrr.

Nienke

In corneal ulcer case ..

1)antibioty ointment /drop

2)escape using eye drop which has steroid as ingredient (make bigger ulcer )

3)healing promoter agent,such as solcoseryl eye gel or cyclosporin solution is helpful

Edited by BambinA

Hi Bambina,

Nienke

In corneal ulcer case ..

1)antibioty ointment /drop

2)escape using eye drop which has steroid as ingredient (make bigger ulcer )

3)healing promoter agent,such as solcoseryl eye gel or cyclosporin solution is helpful

Thanks Bambina, for the answer,

Nienke

Thanks SO much ladies! Ironically as soon as I posted this, she got a wee bit better. but there still is a little discharge so I'll give the cream a try and watch her closely.

She did have a fever and / flu last week, but she is back to her ol' kitty self now. Are there different signs for the cat flu you speak of?

Would it be safe to give her the booster shots now ? or should I wait until it's ALL cleared up?

Kindly,

HH and Miss Lulu

Thanks SO much ladies! Ironically as soon as I posted this, she got a wee bit better. but there still is a little discharge so I'll give the cream a try and watch her closely.

She did have a fever and / flu last week, but she is back to her ol' kitty self now. Are there different signs for the cat flu you speak of?

Would it be safe to give her the booster shots now ? or should I wait until it's ALL cleared up?

Kindly,

HH and Miss Lulu

NEVER EVER vaccinate when the immune system is down. In other words, better wait untill your cat is perfectly healthy again,

Nienke