Two Thai immigration officers transferred for allegedly taking visa extension bribes

webfact

28 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It will if only stupid farang grow some balls upon arriving at an immigration office. No receipt. No pay. What's the officer gonna do? 

Not accept your application.  It's what they Actually Do Right Now for extensions, if you fall into criteria they have set up (varies by office).

28 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They tried to charge me 4-500 Baht (no receipt) to transfer my old passport stamps to my new one. I refused to pay. Did I get kicked out. No.

Did I get my stamps transferred? Yes no problem. No charge.

Nice it worked out that way for that document, but they can demand unobtainium 'extra requirements' for extensions.  Then another, then another, sometimes ad infinitum.

16 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

They should fire all these bribe taking IO's and name and shame them all over the news, have their bank accounts all frozen and make them pay back those money they took as bribes plus a massive fine for each bribe taken.

Where I come from, it would be that, plus felony prison time, for what they do as "normal business."   This tends to be very effective at putting an end to this - at least at the lower levels of bureaucracies. 

At the "millions of dollars" level, even the threat of summary executions don't stop it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If that was true, it would not be anybody wanting to run that kind of business.

Let's break that down with imaginary numbers.....14.000 for extension. 4,000 for agent X 10 per week, 2 per day..... Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be an agent for 160,000 per month???

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

Let's break that down with imaginary numbers.....14.000 for extension. 4,000 for agent X 10 per week, 2 per day..... Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be an agent for 160,000 per month???

Buriram under the table is done by the IO's themselves so I'm led to believe. And they charge 30,000+ so I'm told.

36 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

Sure. To me almost 28,6% is not to be considered that almost all goes to immigration as Jacko stated. 28,6% is good for the agent and much more than a supermarket have in margin. Anyway, back to the thing in question. Over 1/4 of something can not be seen as almost everything lost.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

They should fire all these bribe taking IO's and name and shame them all over the news, have their bank accounts all frozen and make them pay back those money they took as bribes plus a massive fine for each bribe taken.

Just getting fired from government service would be a major loss of face in it self.  Paying back the money instead of gaol is going easy on Them. 

Edited by Grumpy John
Stupid bloody word correct function is nuts.
  • Like 1

Stationary shops will have to shut down if they can't sell brown envelopes. There's a rumour that you must buy certain jobs so without brown envelopes and staying in situe for at least 3 years you would lose money on the job you bought.