UK passport application backlog reaches 400,000 due to coronavirus

webfact

UK passport application backlog reaches 400,000 due to coronavirus

_110992859_bluepassports.jpg

Newly-issued British passports carry a dark blue design after the UK's departure from the EU

Pictures: PA, BBC

A backlog of more than 400,000 passport applications has mounted due to disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic, figures show.

Home Office minister Baroness Williams said reduced staffing to allow social distancing meant forms were taking longer to process.

She said steps were being taken to increase capacity after travel restrictions were eased. But those applying may have to wait longer than the usual three weeks.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53494998

bbc.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2020-07-23

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

It seems that new passports are the least on people's minds now that there isn't many places you can travel to and use your new passports now days in't?...

Odd comment considering 400,000 are waiting for a new passport. 

As reasonable people globally know, you cannot apply for a one year extension on permission to stay with less than six months remaining on a pissport. 

It would be front and centre for half a million concerned individuals.

This story surprised me.  I applied for my UK passport (in the UK) online 4 July and sent my old passport off.   21 July I received an email telling me that my new passport was on its way to me by secure courier.  Maybe I just got lucky.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

It seems that new passports are the least on people's minds now that there isn't many places you can travel to and use your new passports now days in't?...

Lol, you can travel freely in Europe, I know people from the UK who are on holiday in France and Rome right now.

Life goes on, in Europe....