Thailand’s flight ban might extend

webfact

18 hours ago, baansgr said:

Won't be worth coming...by then everything in every tourist town will be closed

You may well have hit the nail on the head.  I am seeing it in Hua Hin now.  I always said that as soon as they allow the bars and restaurants to reopen, they would struggle.  They now have to pay full rent again, plus staff wages etc. etc. But there are no customers, particularly in the areas such as Bintabaht, which are frequented more by tourists than locals. Watch this space for many cheap bars and restaurants on the market.  Many are already starting to realise the dire situation they are in and cutting their losses.  But every cloud has a silver lining and those that do survive will have less competition.

2 hours ago, black tabby said:

Thai inbound tourism sector will not survive until December.

Once bustling Chiang Mai's  Ratchadamnoen Rd(Tha Phe Gate to Wat Phrasing) is now dead quiet day or night. Diners and local tour operators are closing down one after another.

Hotels are open, but no new check-ins.

No tourists, no income.  How can they stay alive?

Their future is very bleak indeed.

It's not just Thailand, plenty of resorts in Europe are struggling and the borders are open (restrictions for some countries). It's going to be a massive reset for tourism in Thailand.

18 hours ago, Traubert said:

They'll all be quarantined as per the report yesterday.

Quarantine is a good idea. But where do you keep and test and feed all of them? Those shacks they usually ljve in won't make suitable quarantine facilities.

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Yeah, stuck. I'm getting serious cabin fever, usually I exited Thailand every 1-2 months to retain some sort of sanity, dealing with Thais for extended periods is bad for the mental health. As soon as the quarantines stop...

Why are you living in Thailand if you need to escape every 1 - 2 months??

Another expat moaning...my god why dont you find another place in the world to live.

5 hours ago, black tabby said:

Thai inbound tourism sector will not survive until December.

Once bustling Chiang Mai's  Ratchadamnoen Rd(Tha Phe Gate to Wat Phrasing) is now dead quiet day or night. Diners and local tour operators are closing down one after another.

Hotels are open, but no new check-ins.

No tourists, no income.  How can they stay alive?

Their future is very bleak indeed.

Well their used to be coal and tin mines in the UK, whale ships, and buggy-whips.

Plenty of industries have disappeared in history. The Elites and middle class in Thailand don't want westerners but, we will be allowed eventually, on a group tour or confined to a resort. New model of tourism prepaid Asian group travel. Guided to pre-selected operators and eateries. Going where you want freely "a thing of the past". Maybe they will meet you with one of those flags?

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, 7fish said:
13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've been watching several walking videos from a number of cities and it's the same everywhere. They all look much more pleasant with far less traffic and few people on the streets.

well maybe it will be permanently like that once a few million have starved following the total crash of the economy, and resulting depression.

Depends on each country, doesn't it. Thailand sees no reason to spend any of its massive foreign currency reserves to prevent the people starving as those in charge have no interest in anyone other than the rich. My native UK, on the other hand, has taken the plunge and mortgaged the country to assist the population as far as it is possible.

15 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Sure that`s true. That`s why I would propose to start a quota system. Like every country which has had less than lets say 3-5 active cases per 100.000 people within the last 30-45 days will get on the "can fly in" list. Those tourists would have to show a negative covid test, health certificate, use the tracking app and if there stay in longer, take another covid test after 2 weeks. 

>90% of the tourists would still NOT come, but the ones coming would be an absolute minimal risk. Such an approach would surely save a lot businesses/jobs here. However, of course no Thai official would come up with such a strategy/ noone would approve that. 

"Thai officials" will soon do something if they find their income streams going down, if their income steams keep up. then nothing much will change.

Just think, if the unemployment among ordinary Thais keeps going up, and these "Thai officials" have to contribute out of their own personal wealth, just watch everything changing very quickly.

13 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

Expats and the like should be relieved on how long it's going to take to open up again. Why you might ask? Because you can bet when they do decide to open the gates, whether people return or not, there will more demands on wearing masks, and much more signatures required at every door you enter. Mask will be about control, Thai's love to control the foreigners, remember "you, you, you, over here & stand there, sit down, ok come here, sit down here", with relations to signatures at the doors, they are selling the data to ad agencies, if you noticed once you starting putting your details down on the dotted line, you starting getting sms messages and popups on your mobile; if you gave your true number....? 

They have already stated Elite card holders will be allowed into the country, as will WP, Teachers, and Expats with family, to those gripes are behind us really. I have met at least a dozen ladies from HK whose parents purchased the elite visa for their beloved daughter, so I know first hand they are getting in, and to our advantage, I might add. 

In the end we really don't want the government to officially open the gates until the other countries follow suit, do we? I plan to leave the country asap, and not look back. I just need the other countries on my list to open up freely so traveling around to find a good location to move to isn't stressful and paperwork demanding. I certainly don't wish for more trips to the cashier everytime I enter a convenience store, so they can scan my head, since they are to lazy or cheap to post someone at the door to do the service they feel they must provide. I would think that wearing the mask would be sufficient, even if I had the virus, as it's supposed to control the spread, no? But I certainly don't want to wait in line at the grocery stores entrance so I can get scanned and sign in on a piece of paper, that we can surely bet is not getting entered into any sort of data base, other than that of the ad companies which are paying for the data, therefore paying for the people that are demanding our details.

I never sign my right name or give my correct phone number to enter any stores.

The article appears to be saying that no international flights will be allowed

into Thailand until Thai Airways International is in a position to begin operations

again - probably December.  Is that the intention?  Or is this just another probable

Junta ruling?   There will be few tourist venues alive by December - so good

luck resurrecting that area of Thai enterprise.

3 hours ago, Teee said:

Why are you living in Thailand if you need to escape every 1 - 2 months??

Another expat moaning...my god why dont you find another place in the world to live.

Can you not understand that some people have bought houses here and have families and very happy marriages, so it is not easy for them to go anywhere else.

Deserted beaches
Near empty hotels
Discounted beer
Discounted hotel rooms
Discounted shopping at clothing (& other) retailers
Discounted rental accommodation

Zero COVID-19 throughout the entire country
Discounted foot massages
FA tourists

Discounted rental females
Abundant, beautiful, under-employed non “flesh workers” looking for farang for dinner and ....

Livin’ the dream has never been better

Long may international flights not re-commence, except for those whom live here or have families here. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

1. Migrant laborers will be required to quarantine for 14 days and undergo testing.

2. Zero community transmission in the neighboring countries, in most cases for over 2 months now.

Amazing isn't it. 3rd world health care system.. close quarter living.

Minimal transmission.. minimal deaths. In Australia 2x90 yr olds and 1x 80 + yr old died.. and the sky is falling.... Nasty virus.. but not needing a whole sale global economic collapse

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Deserted beaches
Near empty hotels
Discounted beer
Discounted hotel rooms
Discounted shopping at clothing (& other) retailers
Discounted rental accommodation

Zero COVID-19 throughout the entire country
Discounted foot massages
FA tourists

Discounted rental females
Abundant, beautiful, under-employed non “flesh workers” looking for farang for dinner and ....

Livin’ the dream has never been better

Long may international flights not re-commence, except for those whom live here or have families here. 

You must be the only person happy with this situation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shammy said:

Minimal transmission.. minimal deaths. In Australia 2x90 yr olds and 1x 80 + yr old died.. and the sky is falling.... Nasty virus.. but not needing a whole sale global economic collapse

Except your version of events did not occur. you might want to look at the hard data that is now coming out.

1 hour ago, Shammy said:

Minimal transmission.. minimal deaths. ....

on the contrary...very, very low population density, and that had likely been a big factor

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

You must be the only person happy with this situation 

You’re wrong. Read all of the posts. There’s quite a few happy about the flight bans (as opposed to “this situation”.)

Edited by Nemises

21 hours ago, hatyaiair said:

I am somewhat confused by the so called International commercial flight ban as I landed at BKK airport on Tuesday at 11 am and there was a KLM, Air France and Qatar jet on the move and clearly working unlike the graveyard of Thai airplanes parked permanently on the runway.  2 weeks ago I was in Chiang Rai airport and there was a flight going to China and full of Chinese tourists.  Lines and lines of them dressed up like spacemen in white suits with masks. and they were definitely tourist, not returning expats.  So if no International flights are arriving what is really going on?  How did the plane in Chiang Rai with the tourists arrive?  Again we are not getting the full story.  BKK airport was like a ghost town!

IMG_4417_1024x641.JPG

IMG_4424_1024x768.JPG

Etheopian Airlines a.d Hong Kong Express also both list flights to Hong Kong (HKEX daily by their schedule ).

Pretty sure these are not repatriation flights?

On 7/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Not all hotels are closed.  I am headed back to Cape Panwa to stay at the Pullman resort in a Seaview room with all amenities included, 3 meals a day, drinks, transfers to and from the hotel back to the airport.  With the Airfare I paid on Bangkok Airways and the 8 day package it ran about 37,000 baht for both the GF and myself.  Just returned 2 weeks ago from Staying at the Cape Panwa resort same type of deal.

I will book a few more trips from Bangkok to Phuket in November and December.

Wow, good deal!  Where can I get info on the 8 day package that you had?  Tks