Visa Restriction On Motorbike Registration?

heybruce

Perhaps this question has been answered elsewhere in this forum, but I haven't been able to find it. Is there a visa restriction on motorbike ownership/registration in Thailand? I have a multiple enty type O visa and I am tired of renting. A friend told me I have to have a work permit, business visa, retirement visa, or some othe more pemanent form of visa to register a motorbike. If this is true I suspect there are ways around it; I'm pretty sure a lot of the farang I know who own bikes are on type O visas. Thans for any help on this.

Hi

To put it in my name they just wanted proof of residence from embassy, even my thai driving license with the address on wasn't good enough.

Wasn't asked for passport, or what visa I had.

Warwick

You can get that proof of address at a local Immigration office too, and it's free, or should be unless you live somewhere like Pattaya where they charge for everything.

Last year I went to an Immigration office well away from a Farang area, they were really helpful and polite.I got the proof of address letter there free of charge and I was on a 30 Day stamp from the Airport.

A few years ago I got one at Pattaya Immigration for a previous Car, and was charged 400 baht.

In reality there is no charge for the service, although areas where there are plenty of farangs tend to charge.

Not all local immigration police offices are the same. Chiang Mai has been requiring a long term visa for many months now, to register a motor vehicle. Your results may vary.

Ok, that's important. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I live in Chiang Mai, and it is here that I was told that I need a work permit. Is a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa considered long term?

If you check the Chiang Mai forum, you should find info about the visa required. There was some talk that a mere, unextended type O or B visa, which in a way is only good for 90 days at a time, was not considered longterm. No, the work permit is not required in Chiang Mai. When I did my 90 day report a week or two ago, the sign was still posted on the counter (it's the building to the left as you enter, not the semi-open area on the right of the car park).

If you check the Chiang Mai forum, you should find info about the visa required. There was some talk that a mere, unextended type O or B visa, which in a way is only good for 90 days at a time, was not considered longterm. No, the work permit is not required in Chiang Mai. When I did my 90 day report a week or two ago, the sign was still posted on the counter (it's the building to the left as you enter, not the semi-open area on the right of the car park).

Thanks. I'll give the Chiang Mai forum a try, and if that fails I'll go to the Immigration office and ask.

Not all local immigration police offices are the same. Chiang Mai has been requiring a long term visa for many months now, to register a motor vehicle. Your results may vary.

Ok, that's important. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I live in Chiang Mai, and it is here that I was told that I need a work permit. Is a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa considered long term?

I registered a motorbike there a month ago. I needed a letter from embassy with my address, and copies of my

passport (don't remember which pages anymore, perhaps frontpage and visa page?).

In my passport I had a 3m imm-o visa, so at least that works, though don't know if it works without

visa also.