Renewing Permission To Stay If Stuck Outside Thailand

I cant see this topic having been raised but please feel free to point me in the right direction if it has.

If a retirement visa holder left Thailand with a re-entry permit before the lockdown and cannot now return and their permission to stay is due to expire, will they be allowed into Thailand after the lockdown finishes and be able to renew or will they have to go through the pain of applying for a brand new visa in their home country. ?

• Like 1

1. You don't have a retirement visa, you have an extension of stay based on retirement.

2. If you cannot get back to Thailand to complete the 'renewal' of the extension by the expiry date you will need to start the whole process again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

OP, as soon as your reentry permit expires you will need start over. Have everything in order re money in bank etc. Enter Thailand (most likely need a setv) attend imm and apply non O retirement. Then within the 90 day permission of stay obtain your annual extension. 

My guess for tourists to enter Thailand will be possibly 2021 at best late 2020

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, as soon as your reentry permit expires you will need start over. Have everything in order re money in bank etc. Enter Thailand (most likely need a setv) attend imm and apply non O retirement. Then within the 90 day permission of stay obtain your annual extension. 

My guess for tourists to enter Thailand will be possibly 2021 at best late 2020

Depending on the country you are from.  Have a feeling Americans might be barred longer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twix38 said:

It's much better here anyway in many ways. Just want somewhere warm to spend winter and plenty of closer choices.

That is not a sentiment one hears too often.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

UK citizens don't qualify for a VOA. They get a 30-day visa-exempt entry (VE.)

True. However it would not surprise me if VE was suspended along with Vietnam VE once entries to Thailand are allowed.

Edited by DrJack54

I have a long standing Resident Book and applied for re-entry in April.

I finally get to fly out end of July.y question is can I extend the return date?

Australia has banned exits indefinitely.

33 minutes ago, RebRat said:

I have a long standing Resident Book and applied for re-entry in April.

I finally get to fly out end of July.y question is can I extend the return date?

Australia has banned exits indefinitely.

You re-entry permit should be valid for a year. You should be able to travel to here before then.

If you want to travel now you can apply for a certificate of entry at the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney and travel to here on a repatriation flight. 

As far as I know you can get a permit to leave Australia if you have proof you are a legal resident of Thailand.

Thanks UbonJoe. I received the RE Entry in April, flights cancelled 4 times and only made it back on Monday.

They way things are going here I dont think its going to be as easy as you claim. However I will keep an open mind.

I did see a brochure online saying extensions are ok, but I think the date of exit might unfairly punish people like me, as I had to return to care for my Mum, which I do every year on rotation with my other siblings.

I have written to the Thai Consulate in Sydney for clarification at any rate.

Im fairly confident they will have no idea and just say be in Thailand on due date.

Thanks again, cheers