UK trade deal unlikely for now: Britain, EU clash over post-Brexit ties

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

and   no payments to their new members ,,potless old balkans countries ..Turkey (applied in 1987), North Macedonia (applied in 2004), Montenegro (applied in 2008), Albania (applied in 2009), and Serbia (applied in 2009). All have started accession negotiations...that will need shedloads of cash to rebuild their decrepit infrastructures ..for german construction companies to build roads and metro systems which they can never afford to build without EU loans

Isn't that leveling up?

It's what civilized civilizations do.

Edited by Surelynot

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The good news just keeps on flowing ????. So we get a clean Brexit with no ties to the EU. No need to let them deplete our fishing waters, no need to donate 100 Billion to the post Covid wealth transfer scheme, no need to follow their protectionist rules and laws, no ECJ Jurisdiction. No more membership fees. Marvelous.

Personally I would withhold the 39 Billion divorce payment as well, since the EU has clearly failed to negotiate in good faith as set out in the political declaration. 

Roll on December. Over 4 years of fighting the anti democrats and their shameful propaganda will all have been worth it. Independence at last .

Well said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Scottish fishing rights is not that big a deal in Scotland. Scottish fishermen know there is plenty of sea out there and plenty of fish in it.

What does have people worried is a no deal Brexit. Most of the catch in Scottish waters is actually exported to, yes, you guessed it, the EU.

If there are tariffs along the lines of WTO then that market is going to disappear. 

Also factor in the huge salmon farming industry in Scotland. Their biggest market is the EU as well. Again tariffs are bad news.

Hard Brexit is certain to mean independence. Johnson and the Brexiteers have been the best recruiting agents Scotland could have asked for. Oddly enough he had another seagull visit to Scotland yesterday.

Swooped in. Crapped everywhere and then flew off again.

He did not even inform the Scottish government of his intention to visit. First they knew about it was reading the newspapers.

cause the majority of scottish fish is exported to the eu,british punters can,t afford to buy it,fear not,when you get your independence the eu will pay for your "free" education and prescriptions in exchange for your bloaters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kingdong said:

cause the majority of scottish fish is exported to the eu,british punters can,t afford to buy it,fear not,when you get your independence the eu will pay for your "free" education and prescriptions in exchange for your bloaters.

Punters will still not be able to afford it with the massive downturn the economy is facing.

You think fishermen can run their businesses at a loss?

Their overheads are going to go up not down.

And in Scotland we pay for free education and prescriptions out of the pocket money Westminster returns to us. Because thats what we want.

You English nationalists simply do not get it do you?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Punters will still not be able to afford it with the massive downturn the economy is facing.

You think fishermen can run their businesses at a loss?

Their overheads are going to go up not down.

And in Scotland we pay for free education and prescriptions out of the pocket money Westminster returns to us. Because thats what we want.

You English nationalists simply do not get it do you?

i,m currently working at a loss due to the current situation,anyone who thinks lifes going to go back to how things were is living in cloud cuckoo land,and if the punters cannot afford fish let them eat caviar,pocket money? bribe seems more apt,still i,m sure the eu will match or exceed westminsters generosity,and i,m not an english nationalist ( an expression that isn,t very pc incidentally) simply comment on things as i see them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, kingdong said:

i,m currently working at a loss due to the current situation,anyone who thinks lifes going to go back to how things were is living in cloud cuckoo land,and if the punters cannot afford fish let them eat caviar,pocket money? bribe seems more apt,still i,m sure the eu will match or exceed westminsters generosity,and i,m not an english nationalist ( an expression that isn,t very pc incidentally) simply comment on things as i see them.

You are working at a loss in the current climate and you think Brexit is a good idea?

I am truly astonished at that.

Westminsters generosity? Are you serious? If Scotland was a drain why does Westminster try so hard to retain it?

I will give you an example. Ireland makes 4% of the worlds whisky and it gives them 2.5 billion pounds.

Scotland makes 80% of the worlds whisky and it gives us less than 4 billion pounds?

How does that work out?

And I will take no lectures from you regarding whats pc. You have on several occasions referred to Scots as sweaty socks. You also take great delight in belittling our first minister.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, dunroaming said:

True enough Johnson, Rees Mogg and their cronies never wanted a trade deal even though they promised us the EU would fall over themselves to give us one.  But that song has been sung enough over the years and we all know that we were sold a pup.  Now Johnson has a whopping majority in the house (thanks to the gullible British public) he can do exactly as he pleases with no effective opposition.  There is no instruction to get a deal as we all can clearly see by the inactivity of the so called negotiator (actually Cummings puppet).

a) Or maybe not?  Boris is clearly panicking over Scotland's renewed appetite for independence, even going up there to try to calm the waters.  And the "waters" is part of the problem.  No deal over fishing rites would be a big deal in Scotland.  (Some input from the Scottish TV members would be appreciated here).  As I see it, if there is no trade deals with the EU then Scotland would press hard for another vote on independence and very probably get it.

b) There is another theory.  And that is that the UK are taking it to the wire and will then agree a deal at the eleventh hour conceding on the points that the EU insist on.  That way it would be too late for the hard core Brexiteers to raise their objections.

The problem, as always, is that this shower never play a straight bat!  Constantly lying and U-turning and ducking and diving.

a) Just 5 months and 5 days: per `1 jan 2021 all British fish entering the EU will feel a WTO-import duty of 15 %. This aside of al vetrinary and food safety certifications, agricultural levies..

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20200726&Area=&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=0302410090&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

so.. bye-bye EU export of fish caught on British ships.

SECTION I LIVE ANIMALS; ANIMAL PRODUCTS
CHAPTER 3 FISH AND CRUSTACEANS, MOLLUSCS AND OTHER AQUATIC INVERTEBRATES 
  Fish, fresh or chilled, excluding fish fillets and other fish meat of heading 0304 :   (TN701)

-   Herrings (Clupea harengus, Clupea pallasii), anchovies (Engraulis spp.), sardines (Sardina pilchardus, Sardinops spp.), sardinella (Sardinella spp.), brisling or sprats (Sprattus sprattus), mackerel (Scomber scombrus, Scomber australasicus, Scomber japonicus), Indian mackerels (Rastrelliger spp.), seerfishes (Scomberomorus spp.), jack and horse mackerel (Trachurus spp.), jacks, crevalles (Caranx spp.), cobia (Rachycentron canadum), silver pomfrets (Pampus spp.), Pacific saury (Cololabis saira), scads (Decapterus spp.), capelin (Mallotus villosus), swordfish (Xiphias gladius), Kawakawa (Euthynnus affinis), bonitos (Sarda spp.), marlins, sailfishes, spearfish (Istiophoridae), excluding edible fish offal of subheadings 0302 91 to 0302 99 :  
0302 41
-  -   Herrings (Clupea harengus, Clupea pallasii) :   (TN084)
0302 41 00 10
-  -  -   Of a weight exceeding 100 g per piece, for processing 
0302 41 00 90 goods_menu.png
-  -   Other 
ERGA OMNES (ERGA OMNES 1011)
Measures for import:
Import control of organic products (01-01-2017 - )   (CD808)
R0834/07
  Excluding:  Switzerland (CH) , Iceland (IS) , Liechtenstein (LI) , Norway (NO)  
  [Show conditions]  
Measures for import:
Third country duty :  15.00 %

b) YOU think, the EU is waitign for the British to re-join ? I peresume the entire EU industry and trade already found alternatives for quite some of the British products into the EU. They had 4 years to get that up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

a) Just 5 months and 5 days: per `1 jan 2021 all British fish entering the EU will feel a WTO-import duty of 15 %. This aside of al vetrinary and food safety certifications, agricultural levies..

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20200726&Area=&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=0302410090&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

Fish, fresh or chilled, excluding fish fillets and other fish meat of heading 0304 :   (TN701)

-   Herrings (Clupea harengus, Clupea pallasii), anchovies (Engraulis spp.), sardines (Sardina pilchardus, Sardinops spp.), sardinella (Sardinella spp.), brisling or sprats (Sprattus sprattus), mackerel (Scomber scombrus, Scomber australasicus, Scomber japonicus), Indian mackerels (Rastrelliger spp.), seerfishes (Scomberomorus spp.), jack and horse mackerel (Trachurus spp.), jacks, crevalles (Caranx spp.), cobia (Rachycentron canadum), silver pomfrets (Pampus spp.), Pacific saury (Cololabis saira), scads (Decapterus spp.), capelin (Mallotus villosus), swordfish (Xiphias gladius), Kawakawa (Euthynnus affinis), bonitos (Sarda spp.), marlins, sailfishes, spearfish (Istiophoridae), excluding edible fish offal of subheadings 0302 91 to 0302 99 :  
0302 41
0302 41 00 10
-  -   Other 
Measures for import:
R0834/07
  [Show conditions]  
Measures for import:

b) YOU think, the EU is waitign for the British to re-join ? I peresume the entire EU industry and trade already found alternatives for quite some of the British products into the EU. They had 4 years to get that up.

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 11:52 AM, Loiner said:

I'm not interested in your lack of publications about the 'fish story'. Although I guess Barnier and Macron are French and make quite a lot of story for publication. Maybe there is little reported because their negotiation position is getting them nowhere and they don't want it made too public. There's already too much political turmoil in France.

Why is Barnier not focused on the real parts, if as you say the fish story is not important?

a) You mean: in Continental EU, this F I S H story is of close-to-zero importance, a non-issue. ONLY and ONLY the British are hammering on it. Why should we ? The majority of the British catch goes anyhow to the EU. From 1 Jan 2021 +15% WTO-import levy...

b) "they don't want it made too public ": You forget a small thing: Many in the EU speak also English, can receive the BBC 1-2+World + many other International news broadcasters, but... opposite...

As a joke from a London commodity trader goes:

when you know two languages, you are bi-lingual

three languages... - triple-langual

4 languages... you are a genious

one langage... you are British...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, puipuitom said:

Only these debts stay in teh same currency: €

For the British, whose GBP went since Brexit vote down from 1 GBP = € 1,35 towards € 1,10 this state debt hurts a lot more. Bye-the-way: when the British were invited to join €, the GBP was around € 1,70. A major job... to bring down your currency so far compared with your most important supplier/customer.

Of course these debts stay in the same € currency€. Hooray!

Why did we not join the Euro? Just look at what happened to the Pound after two years in the ERM. Marvellous that was.

16 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

a) You mean: in Continental EU, this F I S H story is of close-to-zero importance, a non-issue. ONLY and ONLY the British are hammering on it. Why should we ? The majority of the British catch goes anyhow to the EU. From 1 Jan 2021 +15% WTO-import levy...

b) "they don't want it made too public ": You forget a small thing: Many in the EU speak also English, can receive the BBC 1-2+World + many other International news broadcasters, but... opposite...

This F I S H story explains why Norway is not a member of the EU.

47 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

0302 41
0302 41 00 10
-  -   Other 
Measures for import:
R0834/07
  [Show conditions]  
Measures for import:

And I'll have some mushy peas with that lot, please.

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:32 PM, Surelynot said:

Isn't that leveling up?

It's what civilized civilizations do.

Of course it is. Imagine the city of London saying they don’t wanna pay for all those English basket cases anymore. It’s not the typical Brexiteer who’s paying a lot of taxes to subsidize anyone or anything, yet they are the first to complain when the money that other people earned goes towards investing in poorer regions. 

Good that we are rid of them. The Covid stimulus package and taking on debts together wouldn’t have been possible with those whiners. That’s the first step towards a fiscal union. Something that wouldn’t have been possible with the ever blocking UK. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Why do you think Barnier is making such an issue of the UK’s fish?

You can tell me the answer in English or any language you like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, nauseus said:

Of course these debts stay in the same € currency€. Hooray!

Why did we not join the Euro? Just look at what happened to the Pound after two years in the ERM. Marvellous that was.

Er no, read the history, the UK joined the ERM at a stupidly overvalued rate for the £. As the UK economy faltered we bombed out, which cost us many billions. I think you could say we were cruising for a bruising. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Er no, read the history, the UK joined the ERM at a stupidly overvalued rate for the £. As the UK economy faltered we bombed out, which cost us many billions. I think you could say we were cruising for a bruising. 

thatcher took britain into the erm at the level she did to halt the rocketing inflation due to a boom based on property prices that were unsustainable,she preferred recession (or should it have been depression) to inflation.

3 hours ago, transam said:

You are sweating, EU countries are now in turmoil over having to cough up more cash, perhaps a revolt is looming, you just can't survive without the UK's money without paying more....

The UK is now out of that cr_p, folk like you can argue as much as you like, but you are lumbered with it. Looks like Italy is lining up to depart your club, Hungary is spitting blood, many others are very quiet in the background mulling their future, the EU future looks bleak. 

flag.jpg.c0a19863e417a10d33df7563acc88cf3.jpg

The Brexiteers, desperate as ever for others to leave the club.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

You can read and interpret whatever version of history you care to but the Soros shorts, combined with zero help from the Bundesbank, meant that the ERM humiliation was a major factor in the UK not adopting the Euro.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

You are sweating, EU countries are now in turmoil over having to cough up more cash, perhaps a revolt is looming, you just can't survive without the UK's money without paying more....

The UK is now out of that cr_p, folk like you can argue as much as you like, but you are lumbered with it. Looks like Italy is lining up to depart your club, Hungary is spitting blood, many others are very quiet in the background mulling their future, the EU future looks bleak. 

flag.jpg.c0a19863e417a10d33df7563acc88cf3.jpg

Quitaly! ???? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bannork said:

The Brexiteers, desperate as ever for others to leave the club.

Oh noooooooooooooo, you are wrong, if other folk want to be free again, seen the light, then so be it, but you it seems wants to hang onto Germany's apron strings, that's OK, you could go there eh......????

• Like 1