Pattaya is smiling again! Top end hotels at 90% capacity for long holiday weekend

rooster59

It is Tuesday morning now,  last day of the Sat-Tues 4-day extended long weekend. 

Weather had been excellent in Jomtien in the past 3 days.  People were everywhere in Jomtien Beach. 

There were far, far more traffic and people than the Christmas-New Year peak travel season. 

As to comparing to Songkan ?   I do not know as I have never been here during Songkan. 

Observe that Thai children were keen going to the sea,  not the adults. 

Couple of lively long weekend at least brought some life back to town in contrast to the very miserable time in beach closing for over 10 weeks.   Thai know the Thai style and Thai way.   As foreigners,  we really do not know much.  All the sarcastic comment on this thread had been far off. 

Edited by sscc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sscc said:

It is Tuesday morning now,  last day of the Sat-Tues 4-day extended long weekend. 

Weather had been excellent in Jomtien in the past 3 days.  People were everywhere in Jomtien Beach. 

There were far, far more traffic and people than the Christmas-New Year peak travel season. 

As to comparing to Songkan ?   I do not know as I have never been here during Songkan. 

Your sure it’s busier than high season? Don’t think you,ve been here for that either

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Your sure it’s busier than high season? Don’t think you,ve been here for that either

I swam in Jomtien Beach a dozen times during Christmas-New Year peak travel season in the past 5 years.    I was swimming again in Jomtien yesterday afternoon. 

Can tell that you are not a beach guy going to the sea. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sscc said:

I swam in Jomtien Beach a dozen times during Christmas-New Year peak travel season in the past 5 years.    I was swimming again in Jomtien yesterday afternoon. 

Can tell that you are not a beach guy going to the sea. 

Ok the beach’s are open! Try swimming in a nice hotel pool now , that’s if you can find one open! 

• Haha 1

Wonder how they get these % from ? Playing with dices / cards or fortune teller ?

Most Thais are (running) out of money by now and are very desperate, they are surely not in the fabricated 4,56 million registered for the we travel together campaign.

9 hours ago, sscc said:

Observe that Thai children were keen going to the sea,  not the adults. 

Couple of lively long weekend at least brought some life back to town in contrast to the very miserable time in beach closing for over 10 weeks.   Thai know the Thai style and Thai way.   As foreigners,  we really do not know much.  All the sarcastic comment on this thread had been far off. 

so all pattayas / jomtiems financial troubles are ended just go,es to show how right tat  was in targeting " high end" chinese and indian tourists,its obvious the former influxes of farangs contributions to the economy were an urban myth.

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

I love just off Klang,must be twenty 3/4 star within 1/2 k of me,all closed still

point of order old boy,the posts about the finances of pattaya and not your love life in the back streets of pattaya klang.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

so all pattayas / jomtiems financial troubles are ended just go,es to show how right tat  was in targeting " high end" chinese and indian tourists,its obvious the former influxes of farangs contributions to the economy were an urban myth.

If you have the solution to rid of Pattaya/Jomtien financial trouble,  the authorities would surely love to meet up and immediately present to  20-Year Thai Elite Visa card to you. 

Farang contribution to the Pattaya economy had been of course significant for many decades. 

Since the opening of the Central Festivals-Hilton Hotel Complex,  they have intentionally and gradurally heading for a change of visitor demographic and nationality.  ( I wrote about this 2-Day ago,  you can turned back the pages to search ) 

5 hours ago, sscc said:

If you have the solution to rid of Pattaya/Jomtien financial trouble,  the authorities would surely love to meet up and immediately present to  20-Year Thai Elite Visa card to you. 

open the airport so punters could actually visit would be a start.ban sponsoring,its putting them on a pedestal so they get lairy and don,t want to shake their money makers,just sit there all night trying to ponce lady drinks.devalue the baht an attraction pf pattaya used to be cheap booze,with the current rate of exchange you,re paying london pub prices.hope this helps out and look foreward to copping my thai elite card.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:59 PM, BigStar said:

Shopping? Those "Good Guy Go To Heaven, Bad Guy Go To Pattaya" T-shirts? In the end, as the number of baked-beans-on-toast tourists has dwindled, so has the amount of spending on all that cheap stuff. Hence more Thais have benefited as domestic tourist spending has vastly increased over the last 10 years in the better hotels, Thai restos, shopping malls, markets, festivals, discount stores, 7/11s, shopping carts, real estate-related, transport etc. Most of these you have no knowledge of. But the rise of domestic and Asian tourism, plus Russian, has accounted for the vast growth of Pattaya since the heyday of the GGLs in 1995, as I've previously shown you. Claiming that all the buildings are empty (pre-COVID) is the usual specious nonsense.

being an eco warrior i,m glad about the lack of baked beans on toast tourists,the resultant flatulence is playing havoc with the ozone layer and is also not very pleasant to be in range of.

22 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Where does that info come from, crystal ball ?

Although posit you are a cynical one, I do agree that 'most' Thais are not desperate. There is a lot of wealth in Thailand, esp middle class which has been growing for a number of years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Where does that info come from, crystal ball ?

I understand your knowledge of the Thai language is zero.

A lot of Thai people are complaining about the current situation and are worried what the future will bring.

Maybe you take some time and chat with ordinary Thai people.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:54 AM, bkk6060 said:

It has been discussed many times.  Many condos actualĺy facilitate the ST renters.  At The Base maybe the busiest "hotel" in the city normally 100's a day coming and going.

It seems the hotel owners are partly responsible do to lack of organization and leadership.  They could stop the ST renters with proper intervention with the authorities, customers who then would be directed toward hotel stays.  But, they do nothing 

as their hotel busineeses continue to suffer.

The fact they do nothing may suggest the developers have more power and influence than the hoteliers.    

On 7/27/2020 at 3:08 PM, BigStar said:

Question of the day: Why do threads on domestic tourism always go off topic in the same direction?

Nothing about this topic or similar suggests that domestic tourism is the answer to reviving Thailand’s economy.

But domestic tourism undeniably offers some welcome economic contribution and sometimes the fact just can’t be ignored. It is, after all, responsible for about 1/3 of total revenue generation from tourism in Thailand.

But this puts TAT: TVF in a terribly awkward position, as it has always refused to recognize any Thai domestic tourism. Of course the members know perfectly well the importance of domestic tourism in their own countries. Why the disparity then?

The problem seems to be that Thai domestic tourism undermines the illusion that only the farang Golden Egg Layers, those Big Spenders who once stayed in the fleabag hotels around Soi Buakhao, can be responsible for any economics progress throughout Thailand. So domestic tourism must be belittled as much as possible. Then TAT: TVF, ace Economists, doomsters and other trolls always jump with two arguments:

1. Blindness (works with malls and condos, too): we can’t see any domestic tourists.

Not in the beer bars, no.:) But this has to be refuted with numerous credible observations that yes, they are in fact seen crowding on the beaches, taking up all the parking, shopping and eating, and tying up traffic. They've been doing this for years in Pattaya on weekends and holidays, nothing new here.

2. Economic authority: Domestic tourism won’t lead Thailand to economic prosperity.

Silly straw man argument. Nobody said it will, nobody implied it will, nobody thinks it will. Thais all know that as well as Italians know it in Italy. Though it's off topic, it seems makes the poster feel he’s said something shrewd and superior.

So, if nobody said domestic Thai tourism will support the Pattaya economy, and if nobody implied it will, and nobody thinks it, and by your own admission the Golden Egg Layers on Soi Baukhao eating baked beans on toast certainly will not, than who will?  The Chinese?  The Indians?  The Russians?

It's the foreign sex tourist that saw Pattaya prosper and made a lot of Thai's very rich. 

The Thai's got greedy, surprise surprise, and started marketing to families and package holiday makers and everyone and anyone else they could think of, and it was still the lowest high season this past high season for western tourists.  

Pattaya does not have a nice enough beach to get rid of the sex trade and still prosper.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sitanonchai said:

I understand your knowledge of the Thai language is zero.

A lot of Thai people are complaining about the current situation and are worried what the future will bring.

Maybe you take some time and chat with ordinary Thai people.

You'd be surprised at how good my Thai is, happens after 13 years working with Thai people and the conversations I hear at lunchtimes in the work canteen certainly don't  reflect what your saying.. Hows your Thai ?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 2:53 PM, BigStar said:

Putting food on Thai tables is a Thai responsibility responsibility,

For many here, it's the hospitality industry that supplies employment, that supplies a salary, that puts the food on the table.

I offer a more rational, objective perspective based on the reality of the new economy

And how is the "new economy" going for Pattaya?  It certainly wasn't going too well last high season, pre virus.

Yep, could be. And other better restos could be too.

Could be, but they are not. For how long do you think they can keep their doors open?

domestic tourists usually travel to Pattaya on weekends and holidays

Perhaps a good business model would be to close the establishment down mid week, only opening on the weekends, with casual staff.  I wonder if 2 days of decent trade would pay the rent.  You do know rents are high here, don't you?  ????

Stats?

It was a joke. 

Merely point out while you take aim at Golden Egg Layers eating baked beans on toast in Soi Baukhao, domestic Thai tourists are eating 30 baht noodle soup from street vendors. 

It happens that I cover a lot more ground than the beer bars and fleabag hotels around Soi Buakhao, however, so I merely offer an objective perspective.

I cover a lot of ground also.  I find your posts to convey a conflict of interest, just like a Real Estate Agent jumping in.

will be clearly much better, except in monger hangouts,

Mongers spend more than your typical domestic Thai tourist.  

• Thanks 1