Thai LGBT activists raise pride flag in anti-government rally

rooster59

Thai LGBT activists raise pride flag in anti-government rally

By Juarawee Kittisilpa

2020-07-25T171155Z_1_LYNXNPEG6O0D8_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-PROTESTS.JPG

Thai police officers stand among demonstrators during a protest demanding the resignation of Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha, in Bangkok, Thailand, July 25, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Hundreds of Thai LGBT activists and allies raised rainbow flags on Saturday evening as they called for democracy and equal rights, the latest in a series of youth protests calling for the government to step down.

Several youth-led demonstrations have sprung up across the country since last week, when thousands of Thai activists defied a coronavirus ban on gatherings and staged one of the largest street rallies since a 2014 military coup.

The activists on Saturday danced and sang and performed stand-up comedy sketches making jabs at the government of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, a former army chief who ousted an elected government six years ago. Pride flags were waved against the backdrop of Bangkok's Democracy Monument.

"We're here today mainly to call for democracy. Once we achieve democracy, equal rights will follow," said a 21-year-old activist who went by a made-up name, Viktorious Nighttime.

"The LGBT group do not yet have equal rights in society, so we're calling for both democracy and equality," added Viktorious, who was wearing a glittery tiara and a face mask.

The calls came after Thailand's cabinet backed a civil partnership bill earlier this month that would recognise same-sex unions with almost the same rights as married couples.

Saturday's gathering was the latest in a series of protests under the Free Youth movement, which has issued three demands: the dissolution of parliament, an end to harassment of government critics, and amendments to the military-written constitution.

"Even if they don't step down from power today, we want to let them know that we won't go anywhere, we will be here," said a 21-year-old protestor who gave her name as Yaya. "Even if they get rid of us, our ideology will never die, we will pass this on to the next generation."

(Writing by Patpicha Tanakasempipat)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-26

• Sad 1

The Thai government will put up with it for a while, then tread on them like bugs, sending them for attitude correction, as they always do. 

I'm all for that, looking at the descent into anarchy in the so called 'liberal and free' west.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, mr mr said:

eventually the modern day dinosaurs will be extinct. then maybe this world can start to heal. 

And be more like the west? That isn't healing, it's debasement.

Edited by dbrenn

8 hours ago, mr mr said:

eventually the modern day dinosaurs will be extinct. then maybe this world can start to heal. 

Unfortunately the dinosaurs have bred the next generation... they are the special ones with connections to those in power now, that's how it continues.

The only way to stop the rot is to oust these for good and break the chain.

5 hours ago, UnkleGoooose said:

So many interesting things going on in the world, new science advances, escalating tensions in the South China Sea, but a few weirdos waving coloured flags is TV's "Must Read" story. Interesting set of priorities the lunatics on the left have.

I tried listening to a well known UK sports radio channel yesterday for some footy banter, prior to today’s premier leagues final day.

No luck,

the program was hi jacked by a lgbt (have I left any of them out?) conversation/debate.

A caller to the station complained about the lack of sporting content.

How dare he was the reply, then the gay guest in the studio went on to say men in their 40s & 50s are too old to change their opinions and were therefore all racist & homophobic. 

My my point is this, who determines the narratives that the media are pushing and do they think the majority give a $£it ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UnkleGoooose said:

So many interesting things going on in the world, new science advances, escalating tensions in the South China Sea, but a few weirdos waving coloured flags is TV's "Must Read" story. Interesting set of priorities the lunatics on the left have.

Just how does waving a rainbow flag affect those issues?

6 hours ago, UnkleGoooose said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like those lefty lunatics don't know all the bandwidth has been taken up and they are just waisting the internet now with these stories. They should be ashamed. 

41 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

I feel for you, twocatsmac. I had a similar experience today. 

I tried logging into a well known Thai forum to discuss a clearly marked LGBT item. 

No luck,

the thread was hijacked by some misery moaning that he couldn't listen to mindless football banter on his favourite sports radio station because they had the temerity to discuss an important matter.

How dare they! 

Down with this sort of thing. ????

Loosen your shorts a little and quit shrieking, no one hijacked your Lesbian, Gay & Baht Simpson thread.

i was responding to a previous post, the thread remains your domain.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

Loosen your shorts a little and quit shrieking, no one hijacked your Lesbian, Gay & Baht Simpson thread.

i was responding to a previous post, the thread remains your domain.

I just copied your words, so if anybody is shrieking it's you.

12 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

Illegal protests in many senses and no democracy? Luckily I am not in charge.

Oh yes, I’m sure they’re all shaking in their high heels at the mere thought of mickymouse being in charge. 

• Haha 1

I appreciate that many TVFers don't care about how the gay community is treated in Thailand, but they should since their treatment is an indication of what to expect as we move further along the road of military control.

Gays have always been marginalized in Thailand. Don't let the bar scene  or a few queens on the telly  suggest otherwise. They are usually part of the have not demographic; Impoverished and denied opportunity at work, the military and in school.  As such, they are part of the growing disenfranchised demographic and they are growing frustrated and angry. The Covid 19 crisis is making it harder for the marginalized of Thailand to  get by. Thailand's youth want to see positive change, and a future. This is something the  elderly administration of Thailand with its dyed hair, and botox frozen jowls has not delivered on.

11 hours ago, UnkleGoooose said:

These are not the "lunatic left".  Some of these people are the orderlies who wipe the <deleted> and <deleted> off of the farangs who end up destitute in the hospital. Others do the menial minimum wage jobs that keep farangs in comfort, while others are forced to sell their bodies to  farangs in order to survive. Don't be so quick to judge these people until you know their story.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UnkleGoooose said:

I dunno, standing up to an authoritarian military regime is pretty important, to Thais at least. I'm nowhere near left but would side with these guys to get those robbers out.