Obesity increases risks of death from COVID-19 - Public Health England

rooster59

Obesity increases risks of death from COVID-19 - Public Health England

uk.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Lights flash blue on top of an ambulance at the Hollymoor Ambulance Hub of the West Midlands Ambulance Service, operated by the West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust, in Birmingham, Britain June 5, 2020. Simon Dawson/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - People who are obese or overweight are at increased risk of death or severe illness from COVID-19, a report by Public Health England (PHE) said on Saturday as the government prepares to introduce measures to confront the problem.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has pledged to tackle obesity and has himself lost weight since he was admitted to intensive care with COVID-19.

PHE said data showed that for people with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30-35, risk of death from COVID-19 increased by 40%, and it increased by 90% for those with a BMI over 40 compared to those of a healthy weight.

People with a BMI of over 30 are classed as obese under the system. PHE said that almost 63% of adults in England are overweight or obese.

“The current evidence is clear that being overweight or obese puts you at greater risk of serious illness or death from COVID-19, as well as from many other life-threatening diseases,” said Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at PHE.

On Friday, Johnson said people should lose weight, with reports that government restrictions on advertising unhealthy foods could come next week.

“I’m not normally a believer in nannying, bossing politics but the reality is that obesity is one of the comorbidity factors,” Johnson said.

Susan Jebb, Professor of Diet and Population Health at the University of Oxford, said she would be pleased to see Johnson acknowledge the extent of the public health crisis Britain faces when it comes to tackling obesity.

“That’s been brought to the fore by COVID, but actually it’s something that we’ve kind of known all along, but it’s just never got to the top of government’s to-do list,” Jebb, who reviewed the PHE report, told reporters.

Reporting by Alistair Smout; editing by Stephen Addison

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-26

so when are we closing all fast food joints and banning sugar and alcohol ?
for the greater good of everyone 
governments also need to introduce mandatory daily exercise
Only "selfish" people would consider these not to be the next logical steps
????‍♂️

maybe they could make it a requirement to travel
so you cannot board a plane unless you can do
100 push-ups at check-in
100 sits-ups at the boarding gate before you can board
and then also 500 star jumps when you arrive at your destination before you can enter????

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, innosiem said:

????‍♂️

100 push-ups at check-in
and 500 star jumps when you arrive at your destination????

Agreed, healthy weight issues need to be taught at school. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

May 11th I posted this,

Anyone over weight needs to start a keto,south beach type diet immediately. 

Medics have been rolling patients onto their stomachs as a last gasp tactic to keep ventilated virus victims alive.

That beer gut is gonna kill you quicker than you think.

It was old news then as it is now. 

Here a beer gut helps. In a prone position, a big gut elevates the lower lungs and increases drainage to the front, which is why they flip them over into a prone position.   Usually they need to use pillows in place of a beer gut.

OTOH, begin overweight probably got them into the hospital to begin with.

Edited by rabas
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

This was the same kind of reaction my original post received ????

If people need to justify being a pompui buffoon, up to them.

I prefer to take my chances through life without the lard around my waist.

Probably same people who think smoking is good it kills the virus.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Valid point about them filling up the hospitals, can't be denied. 

Then one could say in triage they are getting treatment last. Problem solved, then they don't risk others. Unlike the pro choice anti vaxers who actively put others at risk. 

Nice try though your getting better. 

nice mental gymnastics you got there????
if hospitals are full hospitals are full
"sorry you cannot be treated here we are already full of obese people using up all our resources"
there would not be discriminatory preferential treatment
and YOUR selfishness is clear,
as you think your solution is fine as it would put you in front of obese people

and again, i am not anti vax, stop mis-labeling myself and others
quite happy for them to be produced for people like yourself to take

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

They should and add ciggies.

All killing millions more then Covid ever will.

while i agree
the topic is about obese people
hence i did not include tobacco unless this has now also been linked to obesity

This has been shown in the data for months now.  Why governments didn't present these facts along with other facts about who would suffer the worst is beyond comprehension.  Instead we get deaths and cases charts being in the background of every news segment to keep the fear going.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I put the label on you and it sticks. You were the one worried about obese taking up resources and so on. Not me could not care about it just gave you a possible solution that YOU wanted. 

Get over it your a selfish anti vax pro choice. Your kind makes it harder to curb the spread of the virus once there is a vaccin this has been explained to you many times already.

But you do know that triage is a normal thing in hospitals when they flood ? Maybe you should study some thing a bit more and get off all those tinfoil hat websites and go for some real science. 

again your mental gymnastics are astonishing 
i have never been anti-vax
i have never needed to voice a concern until talk of mandatory rushed to market vax became an issue recently
i am quite happy for them to be produced and for people like yourself to use them
that is not "anti-vax"
if you cannot use correct terminology,

how do you ever expect people to understand your point, if or when you will ever have one ?

i was never worried about obese people taking up hospital beds
i simply made a point based on logic according to current measures and current narratives being pushed by people like yourself
and you conveniently forget, the flood would be anything but normal if the narrative is correct

then you end with the ad-homiens after not making a single point????‍♂️

and you clearly have forgot about Sweden, who did not have lock downs or other draconian measures to "flatten the curve"????‍♂️

sweden.png.c5d00eb8a42efc5547e1258aeb0a8562.png
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

duh, been saying that for months now...

vitamin D is stored in FAT tissue, the fatter you are, the less AVAILABLE in the blood(stream)

maybe you should educate yourself more. 

Its true that its stored in fat tissue but the body can mobilize it when its needed. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/vitamin-d-and-your-health-breaking-old-rules-raising-new-hopes#:~:text=Like the other fat-soluble,build up to toxic levels.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

PHE said data showed that for people with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30-35, risk of death from COVID-19 increased by 40%, and it increased by 90% for those with a BMI over 40 compared to those of a healthy weight.

People with a BMI of over 30 are classed as obese under the system. PHE said that almost 63% of adults in England are overweight or obese.

“The current evidence is clear that being overweight or obese puts you at greater risk of serious illness or death from COVID-19, as well as from many other life-threatening diseases,” said Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at PHE.

More meaningless scaremongering. "being overweight or obese puts you at greater risk of serious illness or death from COVID-19, as well as from many other life-threatening diseases" - correct, but an increased risk of 40% or 90% or whatever is meaningless without a baseline data point. If your risk of dying of Covid or whatever disease is say 1 in a 1,000, a '40%' increase is nothing.

• Thanks 1

First, Robblok, you have posted for years on here about your health. How about posting a pic of your abs.

You were 'fit' years ago. By now you should be running 100 mile non-stop 36-hour races if you're really healthy. It's as easy for every fit person to work harder to run a marathon as it is a fat person to lose weight. So why do so few settle for less than marathon-level health? Hell, I'd say it's as easy for a fit person to rise to near Olympic level in their weight-lifting for their weight class as it is for a fat person to lose weight. How could it ever be any harder for you to go further than it is for a fat person? It's all the same laws of science plus simple willpower. Why have so many given up with a pseudo-'fit' level in improving your health when you can have maximum fitness? Anyways, Let's see those ab shots  from the know-it-all fit folks on here. You can post your health blog links or youtube health advice channel links too. 

Fat people fight on! You know how hard it is dealing with your situation. Don't let clueless people who are full of themselves put you down.  You are human and deserve dignity!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not easy to stay trim and fit—especially in retirement.  Your heart rate slows with age.  So you either have to eat less—or exercise more to compensate.  It helps to have a much younger mate, I must admit...

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, innosiem said:

????‍♂️

100 push-ups at check-in
and then also 500 star jumps when you arrive at your destination before you can enter????

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you had your tongue in cheek when you wrote that....BUT

your list reminds me of the time I spent in East Germany.  Except that even the Stasi did not go as far as you seem prepared to go.....

Edited by blazes
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1