Six U.S. mayors urge Congress to block Trump federal deployment

webfact

Six U.S. mayors urge Congress to block Trump federal deployment

2020-07-28T024637Z_1_LYNXNPEG6R05W_RTROPTP_4_GLOBAL-RACE-PROTESTS-PORTLAND.JPG

Federal law enforcement officers block off a street after clearing protesters from the area during a demonstration against police violence and racial inequality in Portland, Oregon, U.S., July 27, 2020. REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs

(Reuters) - Six U.S. mayors, all Democrats, urged Congress on Monday to halt President Donald Trump's deployment of federal forces to their cities, saying the move has escalated tensions at anti-racism protests spreading across the country.

The request came on the same day the U.S. attorney for Oregon announced the arrest of 22 people on charges stemming from clashes with federal and local police at the federal courthouse in Portland.

Federal agents dispatched to Portland, Oregon, have drawn national attention for whisking away demonstrators in unmarked cars, beating a U.S. Navy veteran and tear-gassing activist mothers and the city's mayor.

"We call on Congress to pass legislation to make clear that these actions are unlawful and repugnant," the Democratic mayors of Portland, Chicago, Seattle, Albuquerque, New Mexico; Kansas City, Missouri; and Washington, D.C., wrote in a letter to the leaders of both parties in the Senate and House of Representatives.

The appeal followed a surge in Black Lives Matter protests over the weekend, with an escalation in violence and the appearance of white supremacists and an armed Black militia.

One person was shot dead at an Austin, Texas, protest on Saturday and two others were struck by gunfire at demonstration in Aurora, Colorado on Sunday.

In Seattle, police declared a riot and arrested 45 people during a protest over the deployment of federal agents to Portland and a standby force to Seattle. Protesters in Los Angeles clashed with officers in front of the city's federal courthouse.

Weekend violence in downtown Richmond was instigated by white supremacists posing as Black Lives Matter protesters, police said. A Black militia group marched through Louisville, Kentucky, on Saturday demanding justice for Breonna Taylor, a Black woman killed by police who burst into her apartment.

After violence in Oakland, California, during a protest on Sunday, Mayor Libby Schaaf condemned "agitators" for vandalizing the downtown and giving Trump the "images he wants" to justify sending federal agents into U.S. cities.

Trump has said that federal forces are necessary to restore order to cities such as Portland, saying local officials have been unable or unwilling to intervene.

The 22 people whose arrests were announced on Monday were charged with various federal offenses stemming from protests on July 23, 24, 25 and 26, including assaulting federal officers and harassing and stalking federal employees.

The U.S. Marshals Service on Monday tweeted it was lining up personnel to send to Oregon.

(Reporting by Andrew Hay, Nathan Layne, Lisa Lambert and Dan Whitcomb; editing by Bill Tarrant, Sonya Hepinstall and Gerry Doyle)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-28

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Oh well Trump wins election, rioting, Biden wins election normal service resumed and everyone goes back to their day job? Dunno whether that will happen either. Protest's he says, just a bit of harmless graffiti is all, as the molotov cocktail explodes next to one. There's two sides at it here and Covid then Floyd was just the excuse for them to get into it. Its been brewing for 4 years, and egged on by both sides too. Surely Trump must lose, then again thats what they said before. In any case if Americans weren't so important they would be the laughing stock of the world. As it is we don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't understand.  Why is it black lives matter and not all lives matter.  The mother of my children is from Fiji and is black.  My children are my little chocolate drops.  Does that mean that their lives either half matter or half don't matter.  I have had 5 wives. One Italian, one Fijian, one Thai and two Chinese.  Does anyone think that i am a racist?  Either this is something particular to the American society or it is just a bunch of people who like to protest.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

Looks like they got to the wrong protest.  Ladies, this is not Bloated Lives Matter.

I think the general idea was to put good sized women, Moms, in the front of the line so the federal stormtroopers would be less inclined to beat the c**p out of those protesters behind them.

It's really not the kind of situation where you want a 5 foot 4 inch, 100 lbs slip of a woman out there in the midst of the fray.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It must be difficult for Trump to find again and again new distractions from his horrible record.

It seems Covid-19 and over 4 million infected Americans does not matter to him. But a few protesters...

If I would be in America I would also be every day on the streets protesting against that idiot and all the people who still support him.

You mean if you were an American. That's so cute.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jvs said:

I am not American but isn't this why the second amendment was created?

To shoot at the government when they go out of control?

Interesting.

That’s why conservatives said it was written-backtracking again ????

Edited by Redline

5 hours ago, riclag said:

Until the ring leaders are all rounded up and put into federal prison's

Yea those scary mommies daddies and disabled vets are really scary imo bottom line donald is trying to instigate an incident so he can declare martial law to me that is shameful and a direct assault on our democracy I would suggest to the folks exercising their first amendment rights to do it away from federal buildings that puts the onus’s on the feds it’s sad that we’ve sunk so low under this administration but change is a coming we will get through it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4reaL said:

The Feds are actually stopping the chaos.

Who needs burnt down cities or looters?

How long must these ppl be allowed to run wild?

How do you mean "stopping the chaos"? Are things resolved where federal action was taken? Also, if federal forces' intervention is restricted to protecting federal property and such, how do they "stop the chaos" elsewhere?

As far as I'm aware, no city was actually burnt down.

I have zero vested interest in any direction this takes.  Looking at this situation from a distance it strikes me that nobody has a solution on how to stop the unrest and move forward together.  There is a great lead for leadership at the local and Federal level.

• Like 1