Buying a GPS with English language

watgate

I am hoping to buy a GPS with English language for my travels around Thailand. I also might have to buy another GPS in Thai language when my wife drives. I am hoping to avoid using the GPS on the smart phone and much prefer the one you attach to your front window or dashboard and it tells you when to make a turn etc. Ideally, although highly unlikely that there is a GPS with BOTH English and thai language. If anyone knows where I can purchase a GPS with English I would be very appreciative.  Cheers,  John

• Confused 1

I know you said you don't want to use your phone but they really are as good as anything on the market. You can buy a cheap holder so u can fix it to your windscreen, it's in English language and it gives you clear directions telling you when to turn etc... I've used mine (google maps) to travel all over and never had a problem. Just a thought!

• Like 2

You will find every GPS sold here has several languages installed. MY one has UK, German, French, Thai, even Chinese + lots more I believe some 15+. Simple to change Just go onto settings and pick what Language you require. The screen also changes to read in the your preferred language. Tip, get them to put it in English to start with or they might put it in Thai. Unless you can read Thai, can make things a bit of a problem to start with.

Rather than buy a stand alone GPS either just use you current phone (I know that's not what you wanted to do) or buy another cheap phone solely to use as a GPS. You don't even need a continuos data connection as you can download the map in Google maps to the phone at home. If you do that and also have a data connection then map is updated constantly and you can see traffic and (possibly even where back-ups are at checkpoints). There are any number of mounts available at low cost. I use just my phone as a GPS when in the UK, Thailand or anywhere else. I even use it on my Motorcycle here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, surat04 said:

I can understand why the OP doesn't want to use a phone. Why would you when there's a perfectly good tool dedicated to the purpose? And you don't have to sign up for internet packages, have your photo taken to buy a package and all that nonsense. I can recommend Garmin. Had one for years.

You can choose English language and a variety of spoken English voices on your Garmin.

One advantage is that the Garmin GPS will work anywhere in Thailand, whereas phone signals do not. There's an area I drive in regularly with no phone signal hence no Google Maps access, but my Garmin works perfectly.

A Garmin feature I use often is to get precise GPS locations to measure land for example. You carry the Garmin with you and tap in location at each corner or post, or else run location continually and it will produce an outline of where you walk (around the perimeter) so that you can accurately map the shape and calculate land area. Works even in the remotest areas when your phone won't.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

One advantage is that the Garmin GPS will work anywhere in Thailand, whereas phone signals do not.

Wiping coffee I just spat at my screen, never have I read such nonsense! Like others have said a phone is perfectly capable of recreating what any Garmin can do and will even run where there are no phone signals or maps. You just got to install the correct apps to begin with. They will be a lot cheaper than Garmins as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Wiping coffee I just spat at my screen, never have I read such nonsense! Like others have said a phone is perfectly capable of recreating what any Garmin can do and will even run where there are no phone signals or maps. You just got to install the correct apps to begin with. They will be a lot cheaper than Garmins as well.

What app?

Wife uses iPhone and Google Maps. We're driving in a remote area up a mountain north of Chiang Mai using the Garmin in the car, no issues. She decides to switch on her phone and compare the road we are on in Google Maps with the Garmin route. No signal (DTAC). No Google Maps.

Now maybe if she'd decided to switch on the phone earlier when there was an internet connection and had tapped in a destination on top of the mountain we were going to, and kept the phone on and connected the whole journey it could have worked. You tell me. But at the time we needed it, it did not. Garmin saved the day.

• Like 1

There are many apps. I am not an iPhone user, but on Android I currently have apps like HereWeGo and Mapsme which use preloaded maps of entire countries for turn by turn navigation in whatever voice language you like with no phone signal or even SIM card needed at all. They are free apps as well. There are other apps for when you get to where no roads exist for trekking as well. The op said they didn't want a "smart phone and much prefer the one you attach to your dashboard" and "where I can purchase a GPS" which is meaningless today as the tech is all the same, and all phones can be fitted to dashboards and have GPS, and being a lot cheaper than Garmin sell them for.

I've bought a Garmin about 20 years ago before smart phones became smart but nowadays its a limited market for them.

17 hours ago, Antonymous said:

What app?

Wife uses iPhone and Google Maps. We're driving in a remote area up a mountain north of Chiang Mai using the Garmin in the car, no issues. She decides to switch on her phone and compare the road we are on in Google Maps with the Garmin route. No signal (DTAC). No Google Maps.

Now maybe if she'd decided to switch on the phone earlier when there was an internet connection and had tapped in a destination on top of the mountain we were going to, and kept the phone on and connected the whole journey it could have worked. You tell me. But at the time we needed it, it did not. Garmin saved the day.

Can download areas on google maps for when offline...I used to deliver and used this for popular areas

• Like 1