What happened to the Mackerel?

Susco

I tend to buy the Roza mackerel in tomato sauce in the round 150 gram tins I think, and the bigger blue oval tins as well.

Now for about 1 month they are nowhere to find any more, only the smaller tins of about 100 grams are available.

Then today I was at Makro, and of course non available, so I took a look at the smaller ones and noticed they must have doubled in price.

4 tins of the 150(?) gram version was 80 Baht normally.

Now 6 of the smaller tins is close to 200 Baht, forgot the exact price.

Anyone know what is going on?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That are the ones that are normally 4 for 80 Baht, so why have they doubled in price now?

Did I say doubled? The cheapest one listed is 66 Baht including delivery for ONE tin

image.png.fc8ece2ce01fcf248cb07f6e0abcba0b.png

image.png.4d1b4de39f1d9e18d1df664fec179d3b.png

Edited by Susco

27 minutes ago, Susco said:

Anyone know what is going on?

There are noticeable changes in the food supply chains, so far I've seen this affect mainly foreign products.

Interesting if there are changes to the domestic supply as well.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Mackerel is mackerel   I buy the SavepaK  150g tomato sauce  ring pull cans   about 10(maybe 12) in a pack  106 baht,usually give it to the dog as a treat,but do it on toast lately

You may want to check if they are still available at that price currently, because on Lazada those 10 cans now trade at 290 Baht + shipping

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Susco said:

You may want to check if they are still available at that price currently, because on Lazada those 10 cans now trade at 290 Baht + shipping

Bought few days ago    Makro,bought 2 packs  cheap enough

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

What an interesting comment and uncanny you should mention it - quote from today's The Guardian (UK):_

"Ecuador has sounded the alarm after its navy discovered a huge fishing fleet of mostly Chinese-flagged vessels some 200 miles from the Galápagos Islands, the archipelago which inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

About 260 ships are currently in international waters just outside a 188-mile wide exclusive economic zone around the island, but their presence has already raised the prospect of serious damage to the delicate marine ecosystem"

Holy Mackerel!!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

U-chef brand is cheap at Makro.  Buy it for the dogs to mix with their dry food.

BTW why is it all in tomato sauce?

Doesn't quite work as well in peanut butter :whistling:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, izod10 said:

Mackerel is mackerel   I buy the SavepaK  150g tomato sauce  ring pull cans   about 10(maybe 12) in a pack  106 baht,usually give it to the dog as a treat,but do it on toast lately

Mackerel is mackerel is mackerel, at least that,s what Gertie said !

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Brine or no sauce would be a nice alternative.   You're on my ignore list ????

Life is sometimes unreasonably cruel, but ... I'll be ok :crying:

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

U-chef brand is cheap at Makro.  Buy it for the dogs to mix with their dry food.

BTW why is it all in tomato sauce?

Strange, isn't it. Same with sardines - 20 brands all in tomato sauce and almost impossible to find any in oil. But then, Thais do like to smother anything in ketchup.

Finding massive price rises for imported foods isn't unusual. Sometimes it can be as much as 30%. I guess it all depends on the long supply chain and where the goods can be sourced from. Some things disappear altogether. Might happen in Farangland too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Susco said:

That are the ones that are normally 4 for 80 Baht, so why have they doubled in price now?

Did I say doubled? The cheapest one listed is 66 Baht including delivery for ONE tin

image.png.fc8ece2ce01fcf248cb07f6e0abcba0b.png

image.png.4d1b4de39f1d9e18d1df664fec179d3b.png

Every brand have cans of about same size and weight, 145-155g.

1 can of Roza Mackerel cost 17 baht at Tesco Lotus. 5x155g cost 85 baht. Imo, Hi-Q Mackerel tastes better. 

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I have today bought the Savepak brand, because someone suggested all Mackerel is the same, so will see if it's the same as Roza

Now I wonder what the BM meant by that; I guess to a dog mackerel is mackerel for sure.????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

I have today bought the Savepak brand, because someone suggested all Mackerel is the same, so will see if it's the same as Roza

All mackerels are certainly not created equal. The King Oscar tin of mackerel in olive oil is heaven over freshly steamed rice and sliced avocado. Hell, sometimes I will just dump the oil over the rice and mix it all up with the fish. 90-99฿ at Bluport and Villa Market.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

What an interesting comment and uncanny you should mention it - quote from today's The Guardian (UK):_

"Ecuador has sounded the alarm after its navy discovered a huge fishing fleet of mostly Chinese-flagged vessels some 200 miles from the Galápagos Islands, the archipelago which inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

About 260 ships are currently in international waters just outside a 188-mile wide exclusive economic zone around the island, but their presence has already raised the prospect of serious damage to the delicate marine ecosystem"

Nuke these suckers