Does the COE have to be issued in your passport country?

Not sure if this belongs here or in the covid forum but I'm a UK passport holder currently in Spain, hoping to travel to Thailand without returning to the UK. Assuming I meet the requirements for a COE, is there any reason why I couldn't get it from Madrid?

The downside of this could be that there aren't as many flights available. Does anyone know what the busiest routes have been so far?

I don't think so.

I'm a US citizen (UK based) waiting on a repatriation flight to Thailand (hopefully) for mid-August. My wife and I were issued visas (her Non-B for work, my Non-O as her dependent) from the Thai Embassy in London last week. Provided you meet the requirements (confirmed ASQ and repatriation flight bookings, correct visa type etc.), I can't see why they wouldn't issue you a CoE provided you meet all requirements.

That being said, if there aren't any repatriation flights from Madrid, you'll likely have to head elsewhere. From London, we haven't been told anything concrete from the embassy and/or the school as to repatriation flights (when, costs, seat availibility, priority etc.). Will post when I hear something official.

Also, given that people traveling into the UK from Spain must quarantine for 14-days, aiming for a repatriation flight from the UK would be unwise given that and the uncertainity of flights and available seats from London. You'll probably have to go through the Thai Embassy in Madrid and see if they can sort you out on a repatriation flight from Madrid or elsewhere in Europe (e.g. Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam).

Edited by CWA14
Better Clarity and Less Ambiguity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No the Certificate of Entry it can be issued by any Thai Embassy or Consulate who will accept your application. If you can prove residence in the country in which you are applying for the CoE there should be no issue whatsoever. 

Regarding busiest routes: I think the UK has the busiest routes and they seem to have stopped handling CoE applications because there are not more ‘confirmed’ repatriation flights. That said, its possible there are 3 TG flights next month (given TG’s advertisement for flights BKK to LHR on 9, 16 & 23 August - the assumption is they will return back to Thailand as repatriation flights). 

I have heard that Frankfurt has far fewer applicants for CoE and thus chances of securing a repatriation flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok are higher IF the Thai Embassy in Germany will handle your application for CoE there. 

The best thing to do is to E-mail and Call the Thai Embassy in Madrid (or Consulate in Barcelona) and ask them if there are any repatriation flights at all or whether you would be better off applying in another country. 

Edited by richard_smith237

20 hours ago, CWA14 said:

I'm a US citizen (UK based) waiting on a repatriation flight to Thailand (hopefully) for mid-August. My wife and I were issued visas (her Non-B for work, my Non-O as her dependent) from the Thai Embassy in London last week. Provided you meet the requirements (confirmed ASQ and repatriation flight bookings, correct visa type etc.), I can't see why they wouldn't issue you a CoE provided you meet all requirements.

That being said, if there aren't any repatriation flights from Madrid, you'll likely have to head elsewhere. From London, we haven't been told anything concrete from the embassy and/or the school as to repatriation flights (when, costs, seat availibility, priority etc.). Will post when I hear something official.

Thanks - hope you're not waiting too long.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The best thing to do is to E-mail and Call the Thai Embassy in Madrid (or Consulate in Barcelona) and ask them if there are any repatriation flights at all or whether you would be better off applying in another country. 

Yes I'll do that, thanks for the suggestion.

14 minutes ago, JHicks said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes I'll do that, thanks for the suggestion.

The Thai Embassy in the UK have officially announced the dates of their repatriation flights.

50 non-Thai’s per flight permitted, there are 3 flights.

Now is the time to get that application for the CoE submitted if wishing to travel from the UK. 

Edited by richard_smith237