Covid-19: Thailand named best in the world in coronavirus pandemic recovery stats

webfact

Thailand tops global ranking for handling of Covid-19 crisis

By THE NATION

800_2e625ef5f2fbf12.jpg?v=1595991737

Thailand ranked highest in a global survey for its effective handling of Covid-19 and recovery from the crisis. The Global Covid-19 Index (GCI), published yesterday (July 28), gave Thailand an index score of 82.06, putting it on top of the global chart as an example of best practices in tackling the dreaded virus.

South Korea ranked second with a recovery index of 81.09, followed by Latvia (80.81), Malaysia (79.37), Taiwan (78.94) and New Zealand (78.55). Australia, which used to top the chart in previous months, now ranks 6th, with a recovery index of 77.18.

In the previous ranking published on June 14, Thailand came 2nd in Covid-19 recovery among 184 nations across the globe.

The GCI bases 70 per cent of its calculation on big data and daily analysis from 184 countries, while the other 30 per cent comes from the Global Health Security Index, an assessment of global health security in 195 countries prepared by the Johns Hopkins Centre for Health Security.

As of yesterday, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand stood at 3,297 (including 360 who tested positive in state quarantine). Of these, 128 are being treated, 3,111 have recovered and 58 have succumbed to the virus.

Globally, the number of confirmed cases has gone beyond 16.6 million, up by 229,000 in 24 hours, with 10.2 million patients having recovered and 652,000 dying.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392083

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-29

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree with 2 of your points however the one I've quoted does raise some questions. The hospitalization of all positive covid patients has been Thailand's strategy so far. While there are no vaccines there are indeed many effective treatments now that can reduce deaths and more are being found. Thailand is part of the WHO Solidarity trials which has taken part in trialing some of these treatments.

For example Remdesivir is said to reduce deaths by up to 30%, this is just one of the drugs Thailand has been using.

There's no secret weapons but there are effective treatments available now that can reduce death rates worldwide including Dexamethasone life-saving drug.

So far we have seen death rates in most countries to be very similar once patients are put on intensive care. Is there any evidence to suggest Thailand is doing much better in this regard?

I really doubt that is the case. You're right of course that good nursing, clinical management and use of remedies that can make a small difference could be beneficial but even a 30% reduction is not a lot. If that were the cause of the 58 deaths the total death figure without clinical management would still be far below what is credible. And of course most countries are using those treatments now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Thailand classifies a death as Covid19 related if the patient has tested positive for the disease and an autopsy shows the cause of death is due to the infection.

If one does not test the deceased for Covid19, one cannot determine if the infection was present.If one does not perform a full autopsy how does one determine the cause of death is other than  "old age" or "flu".

Do you believe that Thailand has tested the thousands of dead people since last January, for the presence of Covid19, or even performed a full post mortem?

Just asking.

The lack of testing and diagnosis here is certainly an issue of concern regarding this supposed ranking that Thailand has.

Yet at the same time, we're not hearing any anecdotal evidence of significant virus spread and death in Thailand... no social media posts about families falling sick, no reports out of hospitals about overflowing admissions or full ICU units, etc etc...

If there was actual spread of the virus going on here, you'd have to wonder would the authorities be able to keep it invisible for all this time, i.e., not have the telltale signs come popping into public view?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Actually apparently there is or was a video just out of front line US doctors literally screaming out that they have had enough and that they have tested and treated patience with no deaths using Hydroxychloroquine with zinc and Azithromycin, they are going against the grain, e.g. the government pulling it off of the shelves and threatening to take away their licenses based on previous studies, however those studies showed that the patients were administered 2,400mils of it as opposed to 200mils twice a week, in other words the toxicity basically killed the patients because they were given loaded doses x 10 times what they should have been given, they also stated that if given when in the early stages the success rate is the highest.

I will put the link in link that now says it was fake news and hope the mods don't remove it like Facebook and others have done, I mean these are qualified doctors who treated patients who are going against the mainstream media and governments and treating patients successfully, so it's from the horse's mouth, not the governments, so there is a cure according to these doctors, after all why has Trump been taking it for so long, and why did he retweet the video so many times until Facebook, Twitter and Youtube took it down, I have never know news to ever be taken down before COVID, so free speech is out is it, well it appears so, so don't believe what doctors say, only governments right, yes let's wait for the vaccine, but what about those who don't want it, are we to be forced to take it ?

Fortunately for me, I bookmarked the video and can send it to you in a PM if you want, to make up your own mind as opposed to it being removed here on TVF, I found it to be very convincing with doctors becoming quite emotional about saving lives as opposed to allowing them to be killed off.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/tech/facebook-youtube-coronavirus/index.html

Don't you think if Hydrochloroquine were a cure the pharma companies would be all over it and producing similar drugs? 

Trials are being conducted on this. We'll have to see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I would think that one of the reasons "official covid deaths" are low in Thailand is due to the fact that they admitted all positive cases to hospital, unlike many other countries where you only get admitted if serious.

This strategy is possible when you have low numbers and appears to have paid off. 

Caveat of course is taking the official numbers as real, a big ask

PUI are also hospitalised - only released when they return a negative swab. But it other countries they go home and wait several days for the result - happily spreading their virus around. They self-isolate, you say????? The majority of Bangkokians still seem to e wearing their masks. Cannot get into Central without a mask. 

32 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

are they serious ?

look at the number of tests per thousand or per million inhabitants...

what a joke

You are the joke here lol The positivity rate is ZERO and have been ZERO for 2 months. Whether there is 2000 tests a day or 5000. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

PUI are also hospitalised - only released when they return a negative swab. But it other countries they go home and wait several days for the result - happily spreading their virus around. They self-isolate, you say????? The majority of Bangkokians still seem to e wearing their masks. Cannot get into Central without a mask. 

Masks are useless though because asymptomatic transmission rates actually measured are between 0 and 2.3 %. 

Not even worth the 50 baht.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.10.20097543v2.full.pdf

Asymptomatic rate.jpg

Edited by Logosone

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Masks, the right kind and if worn properly, help prevent infected people from spreading the virus.

And how would they do that if asymptomatic transmission has been documented at 0 to 2.3% transmission?

Remember the whole argument for masks was "Oh no, all those asymptomatic people are spreading the virus".

Turns out asymptomatic transmission is 0 to 2.3%. So pray tell how is a mask going to be of any relevance?

Edited by Logosone

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

First we've got a nut-job president and his nut-job son. And now courtesy of the ever reliable, truthful Breitbart News, we've got a group of nut-job doctors.

From the CNN article linked above:

I will ask, did you see the video before it was pulled, or have you already believed what mainstream media are alleging, because I will tell you what, if you think that these Dr's are nut jobs, you must have a lot of them in the USA.

Don't be too quick to believe the bigger more powerful machine, there is enough evidence out there to convince me that what these guys are saying is true, I mean ask yourself this, do they stand to make a lot of money out of this, if not, then why would they be sharing their experiences with others ?

I have that video and another recent one which fully explains how the virus works and how those medications kill the virus, or do you prefer to have a vaccine forced upon you because the other choice has been taken off the shelves because it would interfere with the bigger objective of the big pharmas who stand to make trillions ? 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It's Johns Hopkins University. The Johns Hopkins University is a private research university in Baltimore, Maryland. Founded in 1876, the university was named for its first benefactor, the American entrepreneur, abolitionist, and philanthropist Johns Hopkins. 

Please amend the name on your topic article.

Fixed, we don't normally edit news items but the original Sanook article had the university name correct. 

20 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Don't you think if Hydrochloroquine were a cure the pharma companies would be all over it and producing similar drugs? 

Trials are being conducted on this. We'll have to see.

The cost for hydroxychloroquine oral tablet 200 mg is around $37 for a supply of 100 tablets, depending on the pharmacy you visit. 

The only real difference with Covid-19 and the other Coronaviruses is that it spreads easier, a vaccine is not required to stop it, that is overkill as has been shutting the world down, big pharma stand to make trillions out of a vaccine, why would they want to pull Hydroxychloroquine off of the shelves when safer studies using the twice a week dosage of 200ml tablets works as opposed to 10 x the amount which caused toxicity in the patients and killing them, loaded doses perhaps to help can the only drug known at the right use to stop the virus in its tracks ?

Do you believe governments, do you believe big companies at having our best interests at hand, well if you do, I will leave it at that, I believe qualified people who go against the grain, I did it once, although I was correct and everyone in my industry knew it, they shut me down, only a few brave ones will see things for what they are, the others will bury their heads back in the sand and keep their pay packets coming in to pay their mortgages etc etc etc, fortunately for me, I was at retirement age when exposed my industry, but to no avail, that said, I didn't lose any sleep over it, it is what it is.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rabas said:

Reference? What you listed is not a reference and has no information, did you read it?   Here are real references which strongly disagree. They suggest about 45%.

New England Journal of Medicine: Asymptomatic Transmission, the Achilles’ Heel of Current Strategies to Control Covid-19

Annals of Internal Medicine: Prevalence of Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection

"Asymptomatic persons seem to account for approximately 40% to 45% of SARS-CoV-2 infections, and they can transmit the virus to others for an extended period, perhaps longer than 14 days"

I posted the reference, it's in your quote itself. And yes, I read it serveral times. It's on page 8. 

The difference between your source which says "asymptomatic persons "seem to account" is that the study quoted cites no less than FOUR studies that actually measured asymptomatic transmission, all of which found asymptomatic transmission to be between 0 and 2.3%.

Remember the WHO briefly pointed to the fact that asymptomatic transmission is considerably less than originally thought.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.10.20097543v2.full.pdf

Asymptomatic rate.jpg

Edited by Logosone

I firmly believe they should not close borders totally. Ban a common tourist yes like for 3-4 days that come and go that cant be traced.  Allow those willing to quarantine not based on status etc. There are causes for people to go back to Thailand to spend time with family, loved ones etc.  Even Thais abroad are struggling to get back. How is this managed well?

If the case Thailand has done so well,  they shoulf handle and allow people in without permits, residency and manage the ones who want to stay throughout quarantine. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Almost all of the key advances are being made in  Germany, France, UK, USA, Japan, Netherlands, Australia and Canada.  The Russians and Chinese have been trying to hack the USA, UK and Canada to access the novel intellectual data, not Thailand.

Looks like the Russian hacking paid off, they're getting approval for vaccine in 2 weeks, I pity the front line health workers who are first inline for the shots.

Exclusive: Russia prepares for world's first approval of a Covid-19 vaccine by mid-August, but questions remain.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/europe/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-approval-intl/index.html

Of course as with Russia there is no published scientific data on the vaccine yet.

These stats are meaningless and not indicative of true recovery rates. Thailand hospitalized everyone infected with covid 19 whereas most countries  only hospitalized the seriously I'll. Thai death rates are around 2% pretty  much inline with international  trends.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Reference? What you listed is not a reference and has no information, did you read it?   Here are real references which strongly disagree. They suggest about 45%.

New England Journal of Medicine: Asymptomatic Transmission, the Achilles’ Heel of Current Strategies to Control Covid-19

Annals of Internal Medicine: Prevalence of Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection

"Asymptomatic persons seem to account for approximately 40% to 45% of SARS-CoV-2 infections, and they can transmit the virus to others for an extended period, perhaps longer than 14 days"

Since the mask rabbit hole has started again and you reference the good troopers from New England, I'll just leave this here to stir the pot again:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372   

mask-science-covid-virus.jpg

• Like 1