U.S. coronavirus deaths top 150,000 as economy suffers further

webfact

U.S. coronavirus deaths top 150,000 as economy suffers further

By Lisa Shumaker and Rich McKay

2020-07-29T153706Z_1_LYNXNPEG6S1CP_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A paramedic dressed in personal protective equipment exits an ambulance at St. Petersburg General Hospital, where coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases are being treated, in St. Petersburg, Florida, U.S. July 15, 2020. REUTERS/Octavio Jones

(Reuters) - Deaths from COVID-19 surpassed 150,000 in the United States on Wednesday, more than any other country and nearly a quarter of the world's total, according to a Reuters tally, delivering fresh blows to the U.S. economy

The increase of 10,000 COVID-19 deaths over the last 11 days is the fastest in the United States since early June, prompting heated debates between the American public and its leaders over the best course forward.(https://tmsnrt.rs/2P87LUu)

Commercial pilot Rob Koreman of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, said he had been stunned by the climbing numbers.

"I'm a pilot and hit so many cities, so many people on board, I have to be aware," said Koreman, 50. "Basically, none of this should have happened. We needed state coordination, if not flat-out a federal mandate."

Florida reported another record in one-day deaths on Wednesday, 217, according to state health officials.

Among the 20 countries with the biggest outbreaks, the United States ranks sixth in deaths per capita, at 4.5 fatalities per 10,000 people.

Only the United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Peru and Chile have a higher per capita rate, the tally shows, with U.S. deaths making up nearly 23% of the known global total of just over 661,000.

The pace of infections has accelerated since the U.S. death toll passed 100,000 on May 27. The epicenter has also moved, to the South and West from the area around New York, which still has by far the highest number of fatalities of any U.S. state at more than 32,000.

U.S. deaths from the novel coronavirus surpassed 150,000 on Wednesday, a number higher than in any other country and nearly a quarter of the world's total, according to a Reuters tally. This report produced by Jillian Kitchener.

Arkansas, California, Florida, Montana, Oregon and Texas each reported record spikes in fatalities on Tuesday.

The rising numbers have crushed early hopes the country was past the worst of an economic crisis brought on by stay-at-home orders and business closures that have devastated the economy and thrown millions of Americans out of work.

FED WARNS OF ECONOMIC DAMAGE

"We have seen some signs in recent weeks that the increase in virus cases and the renewed measures to control it are starting to weigh on economic activity," Fed Chair Jerome Powell said in a news conference following release of the U.S. central bank's latest policy statement.

Many health experts say the U.S. outbreak could be brought under greater control if guidelines to maintain social distancing and wear masks in public were enforced nationwide.

U.S. President Donald Trump has rejected the idea of a federal mask order and was initially reluctant to be seen wearing one. Trump has since come around to supporting masks but has still not imposed a national mandate requiring them.

Louie Gohmert, a Republican lawmaker from Texas who has at times refused to wear a mask, tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday, raising concerns that other members of Congress may also have been exposed.

Officials in New Jersey, the state with the second highest death toll, again pleaded with young people to avoid large gatherings.

"Coronavirus is more easily transmitted indoors. Crowded indoor house parties are not smart or safe," Governor Phil Murphy wrote on Twitter.

With the scheduled reopening of schools days away in some states, the Trump administration has pushed for students to return to classrooms, while teacher unions and local officials have called for learning to remain online.

The University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), whose forecasts are closely watched by policymakers including the White House, predicted in March that the pandemic could kill more than 81,000 people by July.

In its latest statement on July 14, the IHME said its model now projects the U.S. death toll at more than 224,000 by Nov. 1, although the institute added that many fatalities could be avoided by preventative measures such as masks and social distancing.

(Reporting by Lisa Shumaker, Rich McKay, Tim Ahmann, Maria Caspani, Susan Heavey and Dan Whitcomb; Writing by Sonya Hepinstall and Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-30

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Calling B.S. on this one.

This is the argument, ok not really an argument, of one who cannot defend their position.

dr. immanuel is a FAKE doctor, unless you need some demon seed, or alien DNA.

Simply pointing out what people do.  It's all too obvious.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

In most, if not all civilised countries, the head of the country has taken the lead in controlling the Chinese virus in their respective country, Trump has been a complete sham and continually BS'd the American public! His obsession with restarting business has led to the worst second wave of infection in the world with the most deaths recorded, 150,000 dead Americans, put a positive Trump spin on that!

No, not second wave. Still first wave in the US.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you think comparing the US to some of the European countries that handled badly is ok? Even though the US had much more time? Even though in the US the first wave is still raging?

Germany handled is badly?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

are you talking about our president and his praise of "spectacular" real doctor stella immanuel, the "scientist" with such sciencey viewpoints as:

alien dna used in medical treatments

vaccines to prevent religiosity

cysts caused by dream sex with nephalim and demons

reptilian aliens in the government

astral projection sex with human witches

and................hydroxychloroquine to cure covid19?

Neither am I defending nor renouncing one doctor over another.  Simply pointing out that people will claim as truth one doctor "real" and another "fake" depending on how it suits their purposes.  And saying that I'm not fooled.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rabas said:

Germany handled is badly?

Let me see, you mentioned 6 countries, I said 'some of them handled it badly'. Why would you presume I meant Germany, unless you're trolling?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

As long as the rest of the world does'nt follow America in covid19 control, there is hope!

imo, the entire world save sweden followed the same group think,

and are now rationalizing their knee jerk reaction in hope of reelection

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, scammed said:

i saw bill gates want to genetically modify humans, all of us,

to save us from covid-19, as if the borrowing from unborn generations

in the quantitative easing scheme hasnt saved us unnecessarily already

Humans are the result of 4 billion years of genetic modification. What is the problem? Are you going backwards?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Humans are the result of 4 billion years of genetic modification. What is the problem? Are you going backwards?

there is strong evidence that viruses has modified us along the journey,

im not against it in principal, i would happily undergo it if it was free and cured my

pain, but covid strikes a handful of elderly people, 

i dont want to pay for it and above all its horribly unethical to pass the bill to unborn generations

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

I think you don't understand what he said, but yeah, things do get complicated. He is talking about RNA vaccines, not modifying people. Two of the 4 most promising vaccines currently under development are RNA vaccines. Hot new tech. Here is a good summary about these:  2 US, 1 British and 1 Swedish companies.

From Beth Mole at ArsTechnica:

ArsTechnica Meet the 4 frontrunners in the COVID-19 vaccine race

BTW, Chinese are not in the race, their candidate it a third rate attempt at looking good with a vaccine that can't work well.

i dont think its worth an effort, at least not an effort with tax money,

it should be funded privately in its entirety 

Edited by scammed