Non B for teaching for a Filipino in Bangkok

Evening gentlemen.

i saw that mr Richard burrows posted that immigration have now made it possible for teachers to get their non B inside Thailand now.

my mrs previously changed schools so she had to cancel her WP and Go to immigration and I believe she’s now chilling on the amnesty. She is teaching already and got paid today.. anyway she has just advised me that the school have told her it’s going to cost 22K baht to get her Non B... erm this seems very fishy ? They told her she only has to pay half ( 11K) and the school will cover the other half..

still can’t believe what I’m hearing. Isn’t the Non B only 1900 baht? Even in this crazy time with COVID.. her previous school that she just left have also told her it should only cost 1900... 

so why are they telling her 22K? Are they going down the agency route ? If so why? When apparently they have opened up a gate way for this Non B situation as per Richard burrows tweets?

are this school up to something? Japanese school in Bangkok btw.

I think what was mentioned about non-b visas for teachers is for new hires with a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

You wife's case is different since she was already on a extension and it was canceled. Normally when that happens it would mean leaving the country to get a new visa.

It seems the school has arranged something with an agent or immigration.

Hi joe, when schools post the job don’t they all mention they cover the cost for the visa / work permit? I’ve never heard of a case where they make the teachers pay or in this case pay half. Especially on these low salaries 

As it’s a japanese school, would she still find herself in this situation if it was a thai school ?

think she’s gonna have a look round for another school anyway between now and September 26 as the school is woeful according to her.

thanks 

3 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

still can’t believe what I’m hearing. Isn’t the Non B only 1900 baht?

How much would it have cost her if she had to leave Thailand, go to Laos or Vietnam , wait in line for hours, spend at least 1 night in a guesthouse, taxi fees, and likely lose 2 days teachers salary ?..and shed still have to pay the 1900 for her extension

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

How much would it have cost her if she had to leave Thailand, go to Laos or Vietnam , wait in line for hours, spend at least 1 night in a guesthouse, taxi fees, and likely lose 2 days teachers salary ?..and shed still have to pay the 1900 for her extension

And pay to quarantine for 14 days.. 

it’s funny you should mention Laos the school gave her 2 options

pay half which is 11k

or go laos n come back

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

And pay to quarantine for 14 days.. 

it’s funny you should mention Laos the school gave her 2 options

pay half which is 11k

or go laos n come back

In normal times..from BKK the Laos non b visa run is not fun ( done it twice) and probably runs about 8K or more. Add in the death defying van or bus trip, no sleep, losing a days wages, waiting 4 hours in the hot sun at the consulate, and the school expecting you to get back to BKK around 6 am and still make your lessons that day... I would have gladly paid 11k ...in a heartbeat

• Like 1

Based on 4 different schools, it is the teachers responsibility (cost) to get the Non-B and police check.

From a tourist visa, with enough time left, could pay around 1900 Baht to change to Non-B.
With the cooperation of schools, coordinating the termination of one work permit with the start of s new work permit, then no need to get a new non-B

Now the problem of people with expired extensions of stay being allowed to stay without penalty changing to Non-B. 

This amnesty period does not seem to be functioning as an extension of stay, but being allowed to stay with no penalty. Changing from no extension to a Non-B may be expensive.

I am not sure what most schools are doing about the cost of quarantine and the $100,000  medical insurance requirements for teachers trying to enter Thailand from other countries.

She needs to walk. They're trying to take her for a ride.

Just look at the job ads, teachers "URGENTLY NEEDED". They all want somebody to walk in and start teaching immediately. None are saying "Oh, but we'll need 11k for your visa". Utter rubbish.

Many foreigners have left and still none can enter. It's a buyers market for teaching jobs, even for Filipinos. They'll take any English teachers, rather than have none.

She needs to keep walking until she finds a school that'll give her what she wants, not the other way around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

She needs to walk. They're trying to take her for a ride.

Just look at the job ads, teachers "URGENTLY NEEDED". They all want somebody to walk in and start teaching immediately. None are saying "Oh, but we'll need 11k for your visa". Utter rubbish.

Many foreigners have left and still none can enter. It's a buyers market for teaching jobs, even for Filipinos. They'll take any English teachers, rather than have none.

She needs to keep walking until she finds a school that'll give her what she wants, not the other way around.

It is very likely many schools will be desperate and will take anyone willing to fill that spot in the classroom. But without the proper paperwork, they will be working illegally. But many schools will not care because they need teachers.

A lot will depend if you want to have a non-B with the work permit and working legally or accept a job and work illegally

People with a valid extension of stay will probably find it easy to get a job and work legally. People who are here with amnesty from the Thai government may have to pay money to change the “overstay under amnesty” to a non-B extension. 

Unfortunately, the international schools I have seen pay Thai teachers around 20,000 baht a month. A lower international school might pay a western teacher as low as 60,000 baht a month. Mid-level international schools should pay between 70,000 to 100,000 baht per month

14 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

People who are here with amnesty from the Thai government may have to pay money to change the “overstay under amnesty” to a non-B extension. 

There is no overstay now. it is a "automatic extension" under the ministerial notice approved on April 7th that has now been extended twice.