How to get new birth certificate if lost original and Thai wife refuses to help

I'm on Amnesty extension of VE but no longer have original birth certificate because it was lost. I want to use birth certificate to obtain 60 day visit Thai child extension. Is there a way for a foreigner husband to get new original birth certificate without Thai wife cooperating?

Edited by calexpat2014

Do you have a copy of their birth certificate? If you do you can go to an Amphoe and the will certify the copy so that it can be used at immigration. You can do it yourself since you are named as the father on the birth certiicate.

You can also get a print out of your child's house book registry at a Amphoe if needed.

• Like 2

Assuming your name appears on it, wouldn't you go to the Amphur (District Office) where it was registered. Whether they are happy to give you a copy or not, that would be the place to start. However you probably would need the child's ID plus the house book, tabien baan, which it sounds like you might not be able to get

Just now, calexpat2014 said:

Is certified copy different than original birth certificate?

It is just a copy that has been certified. It does not replace the original. That is done due to the fact they cannot issue a new one.

I was told by wife and mother in law that needed to file a report with the police and both father and mother have to go down together to file report before going to Amphur to get new original. Is getting certified copy for purposes of immigration different than getting new original?

12 minutes ago, calexpat2014 said:

I was told by wife and mother in law that needed to file a report with the police and both father and mother have to go down together to file report before going to Amphur to get new original. Is getting certified copy for purposes of immigration different than getting new original?

Do not worry about it. I have done exactly what you are describing. No problem with the children´s mother, though. ???? 
However, I went and did it alone, and just showed my passport. If your name stands on the original birth certificate, they can find it by your name in the computer. They will just issue a new one as they did for me, when I visited. If not, just take it higher until you get a new one.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is just a copy that has been certified. It does not replace the original. That is done due to the fact they cannot issue a new one.

This is actually one of the first times I will say that you are wrong. I have been getting another birth certificate issued. Actually we found the old one after, so now we have two. They are both identical.

• Like 1

if the child is born in thailand, you go to amphur with child / id card and you will get a copy one that will be accepted by immigration

my deadbeat EX toxic narcissist tried to keep the original from me for that reason !

bring someone who speaks thai as they surely do not (have to) speak angrit...

Edited by Bender Rodriguez

On 8/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, calexpat2014 said:

And you believe your wife and mother in law? They are taking for granted that you won't find out how easy it is to get the job done yourself at the amphoe with the correct copies. As you've been already told, you don't need an original, just the certified copy. Immigration knows how it works at the amphoe. 

Edited by Max69xl

4 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

if the child is born in thailand, you go to amphur with child / id card and you will get a copy one that will be accepted by immigration

my deadbeat EX toxic narcissist tried to keep the original from me for that reason !

bring someone who speaks thai as they surely do not (have to) speak angrit...

Kids can get ID card at the age 7.Not before