Expats sought to help Thailand’s tourism industry in its hour of need, end to dual pricing mooted

webfact

I think this is time to work together, you cannot live in the past so put previous grievances behind us and work towards improving the situation for the future. It will take sometime to alleviate the dual pricing system, the government should come out and condemn the practice, this would be a good starting point. Farangs need to be a little less critical and stop posting personal insults about Thai leaders in particular. We are guests in their country and whilst there is a lot of truth in the posts they don’t help working towards a harmonious atmosphere. We need to try to convince the current government that by changing their immigration policies to 21st century thinking and get rid of the crazy paper work that is a nightmare for us both would be a sensible start. Make short and long term residency easier and the country will reap the rewards with increased faring residents, increased employment and so on, it would have a domino effect in reverse. 
 I lived in Papua New Guinea for 37 years, a third world country with difficult immigration and residency policies but once you complied you were good for three years and the renewal was almost a formality. 
For long term residents here what does the ninety day reporting achieve? why so much paper work, it should be 100% electronic, can you imagine how much paperwork Thai immigration have to store, have they ever thought how many trees need to be cut down to support this last century policy which is so unnecessary, labor intensive and inefficient. 
A united voice now in these hugely difficult times is the perfect time to start dialogue, make it better for Thais and us farangs that choose to live in this desirable country. Getting Thai tourism onside would be a great start and their most recent post is handing out the olive branch so take it and improve the situation as best we can.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bodga said:

i dont  have  a  tv,  i have  a  brain instead

I have 4 TV big screens. Front room, 2 bedrooms and the kitchen. I also have a brain, and this is why I can watch Thai TV as I understand what is said, can speak the language and understand their culture on the whole. Keep on using your big brain there on the computer.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Silent Number said:

Hey. I have only been here 10 years so maybe I don’t know as much as you.You think.As for your comment about making friends on here it’s a forum for opinions not a dating site.If it’s friends your looking for get a pen pal.What I posted was my opinion and the opinion of some other posters who aren’t disgruntled expats with nothing but negativity to post about their place they chose to live over their country of origin for whatever reason.But maybe I will think about not upsetting sensitive people such as yourself. 

Not sensitive. Just stated the facts. Disgruntled, Nope! Pros and Cons of living anywhere and even though it is wonderful to live here it is true that we are not given a fair shake and treated equal. But it is just the way it is. My family do not like many things about things here as well. Just a part of life. Have a good day! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

We might well be interested if Immigration didn't make life so hard for us expats . I would like to travel around the country but they insist on knowing where we are all the time and with all the reports they want from us i just go to the supermarket .

How does Immigration make your life hard when travelling in the country ?
The hotel makes the report for you when you check in.
TM30 is not necessary to make anymore after you returned from another province.
So what is "making life so hard" when you travel ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, Airalee said:

Sample hotel price now vs high season in November.

when I see this kind of <deleted>...I stay home.

Spend every dollar like it’s a vote.

High Season This November 

CF0E8C58-F046-486E-AF91-6A1D525171A1.jpeg

Current “low season” price

879B0B9F-DBF1-40C9-9681-1F968496C391.jpeg

Great offer. Let's GO! ???? 
Luckily they are not all same.
I use to go often to a little resort in Pai.
A superior room in high season was 1100THB. 
They contacted me a few days ago: Low Season extended to December - Superior Room 700THB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

It's taken a pandemic to make them realise that we actually have value, then let them prove it by giving us LOWER rates than Thai people to make up for all the past rip offs.

Exactly. Reparations for all that farang sufferin' & oppression!

Don't forget the free beer, too. :partytime2:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, curious297 said:

Most S.E Asian countries offer free residency, bank mortgages, loans, not having to leave the country for BS visas after living their country for X years.

Which S.E. Asian countries offer all that free stuff?

1 minute ago, Rancid said:
19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Reminds me of someone in my neck of the woods who had exactly the same experience.

He couldn't cope with the idea of having to pay a bribe for the same reason, after he'd employed Thais and kept everything legit.

He let his girlfriend run the business into the ground and went to live in Cambodia, after more than ten years here.

Corrupt officials wanting bribes is nothing new, in fact the bulk of the Thai population also has to exist with the same parasites.

I don't disagree. Just that this guy apart from being tight, really couldn't accept he was being screwed over and left the country rather than pay.

22 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I remember a good friend of mine went to immigration to renew his work permit. They kindly informed him that he didn't do his TM30 (this is when the whole issue was brought in) and he had to pay a fine. Not only did he have to pay a fine, he also had to wait for hours to hand over the money. He's been here over 10 years, married with a kid and working and paying taxes. He was furious and decided to travel to places like Vietnam, etc, a few times instead of weekends at the beaches here. 

I also remember the meeting with immigration at the FCCT forum. They simply didn't have any good answers for why they were trying to enforce this ridiculous law. I remember one officer smugly replied, "don't travel, then" when asked how people could find time to do the TM30 on a Monday after a weekend away to Pattaya, etc, when they have jobs and responsibilities. It felt like a complete abuse of their authority and just one abhorrent cash grab.

Now, I'm not the sort of person who isn't going to travel because I wanna vote with my money. If I wanna go on holiday or have a weekend away, I will. But asking me to travel to help them? No chance. I'd have quite happily done it had they just left me alone. I wasn't looking for any favours or special privileges. I just wanted some basic decency to be shown and not be treated as a criminal. 

I have sympathy for people who work in the tourist industry. I have absolutely zero for Thailand's tourism chiefs. Som nam na. 

Since when would immigration renew a work permit ?

• Confused 1

Oh Thailand...for all the years I stayed here, I was "just a guest" and did "not understand Thailand"!

My opinion on literally everything was not needed or wanted and you made me jump through hoops, so I could stay here - you know...because I am a "guest" and you are such great hosts!

And now...suddenly... you need my participation, to safe your country?

Come on- you are Thais!

You are better than that...and better than us!

Why don't you pull yourself up, by your ******* boot-straps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rancid said:

Corrupt officials wanting bribes is nothing new, in fact the bulk of the Thai population also has to exist with the same parasites.

And the bulk of the Thai population would jump at the opportunity to become one of these parasites ASAP. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

one thing about, you can laugh and say what you like, but China is still pulling the strings on the price of the Thai baht, why, China owns Thailand just try to buy something in Thailand that is not made in China and of course the high speed trains from Bangkok to China, the Chinese government and army are going to love that, an old Aussie saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

On 8/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, zaZa9 said:

Im actually surprised at the figure of 2 milliion. I new farang numbers were a lot , but didnt think it was that many. Just think of the profits in Re-entry Permits !

Many in this thread are confused with the expat figures. The over 2 million expats are not all Western 'farangs'.

The number is actually more like 2.6 million and in fact of that 2.6 million only about 200,000 are from Europe and N. America, less than 8%.

And of those 200,000 'farangs' roughly 70,000-80,000 are retirees. The rest are on work or various other visas.

The self importance of the 'farang' here is off the scales!!

Edited by kamma
  • Haha 1

All of a sudden we're useful? My answer is $od-0ff... Learn to respect people first, then we'll see... 

Make me feel welcome, then we'll see.

Abolish those draconian immigration laws and double prices and then we'll see. Till then, tell your freaking embassies to process repatriation speedy instead to use expat to milk money. The whole bunch of those govmt stooges is a disgrace.

6 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I think this is time to work together, you cannot live in the past so put previous grievances behind us and work towards improving the situation for the future. It will take sometime to alleviate the dual pricing system, the government should come out and condemn the practice, this would be a good starting point. Farangs need to be a little less critical and stop posting personal insults about Thai leaders in particular. We are guests in their country and whilst there is a lot of truth in the posts they don’t help working towards a harmonious atmosphere. We need to try to convince the current government that by changing their immigration policies to 21st century thinking and get rid of the crazy paper work that is a nightmare for us both would be a sensible start. Make short and long term residency easier and the country will reap the rewards with increased faring residents, increased employment and so on, it would have a domino effect in reverse. 
 I lived in Papua New Guinea for 37 years, a third world country with difficult immigration and residency policies but once you complied you were good for three years and the renewal was almost a formality. 
For long term residents here what does the ninety day reporting achieve? why so much paper work, it should be 100% electronic, can you imagine how much paperwork Thai immigration have to store, have they ever thought how many trees need to be cut down to support this last century policy which is so unnecessary, labor intensive and inefficient. 
A united voice now in these hugely difficult times is the perfect time to start dialogue, make it better for Thais and us farangs that choose to live in this desirable country. Getting Thai tourism onside would be a great start and their most recent post is handing out the olive branch so take it and improve the situation as best we can.  

Nice sentiments but a long way from reality.

What a load of garbage!  I just left Thailand after about 5 years as a working, paying, involved expatriate (a week ago).  It's clear that expats are not wanted in Thailand anymore and the government is doing what they can to use the COVID-19 ruse as a cover for helping us leave.  Most of the international flights contain passengers leaving Thailand for repatriation reasons - since nobody can get back into  the country.  It's a shame that the people just allow this....

• Like 2