Expats sought to help Thailand’s tourism industry in its hour of need, end to dual pricing mooted

webfact

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not sure what your currency, but mine is U$D and it is down against the TH฿ about 2% since mid-July and down more than 5% since early April. But hopefully in the longer run!

EUR went from 34.5 to 37 for an entire week.

Look at the graphs below and the trend:

https://transferwise.com/gb/currency-converter/eur-to-thb-rate?amount=1

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, thequietman said:

They do - if you are a foreign female married to a Thai man. ????

The opposite way, Thai lady married to foreign male, is just hundreds of hoops and fences to get across. ????

Yeah. I was just talking about this yesterday with a poster on here. Hypocritical double standard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djayz said:

I've never, in the 20 years that I've traveled and lived here, been refused service in any establishment. What state were you in when they refused to serve you? 

You clearly didn't see the front page news and video plastered all over Thai media (including thaivisa) about the refusal of service 3 days ago from a restaurant complex in Lad Prao

2 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

2 million expats? seems on high side for a country of 70 million a ratio of 1/35  pattaya.hua hin ect yes but nakhon nowhere really?

It must include all the overstayers and illegals - the numbers have obviously risen dramatically since Big Joke's demise.

11 minutes ago, lupin said:

You clearly didn't see the front page news and video plastered all over Thai media (including thaivisa) about the refusal of service 3 days ago from a restaurant complex in Lad Prao

Not to forget some temples and bus companies not allowing foreigners.. It's racism pure and simple

• Like 2

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Let the retiree back in and this would certainly improve relations with the expat community. How about openly give long timers with family easy PR's!

I'd settle for just being able to stay as they want me to leave after 20 years of setting up a home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr mr said:

the amount of cry babies on here is astounding. 

YOU chose thailand. thailand DIDN'T choose you. 

Eggsactly why not help your chosen place of residence in their time of need and if you are so down on every aspect of your chosen place of residence from hospitality to immigration to the government of the country and also the citizens why not go back to the place you chose to leave.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Why do they want you to leave? OA and insurance sending a message?

Non Imm O ME and 69 day extension expired just after the border shut (was on my way to Suvanakhet) now refuse to extend past Sept 26th.I'm transferring 400,000 for the money bank marriage option now and also got an embassy letter for a last ditched attempt but as is I'll be about 1 week overstay which I'd gladly pay if allowed to stay otherwise they can chuck me into jail.

P.S. My own fault as I was trying to wait till Feb next year to get my super tax free after turning 60 years of age.Also it was my first 60 day extension as I thought I'd see how it went but it didn't went to good.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

34 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Non Imm O ME and 69 day extension expired just after the border shut (was on my way to Suvanakhet) now refuse to extend past Sept 26th.I'm transferring 400,000 for the money bank marriage option now and also got an embassy letter for a last ditched attempt but as is I'll be about 1 week overstay which I'd gladly pay if allowed to stay otherwise they can chuck me into jail.

P.S. My own fault as I was trying to wait till Feb next year to get my super tax free after turning 60 years of age.Also it was my first 60 day extension as I thought I'd see how it went but it didn't went to good.

Stay positive. It will probably be ok in the end. The overstay doesn’t sound good though. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrfill said:

Have you any more copies of your newspeak dictionary?

This is the true definition....

moot

adjective

subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty.

"whether the temperature rise was mainly due to the greenhouse effect was a moot point"

having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.

"the whole matter is becoming increasingly moot"

verb

verb: moot; 3rd person present: moots; past tense: mooted; past participle: mooted; gerund or present participle: mooting

raise (a question or topic) for discussion; suggest (an idea or possibility).

"the scheme was first mooted last October"

When A Case is Moot, Must the Court Remain Mute? | North Carolina Appellate  Practice Blog

Was he thinking of the moot button on a stereo, cancelling the sound?

• Haha 1

Why are they asking the help of expats in Thailand when members of our own families cannot get back into Thailand - in this case, from Vietnam?  My son has been teaching in Vietnam but cannot return to Thailand, his whole family is here, we've been expats here for a decade and more.  We don't have the half-million baht to get an 'elite' visa'.  Another foreigner in Vietnam cannot get back to his Thai wife and daughter, there are so many of them in the same boat. The Thai embassy in HCMC are most sympathetic but there is nothing they can do until the government allows entry on an individual basis into Thailand - none of these people are strangers to this country, they've all lived here, it's their home, and they too cannot afford elite visas. Vietnam has an excellent record of dealing with the Covid issue, that can't be an issue in these cases. 

9 hours ago, JTXR said:

My wife recently told me that the subsidies hotels are getting now so they can offer discounts are only available if the hotel guests are Thai.  I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then this in itself is de facto dual pricing. 

We have been living and/or working through the pandemic like our Thai neighbors, but we're supposed to support the Thai tourism industry by happily being gouged?  Not a very appealing appeal.

You have to be Thai to put up with all the nonsense to claim the discount. Mrs on phone for over an hour calling various offices, hotel, bank, government dept dealing with it. Told she needs a credit card which she does not have, has to update the OS on her phone for some reason, wait for email form which never arrived- all to save about 200 baht a night over booking.com rate. Hotel gives the normal rate and discounts from that. Mrs has the funds in the online wallet to pay, but you can't do it without a card, I would have given up with the running around after 10 minutes

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

12 months ago they suddenly decided to enforce the TM30, forcing expats to take Monday off work to "report being home" if they went away for the weekend under the threat of visas not being renewed if we failed to comply. The same weekend away when we were paying 10x the amount to get into a national park, charged extra to stay at hotels (if you walked in), double for water parks etc.

Now, they want us to help them in their hour of need.

????

I had to get my landlord to register I was staying on his land, in his rented house. Yes the owners are supposed to do this, but why is it the expats job to get the owners to do it, and then prove they did the online register, by adding it to our paperwork when we renew our extensions? If Immigration wasn't so demanding on the expats, they could come out for a resident inspection, then stop by the owners place, and have a chat with the owner in person, to make sure they are in full compliance with everything Immigration requires from them, and not add 4 additional copies to our stack to show the screen shot of them online register, and the copy of signed form they want the landlords to fill out. My landlord had to go down to immigration to speak with them in person, before they would let me proceed with the renewal extension. 

• Like 1