Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Boomer6969

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I couldn't afford bar girls after my divorce, but I still wanted to live in LOS till I died. I can't afford women back home either so that doesn't come into it, but my lifestyle in LOS was waaaaaay better than here. I only left because I could not afford 75,000 baht for medical insurance as well as a non O.

Medical Insurance is only for Non OA (for now).  However 75,000 isn't that bad. You must get free medical back home.

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

Because even those with income or savings have had enough of copy this, copy that..picture this, picture that, wrong colour shirt, bank letter 2 minutes too old and numerous other things immigration throw at them....

Off topic. He was'nt asking why farangs go home.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

Couldn't agree more. I dare add the income/deposit limits and proofs probably haven't been designed with cost of living in mind but rather as a way to select the kind of visitors the country wished to admit. This has failed obviously due to pervasive corruption in all aspect of law enforcement.

Thanks, but I've been in Thailand longer than most and have yet to have an official put the bite on me for cash or anything else. I pretty much follow established rules and interact politely but never a problem. I don't however live in a high tourist area. Once immigration asked for a police report with my TM30 (when they started enforcement) and I had to go to the district police station. It took the police officer a far amount of time to complete and my wife offered to buy him lunch or something. He said no this was his job but thanked us. I also thanked the captain and he simply said thanks to help. He did take  my phone number because he might need help understanding some foreigner. I speak Thai but his English was pretty good.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Medical Insurance is only for Non OA (for now).  However 75,000 isn't that bad. You must get free medical back home.

I had proper health insurance.

Yes, hospital is free back home. Still pay for GP, but only go every 6 months.

Forgot to mention the real reason to go home- I can't get a pension in LOS. I was living off savings. If I was able to get a pension I'd still be there.

4 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Thanks, but I've been in Thailand longer than most and have yet to have an official put the bite on me for cash or anything else. I pretty much follow established rules and interact politely but never a problem. I don't however live in a high tourist area. Once immigration asked for a police report with my TM30 (when they started enforcement) and I had to go to the district police station. It took the police officer a far amount of time to complete and my wife offered to buy him lunch or something. He said no this was his job but thanked us. I also thanked the captain and he simply said thanks to help. He did take  my phone number because he might need help understanding some foreigner. I speak Thai but his English was pretty good.

I also never had a problem with corruption.

He apparently overlooks that the real hoons arrive on a 30 day visa exempt that costs nothing.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and my kind is what? You have no idea . Suggest you keep your personal insults to yourself.

I spent some months in OZ many years ago. Nothing was for free and not cheap. Living in Thailand is much better if one can afford it. I suppose they do have social welfare programs for those in need. 

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Say's who?

Thais are happy enough living on 9k/month in 7-11/Tesco/BigC, etc.

Why can't we be happy living on the same amount?

Thats sounds about right with my budget.....cheap housing-food and healthcare ...and sangsom!

Cant afford the girl rental so have to rely solely to my own devices(laptop+wifi)

• Like 1

Just now, ChakaKhan said:

Cheap charlie?? Sounds like a demeaning thai term for farangs!!!!?  Oh the irony......

Because you know everything in Thailand, I won't correct you. It is a term when looking down at those who pry on others. Sort of like leeches on society. Most Thais are kind and generous and feel obliged to help others. 

"Why are people staying in Thailand when then (sic) can't meet TI's financial requirements?"

I'm here because I couldn't meet my pretentious, overrated, chaotic American home state's ridiculous requirements. Let's see:

Well over 6' tall (183 cm)

Ripped

Movie star charisma

Swagger, nonchalance, massive ego (see the US president)

6 figure salary ($100k+ USD)

A nearly $100k car

A high level degree, yes. But years of experience and perfect references, for just an entry level position, no.

While unable to meet those requirements, here I was able to obtain a lovely wife, a decent job, and a nice place to live. Now utterly impossible back home, what was once The American Dream.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

> Arctic room earlier today ......... 240bht for 2hrs.

Wow!  With both penguins and polar bears . . . now that is ‘real cool’.  

But did it all heat up a bit during the 2 hrs?  ????

Edited by PGSan

21 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Thats sounds about right with my budget.....cheap housing-food and healthcare ...and sangsom!

Cant afford the girl rental so have to rely solely to my own devices(laptop+wifi)

Everyone can afford the occasional rental, even poor Thai blokes.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would consider it more "Thai greed"

I've never expected anyone to come to my rescue, but will admit some hospitals trying to charge us 10x more because we're white does cause a few problems for a few unwary foreigners ....... more Thai greed. 

I don't understand why you think a foreigner trying to live on say 20k/month (Brit state pension) is taking advantage of anyone, thats double what most working Thais have to live on, and Thai state pensioners only get 700bht/month max. My personal generosity provides another 3k/month for my kids grandma, and she lives very well as a pensioner on 3,700bht/month.

It doesn't really matter what a Thai lives as on. If you wish to stay here for any length of time that requires a money amount then you either have it or not. Some Thais literly live in a bamboo shack. I do not know any farange who would want to live in the proverty some Thais live in.

51 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Been here only six years but haven't paid any tea money yet. I was referring to what triggered this thread: the existence of a mafia that offers extensions to people that don't meet the TI requirements. I doubt such "organisation" could survive without buying the support of some IOs. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, he's paying way too much for the wine cooler.

32bht in the nearest shop, 28bht up the road a bit.

I always take a couple of bottles along to the local short-time hotel, as the drinks in the fridge are way too expensive.

Arctic room earlier today ......... 240bht for 2hrs.

IMG_20200806_113207.jpg

What is this phone for? Asking your wife if she did put the pizza already in the oven? 555

There are stains on the bed, yukkk.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

What is this phone for? Asking your wife if she did put the pizza already in the oven? 555

There are stains on the bed, yukkk.

The phone is for room service, snacks, more drinks, asking to see their 'toy tray', paying the bill.

No need to leave the bed once you've started.

Damp spots on the sheets, was our liberal use of lubricants and massage oil.

We also had a bit of a roll around after our 'end of play' showers when we were still wet.

Hopefully the oil will wash out.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1