Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Boomer6969

Why would someone want to live here?  It is possible to live a decent (not luxurious, but decent) life on well less than the 65K/month income TI requires.  And probably a better life than can be lived in many rich countries at that same income level. 

Why would someone risk using an agent doing illegal things to live here with lower than required income?  That's another question, and I guess the answer is desperation and/or low personal standards.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Do you mean like ...... your son came here as a sex tourist, and you came here to be with him.

I do know one elderly NZ lady that did that, unfortunately her son promptly died, leaving her stuck here.

Not sure what kind of circle of friends you have and people you associate with but no that is not what i meant.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

I say ol' chap, "low personal standards", that's a bit of a 'below the belt' assumption, isn't it.?

I guess you're posh.....????

I meant low personal standards in justifying to oneself breaking the law and abetting corruption, not in the living conditions one is willing to have.  Posh is not a word we Americans use a lot.  Does it mean a person who has high standards when it comes to honesty?

On 8/6/2020 at 1:03 PM, dimitriv said:

I know several people who make enough to live, but do not meet the monthly income requirements and do not have enough money to put 400/800k in a bank account. 

For some the money held in an overseas account is possibly earning interest rates higher and has greater degree of security if government chaos occurs further in Thailand.

Try getting money out from Thailand if you want to leave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I dont do "short time" and dont have sex with strangers .

Actually, after an hour they are no longer strangers.  ????

Pretty funny though.

Can't even remember how many guys have been married for several years then it turns sour and their comment is: I don't even know her, my wife is a stranger to me.

Better to be with a stranger for an hour then with one in a flawed failing relationship.

Edited by bkk6060

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 12:53 PM, BritManToo said:

Say's who?

Thais are happy enough living on 9k/month in 7-11/Tesco/BigC, etc.

Why can't we be happy living on the same amount?

People have debts, live with others in the same room. What a joy.

On the other hand, if you have never lived a luxury life, you don't know about the fine things that are around. 

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would consider it more "Thai greed"

I've never expected anyone to come to my rescue, but will admit some hospitals trying to charge us 10x more because we're white does cause a few problems for a few unwary foreigners ....... more Thai greed. 

I don't understand why you think a foreigner trying to live on say 20k/month (Brit state pension) is taking advantage of anyone, that's more than double what most working Thais have to live on, and Thai state pensioners only get 700bht/month max. My personal generosity provides another 3k/month for my kids grandma, and she lives very well as a pensioner on 3,700bht/month.

Thai government workers get a lot more than you. Bit sad if you have to compare your financial status to the poorest in the country.

Edited by FritsSikkink

21 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I can get a wine cooler from my local mom and pop shop for 37 Baht , or I can get a large Chang for 50 Baht in my local bar, served by a pretty in a Chang uniform and I pay my girlfriend 10 000 Baht a month to pretend to be my wife and I get 50 cent beers when I go to Cambodia and rent for 500 Baht a night and when I have a accident, I go to a government hospital and get everything done for 30 Baht

"I go to a government hospital and get everything done for 30 Baht".  Are you sure about that? What province are you in?

Edited 21 hours ago by CorpusChristie

1 hour ago, Jackie66 said:

Not sure what kind of circle of friends you have and people you associate with but no that is not what i meant.

Thailand is a bit of a poophole, if it weren't for cheap women women of lower expectations there's not much reason to come here. And yes I realise the usual sad and confused crowd will be upset, but they all seem to be living with a Thai woman, life in denial must be wonderful. Maybe I should replace 'cheap women' with 'women of lower expectations', but I expect they'd still be sad or confused.

I've never understood why the few odd western women wash up here, when they get to the stage where they're telling me they can't find the right man, I always excuse myself saying I have to meet my 20 year old Thai girlfriend.

Same for the schoolteachers, they could be earning decent money and a pension in their home countries, plenty of demand for schoolteachers in the west.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 10:03 AM, dimitriv said:

I know several people who make enough to live, but do not meet the monthly income requirements and do not have enough money to put 400/800k in a bank account. 

And I'm pretty sure there are many millions back home who wouldn't keep that amount of money in the bank there either. Remember how many who were put out of work by the virus were claiming they could only survive for a month or two? So why Thailand demands it I have no idea. As you say, there are plenty who survive here without having that amount in the bank. I am very reluctant to keep that money in Thailand and I'd far rather keep it in Farangland.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never understood why the few odd western women wash up here, when they get to the stage where they're telling me they can't find the right man, I always excuse myself saying I have to meet my 20 year old Thai girlfriend.

Obviously they are also looking for pretty Thai girls.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously they are also looking for pretty Thai girls.

It seems unlikely to me.

Most women I've met (from any country) over 40 don't seem all that bothered about sex.

Usually they've got a cat or a dog for cuddles and company.

Edited by BritManToo

48 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And I'm pretty sure there are many millions back home who wouldn't keep that amount of money in the bank there either. Remember how many who were put out of work by the virus were claiming they could only survive for a month or two? So why Thailand demands it I have no idea.

Thais, whatever their income level, have an absolute right to live in Thailand due to their citizenship.  Foreigners don't.  Thailand doesn't much care at what level foreigners can survive, or what quality of life foreigners can accept, they simply want foreigners to bring in a significant amount of foreign exchange and either park it in a bank or spend it.  Not hard to understand.  Most countries have similar requirements.

Edited by JTXR
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

In both Countries, the interest rates are pitiful , not really worth being concerned about .

Its the exchange rates you need to be concerned about , if the Pound goes to 50 Baht, you would lose 30 % of your Pounds 

It is more likely the pound will continue to fall.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

I meant low personal standards in justifying to oneself breaking the law and abetting corruption, not in the living conditions one is willing to have.  Posh is not a word we Americans use a lot.  Does it mean a person who has high standards when it comes to honesty?

https://www.google.com/search?q=posh+meaning&rlz=1C1GCEA_enTH899TH899&oq=posh+me&aqs=chrome.1.0l2j69i57j0l5.6224j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The value of financial requirements are very high. For example, i invested for buy a seaside home, a and a nice car. I need a monthly allowance about 15.000 THB to live, a nice level. I am not smoking, no alcoholist, no bar goers. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Actually, after an hour they are no longer strangers.  ????

Pretty funny though.

Can't even remember how many guys have been married for several years then it turns sour and their comment is: I don't even know her, my wife is a stranger to me.

Better to be with a stranger for an hour then with one in a flawed failing relationship.

I got my own place where I live on my own , moneys not an issue , the availability of females isnt an issue  , just seem to have gotton bored of the mechanical aspect of it .

Much prefer to participate with a horny female , rather than one who needs a dinner