Clear Sky...is it possible?

Days Off

Hi!  My girlfriend's birthday is the 12th...which coincides with the peak of the Perseid meteor shower.  Last year for her birthday I took her out to see shooting stars for the first time in her life.  That was in southern France.  She now expects shooting stars for her birthday every year.  We are looking at traveling out of Bangkok next week to a destination within Thailand where the likelihood of reasonably clear sky at night is higher.  I realize this time of year having a clear sky might be a challenge. 

Right now I'm thinking the best spot would be the mountains to the west of Chiang Mai.  What other areas should I be considering?  I was thinking maybe Kanchanaburi or perhaps Koh Chang or Koh Phangnan?  Is there anywhere in Thailand this time of year where the night sky is more clear than not?

I understand this is very much weather dependent and the factors of the monsoon season can have a big impact.  We have the ability to wait until last minute to check the near-term weather forecast.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. 

Doi Inthanon south of CM....Highest point in TH....There's an observatory there so they must see something + lodgings there....

Fang Hot Springs north of CM has 2nd? highest star gazing point in TH....Many people go there to see the stars.....Lodging + hot springs/massage available....

A bit of a way from BKK though....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd stay in the North near the mountains. The coastal regions are not a good idea. I'm not doing it for you, but you can check the forecast and see about any tropical storms or typhoons heading toward Thailand and get an idea from that on weather for the mountains.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I'd stay in the North near the mountains. The coastal regions are not a good idea. I'm not doing it for you, but you can check the forecast and see about any tropical storms or typhoons heading toward Thailand and get an idea from that on weather for the mountains.

I think most star-gazers could agree the coast is not a good idea for observations outside of our atmosphere. Wonder why? :tongue:

Doi Angkhang/Fang area (as above) great.