100 billion baht rescue package for Thai tourism mooted - foreign tourists wanted before year's end

webfact

Do research you will find the "14" days is well outside the safety margin of observed cases basically double. What in Thailand has become 15 nights and 16 days in quarantine, until you paperwork comes back. Almost all cases are now brought in by repatriating Thais, because they do not require pre-arrival testing, and risks spreading  it to others onboard.

The whole system could be simplified getting better results keeping covid out with shorter quarantine or none in most cases using pre-arrival and arrival testing plus a good tracking app.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

First, most of the ASQ hotels are in Bangkok, not Pattaya, so you don't get Pattaya rates.

Second, you're not eating ALL your meals in the hotel, just for the first two weeks of a couple months stay.

Third, if you wanna play, you gotta pay...  :biggrin:

Otherwise, have fun in your virus infested homeland.... 

Stupid and immature thing to say, and i can only guess what "if you wanna play, you gotta pay" means,, very sad man. i say "man" in the loosest possible sense of course. You do know that hundreds of thousands of people have lost their lives right?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

@GAZZPA yep just a few

heathrow.jpg

what is that? a busy airport in the UK, So all must be well then,,, the tourist industry is on its knees, fact,, look it up is you have the ability to google.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, sambum said:

So looking at the latest figures, would you call having 6090 new cases in one day "within manageable limits" and an  acceptable level for your healthcare resources?

Would you call a total of more than 5,000,000 (5 million) "within manageable limits" and an acceptable level for your healthcare resources?

And just to wander slightly off topic, from the BBC News:-

"The postponement of tens of thousands of hospital procedures is putting the lives of people with long-term heart conditions at risk, according to the British Heart Foundation. The coronavirus pandemic has created a backlog which would only get larger as patients waited for care, it said."

(The UK has had 308,413 cases, and 46,413 deaths, which is why I say that similarly to the USA, it IS NOT under control, it IS NOT "within manageable limits" and IS NOT "within an acceptable level for their health resources", hence the number of operations/procedures that have been put "on the back burner" as a result.)

The reason there has been a postponement in operations/procedures is the U.K. Government panicked commandeering all the NHS Beds and the ones in Private Hospitals for the arrival in their eyes of thousands of people with Covid19. They built the Nightingale Hospitals at considerable cost, the one in London was only open for 4 weeks before being mothballed after only admitting 12 patients.

All countries are trying to manage Covid19 some with more success than others to try and open up their economies again but Thailand has locked the door thrown the key away potentially bankrupting businesses and leaving people with no food.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

@Destiny1990 yea i can see that most europeans are avoiding going outside of their hometowns....

heathrow.jpg

got no idea where people like you have been living in the past6 months. the tourism sector in Europe is absolutely devastated. yes some people are flying, a lot is for business as economies start to return to work. However it is still estimated to be 75% down on the year.. just research it you doughnut...

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/25/after-coronavirus-will-the-travel-industry-ever-be-the-same-again-euronews-debates

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, sambum said:

So looking at the latest figures, would you call having 6090 new cases in one day "within manageable limits" and an  acceptable level for your healthcare resources?

Would you call a total of more than 5,000,000 (5 million) "within manageable limits" and an acceptable level for your healthcare resources?

And just to wander slightly off topic, from the BBC News:-

"The postponement of tens of thousands of hospital procedures is putting the lives of people with long-term heart conditions at risk, according to the British Heart Foundation. The coronavirus pandemic has created a backlog which would only get larger as patients waited for care, it said."

(The UK has had 308,413 cases, and 46,413 deaths, which is why I say that similarly to the USA, it IS NOT under control, it IS NOT "within manageable limits" and IS NOT "within an acceptable level for their health resources", hence the number of operations/procedures that have been put "on the back burner" as a result.)

where are you talking about? i assume the US regarding 5 million cases. However the UK does have the virus under control,, it doesn't mean it's gone and it doesn't mean there are no legacy issues with such a long lockdown,, just means the spread of the virus is under control,,,, get it yet? No? if you don't understand then there is nothing more i want to bother saying to you,,, i chalk you up as one of those "false news sensationalists", there are plenty of you around.. in the meantime the sensible people who understand that we are in a global pandemic and although not perfect we have it under control now will get on with our lives.... goodnight.

11 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

what is that? a busy airport in the UK, So all must be well then,,, the tourist industry is on its knees, fact,, look it up is you have the ability to google.

Exactly that guy seems delusional. European governments are advicing  its citizens to do not travel outside of our Euro countries while he is suggesting that the Europeans  are very eager to fly all the way to asia for a summer holiday ????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Great idea but it’s getting people to conform, whilst there is self quarantine in the UK they will only be a .imited number who they will check that they are self quarantining.

true,, unlike Thailand we treat adults like adults.. if people abuse it they put themselves and others at risk and if that happens and the virus starts to spread then lockdown,,, you have been in Thailand too long being treated like a Roman slave...

4 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Exactly that guy seems delusional. European governments are advicing  its citizens to do not travel outside of our Euro countries while he is suggesting that the Europeans  are very eager to fly all the way to asia for a summer holiday ????????????

i know,, there are some people who travel for sure,, many for work. My friend is a frequent business traveller in Europe and he is back to work, however he limits his flights. I don't know anyone who is looking to travel long haul right now for a holiday.. next year the forecast is actually looking good for local resorts as people are planning to be at home.. There seem to be a lot of people around talking nonsense about the state of affairs at the moment.. i have a theory that they are lonely with not much contact with real people and a bit detached from what is obviously going on to the likes of you and I.. ???? stay safe fella...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How's that even remotely related to the topic I was commenting on, which was the reasonableness of the ASQ hotel package prices for visitors who want to come to stay in Thailand?

It would be interesting to know what the hotels are charging the Thai Government for Thai people as opposed to the 35000 plus for foreigners, dual pricing comes to mind ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, androokery said:

Weird. I’m European. I’m thinking about going. 

so what does that prove? Why are you and a few others so incapable of knowing what is going on in the world. AIr travel is recovering, very slowly and very cautiously. I can see countries bouncing in and out of lockdown (like Spain with the UK right now) but most people are not even thinking of travelling. Most have only just starting returning t work after furlough, many are still at home or working from home.. you guys are so blind to reality is beggars belief,, you have access to the internet, rather than contesting such a thing why don't you just look it up online? I have no words..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just checked a list of countries that have reopened For Canadian tourists or are about to. Vast choice of countries in Europe and the Caribbean zone with no major restrictions. No quarantine jail upon arrival and no testing required except for one pre-flight test and sometimes a quick post-flight test.

For example, Brazil and Mexico have virtually no restrictions, and visas are not required for stays under three months . Cuba offers a range of island destinations and requires Canadians to be tested upon arrival (at no charge).

Looks like Thailand may be facing some stiff competition in the next few months.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, searcher22 said:

I just checked a list of countries that have reopened For Canadian tourists or are about to. Vast choice of countries in Europe and the Caribbean zone with no major restrictions. No quarantine jail upon arrival and no testing required except for one pre-flight test and sometimes a quick post-flight test.

For example, Brazil and Mexico have virtually no restrictions, and visas are not required for stays under three months . Cuba offers a range of island destinations and requires Canadians to be tested upon arrival (at no charge).

Looks like Thailand may be facing some stiff competition in the next few months.

it doesn't mean people will flood back into International holidays,, remember the people who have kept their jobs have been working at home or been on furlough. So having very recently spent months effectively out of work they are hardly going to go on holiday. Secondly, many have lost their jobs and dont have the money. Third, the people are nervous about travelling as it is still such a live, rampant virus. Lastly, even people who are still working will be ensuring they keep their jobs and not throwing money on expensive holidays, more likely they will put a bit away and wait for a year or 2... for those who do travel you are absolutely right nobody is going to put up with restrictions of Thailand, there are many other choices..

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How's that even remotely related to the topic I was commenting on, which was the reasonableness of the ASQ hotel package prices for visitors who want to come to stay in Thailand?

Read your post about "virus infested hole" or something like that,, obviously far too difficult for a man of your level of intellect to understand why that might be inappropriate.

IF tourism is 20% of GDP.  What % of people have returned to a normal or near normal income?  50-70%? 80%?  I think many Thais are enjoying their kingdom without traffic, tour busses and noisy crowds of Chinese  at every tourist  spot. Thwy can now go to the doctor,  dentist,, or hospital  with close to zero chance.  They are enjoying lower prices and almost zero risk of locally catching covid.  Why on earth would these people want to take on an almost sure covid risk so 20% can make easy money?

Wasn't the poll 95% against opening for tourists.  I believe  this.  I think if covid comes  the people will finally rise up and  toss out prayut and his military leaders and he knows this. 

We read 2-3 times a week about expat cases arriving with covid.  No way is the public going to accept anything less than 14 day quarantine.   I sure wouldn't travel to Thailand with a 14 day quarantine if I didn't have a long term  GF there.   I would go to Mexico or the Caribbean. Or I would meet my GF in a nearby  country we both could visit.  

Edited by Elkski

14 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

it doesn't mean people will flood back into International holidays,, remember the people who have kept their jobs have been working at home or been on furlough. So having very recently spent months effectively out of work they are hardly going to go on holiday. Secondly, many have lost their jobs and dont have the money. Third, the people are nervous about travelling as it is still such a live, rampant virus. Lastly, even people who are still working will be ensuring they keep their jobs and not throwing money on expensive holidays, more likely they will put a bit away and wait for a year or 2... for those who do travel you are absolutely right nobody is going to put up with restrictions of Thailand, there are many other choices..

While this may be true, there's also a flip side: People have been stuck at home for the past five months and are yearning for an escape, even if it might cost them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, searcher22 said:

While this may be true, there's also a flip side: People have been stuck at home for the past five months and are yearning for an escape, even if it might cost them.

Interesting, people are sick of the lockdowns and happy to get some freedom back, but I think they will be satisfied with back to work, back to having a social life and back to some sense of normality before they decide to fly overseas.. Remember most people are not interested in Thailand or escaping their lives, I know there are many in Thailand who sit around all day slagging off their own countries convincing themselves how much better life is there but it is far from everyone..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Thailand should focus on long time, good time tourists who want to stay for 2-3 months. Then they can do the 14 days no problem. Allow 2 months visas on arrival which are extendable.  This is the way forward. 

Either that or you need proof of a vaccine.

So retirees and back packers.. Well not a lot of back packing going on and the retirees who swan off to Thailand are a tiny number and will make no difference whatsoever. The challenge is to find other ways of making the economy tick without tourism for a while. I have said this may time already but I think investment in the countries infrastructure and improving image would be time well spent for when this pandemic finally does end.

If the goal is here to maintaining zero new virus carriers then simply do not allow people to enter from abroad.

If they want to safe lots of lives without hurting their economical situation then Ban nationwide the sale of cigarettes.

Edited by Destiny1990

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If the goal is here to maintaining zero new virus carriers then simply do not allow people to enter from abroad.

If they really care to safe lives without hurting their economical situation then Ban nationwide the sales of cigarettes.

Add to that enforce the wearing of crash hats, seat belts, child safety seats in cars the list is endless if they really want to save lives.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If they really care to safe lives without hurting their economical situation then Ban nationwide the sales of cigarettes.

Add to that enforce traffic laws, enforce the wearing of crash hats, seat belts, child safety seats in cars, serious penalties for drink-driving, the list is endless.

The government have the population scared to death over Covid why they do a similar exercise with motoring offences ?

• Like 1