Thai central bank says won't resist market forces as baht climbs

webfact

The strong baht hits Thailand's exports at a time when tourism is at rock bottom.  They are encouraging purchasing outside the country when they need local employment.  

Eventually they will convert a third world country to an impoverished fourth world country. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banana7 said:

There is a lot Bank of Thailand (BOT) can do to lower the value of the baht. There are lots of baht currency restrictions which can be eliminated by BOT. BOT severely restricts the outflow of funds.

I totally agree

and they could also reduce the inflow of cash

there is actualy no control on the money flooding

i have personaly seen 3 chineses in their 30' with few

old luggages full of cash enter in Kasikorn and deposit the money

it took more than 2 hours to the bank machine to count the few millions bahts

you can not do something like that in a ''normal'' bank in a ''normal'' country

but no problem in Thailand, nobody ask you where the money is coming from

amazing

6 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Central bankers to exporters and their millions of employees:  sorry, we have orders to keep the Baht strong—go back to the farms for work...

no, thailand dont want to end up on US watch list for manipulating currency,

its market forces that dictate THB, as it should.

im speculating investors are fleeing pound and dollar and look at THB

as the safest option, -expect a stronger baht and less exchange

5 hours ago, potless said:

As I am not an economist, I expect to be shot down in flames here. Why cant the Thai gov. just do the same as the west? Print money. Distribute the money to the unemployed which would help to keep local economies afloat and maybe take the edge off a strong Baht? 

That's the race to the bottom. You don't want to join the group of losers if you absolutely don't have to. Printing money comes at a price to pay later.

Thais will silently suffer without much resistance, so let 'em, is the MO of the elites since.. a few centuries?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

So Blumpie, what happens to a country that can see that their only way out of an impending crises --the mass unemployment and everything that comes with it, is to lower their Currency---

What do they (rest of the world) do to a currency manipulator?........... I know in the case of Chine it is---just buy more off of them.

What would it be in Thailand's situation?

Oh I don't know.  I don't set the rules, the world does.  

The USA has Thailand on its watch list as a currency manipulator.  One more time and they will get slapped with it and there are significant consequences.  

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

That's the race to the bottom. You don't want to join the group of losers if you absolutely don't have to. Printing money comes at a price to pay later.

Thais will silently suffer without much resistance, so let 'em, is the MO of the elites since.. a few centuries?

italy and greece are printing and theyre floating along in the clouds

All I know if that the lower the thai baht is, the more I spend on a holiday. The higher it is the more I think about prices and spend less. 

When I look at how much I spent during my 12 times to Thailand, I actually use more money the cheaper it is. Must be some weird kind of reversed psychology. It's cheap so I save more if I use more ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I dont suggest they should damage their currency but maybe some helicopter money to assist those in need. Wishful thinking.

Good to see that the BOT understands the limit of its role in managing Thai monetary policy and Thailand's obligations as a member of the World Trade Organization and under its bilateral trade agreements with other countries.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

On 8/12/2020 at 9:55 AM, hotchilli said:

Got it in one... I have friends in manufacturing, domestic and exports, they all say exports are now 50% of what it was last year and continuing to fall.

good- might just knock a bit of sense into some people - but on the other hand maybe it wont - just increase the prices as usual - that will fix the problem ..... 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 6:52 AM, potless said:

As I am not an economist, I expect to be shot down in flames here. Why cant the Thai gov. just do the same as the west? Print money. Distribute the money to the unemployed which would help to keep local economies afloat and maybe take the edge off a strong Baht? 

You are inflating the bath so prices go up and the exchange rate remain the same.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, lavezzi said:

You are inflating the bath so prices go up and the exchange rate remain the same.

The Thai's are already doing a great job on inflating the Baht without additional effort. 

On 8/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, lavezzi said: