Decimated tourism "still has potential to kickstart" the Thai economy, Thai media

webfact

11 minutes ago, mrfill said:

A month ago it was 39.5 to the pound and now it is 40.5 after the announcement of a >20% drop in the UK economy.

Bizarre.

Strange forces , are at work .

Which we have no control off ...

And yet the Deputy Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, told The Daily Telegraph that he predicts that the country’s borders would not reopen to tourists until 2021. He added: “The Christmas period, usually the high season, is in jeopardy and I’m looking horribly even to Chinese New Year in February." Further adding: "It is not a rosy picture."

Sadly, tourism is unlikely to reopen for Thailand until sometime next year. Without a crystal ball it's impossible to say exactly when, but let's assume we're talking another year from now. That's going to drive the LOS fanatics up the wall if they have to wait well into next year before they can go on a holiday there.

Let's not forget that currently, only certain categories of foreign nationals can enter Thailand. If you're eligible to enter, you will be subject to 14 days in quarantine at your own expense. The same applies if you're returning from Thailand to the UK with requirement to self-isolate for 14 days. That's a total of 4 weeks self-isolation just for going to Thailand and coming back!! Call it an entire month, might as well. I'm sorry, but under those restrictions very few apart from the total diehards are going to want to travel to Thailand.

Edited by Senior Player

May be it's time to reduce the size of TAT ?

With no any foreign tourists since 6 months 

and probably for the months (Years) coming

it's not necessary to keep one governor, 7 or 8 vice-governors

hundreds of employees and a pharaonic budget ?

All this money should be better used to help the needed

• Like 2

These days it seems tourism is the only industry that can save Thailand. A bit late to moan about no tourists with the dual pricing and gouging that the tourism industry is famous for. 

How about other industries that require brains not scams to run? Oh, the education system is terrible? Well, now we know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aonangkrabi said:

Decimated means reduced with a factor of 10, so down 90%.

That actually comes from ancient Rome. When a legend screw up like ran in battle, one man in 10 would be picked then the rest of his mates would beat the decimated to death with ax handles or in some cases bare hands.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

May be it's time to reduce the size of TAT ?

With no any foreign tourists since 6 months 

and probably for the months (Years) coming

it's not necessary to keep one governor, 7 or 8 vice-governors

hundreds of employees and a pharaonic budget ?

All this money should be better used to help the needed

Save money on the Tourist Police too and there's lots of rather empty Immigration Offices.

• Like 1

I am afraid i am going to have to burst this tourist guys bubble from TAT, It wont happen this year because the authorities have already put the fear of god in most people about the second wave virus Therefore the government keeps its emergency powers in place

17 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

".....Meanwhile in other tourism news Manager and its sources hinted that the tourism minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan is preparing for talks with the PM and the new finance ministry chief over a 100 billion baht aid package for tourism.......

.......On the minus side, Pipat has admitted that accessing that kind of money at this time may prove "somewhat limited"......."

Translation:    Ain't no way.

The army has trillions at its disposal. This is all about a total indifference toward the masses. Their hardship means nothing to them. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, timendres said:

The linked PDF explains it all, in English. "2.2" is simple the section number. "Situation of Patients" is the heading, meaning they are reporting on the "Situation of Patients with Suspected Symptoms of COVID-19 in Thailand". "PUI" means "Person Under Investigation" for having symptoms suspected of being related to COVID-19. In other words, at this moment, the ministry of public health believes there are 385,860 persons in Thailand exhibiting symptoms suspected of being related to COVID-19. And on an average day (lately) more than 1,000 people are added to that total.

With almost none of them actually being infected as confirmed cases are still below 4,000 for the whole duration of the pandemic.

16 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Forget about support for tourism operators,  there won't be tourists for very long time.  Better off supporting everyday Thais who are doing it tough

People in the tourism business are not "everyday Thais"?

Interesting take!

I am working for a tour operator!

60 Thai employees!

All "everyday Thais"!

12 hours ago, moe666 said:

That actually comes from ancient Rome. When a legend screw up like ran in battle, one man in 10 would be picked then the rest of his mates would beat the decimated to death with ax handles or in some cases bare hands.

I think that principle should be adopted in Thai government. We'd be rid of them all within a week.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wiggy said:

With almost none of them actually being infected as confirmed cases are still below 4,000 for the whole duration of the pandemic.

Oh. I see. You think they've actually tested those 300k+ patients. Quaint.

• Haha 1

thai bilionaires will have to dig into their coffers to bail out the economy over the short term but i am not hopefull they would ..a small number of thais own 50% of the thai wealth so its said .eggs all in 1 tourism basket for too long without any backup plan

let us pray together that a heavenly deity will do something to save Thailand from the clutches of its paranoid powered ones, before the country is totally ruined.
Let us pray that the conscience is fairly and equitably distributed all over the country, that xenophobic outbursts stop sullying this country, that power is put in good hands, and can be at best in the hands of an educated people.
Lord, let courage rise from its ashes, that sincere smiles illuminate families again, so that we can share our human values in the peace and quiet of fair, credible and serene justice.
Let everyone, Lord, be inspired to help himself even on the path of righteousness and education. So that we can have a beacon illuminating our path, a revealing light which thus flushes out the diabolical crooks of the highways, waiting for their prey, lurking in the shadows, to abuse them and make their butter on the labor and the tranquility of their prey naive.
Let Buddha once again deeply inspire those who would like peace without lying, without cheating, without fear, without everything that sullies a life of such filth.
Let the great of this world still inspire the thought of Buddha (by facts). Let them shed some of what they have too much to share with others what they miss too often. May they become great and honorable again for the good of all.
Because it is in the torments and sometimes in the adversity that you will recognize the inestimable value of the courage of the one who, faced with the fears and the diabolical terror which puts him to the ground, gets up, erases his bad thoughts, and walks without fear. The value of those who keep moving forward.

10 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

let us pray together that a heavenly deity will do something to save Thailand from the clutches of its paranoid powered ones, before the country is totally ruined.
Let us pray that the conscience is fairly and equitably distributed all over the country, that xenophobic outbursts stop sullying this country, that power is put in good hands, and can be at best in the hands of an educated people.
Lord, let courage rise from its ashes, that sincere smiles illuminate families again, so that we can share our human values in the peace and quiet of fair, credible and serene justice.
Let everyone, Lord, be inspired to help himself even on the path of righteousness and education. So that we can have a beacon illuminating our path, a revealing light which thus flushes out the diabolical crooks of the highways, waiting for their prey, lurking in the shadows, to abuse them and make their butter on the labor and the tranquility of their prey naive.
Let Buddha once again deeply inspire those who would like peace without lying, without cheating, without fear, without everything that sullies a life of such filth.
Let the great of this world still inspire the thought of Buddha (by facts). Let them shed some of what they have too much to share with others what they miss too often. May they become great and honorable again for the good of all.
Because it is in the torments and sometimes in the adversity that you will recognize the inestimable value of the courage of the one who, faced with the fears and the diabolical terror which puts him to the ground, gets up, erases his bad thoughts, and walks without fear. The value of those who keep moving forward.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV?
Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me
I wait for delivery each day until three
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don't let me down
Prove that you love me and buy the next round
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?

Everybody!

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

That's it!

--

I prefer that one.

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

It's more like 23-27%. And then there's the indirect and/or unreported benefits, such as taxi drivers, bargirls, soapy massages, sick buffalo, money sent by sponsors when they're back home, you name it. Probably more like a third of the economy, it's massive.

It was 20% in 2014 when they had 24m visitors.

No wonder they keep banging on about it. But what they say is rubbish; "Tourism will go back to X by Y", insert random words or numbers for X/Y. Meaningless waffle, TAT don't know any more than anyone else and are just guessing and hoping.

What nonsense. It's not even close to 20%.

Most of Thailand has moved on from soapy massages and sex tourism 

Get a grip of yourself, get off your bar-stool and go have a look outside Pattaya. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What nonsense. It's not even close to 20%.

Most of Thailand has moved on from soapy massages and sex tourism 

Get a grip of yourself, get off your bar-stool and go have a look outside Pattaya. 

Read this if you can figure out how to find it:

Turner, Rochelle (2015). Travel & Tourism, Economic Impact 2015, Thailand (PDF). London: World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC).