Disgusting hospital experience

Ajarn Lucky

3 hours ago, Ajarn Lucky said:

After moving to BKK about 6 weeks ago I started experiencing sudden bouts of feeling extremely ill and spiking a fever. I was at a private hospital to ask how much blood tests cost; tried 3 but could not get in a gov hospital that morning. While at the private I had another bout. Their infectiuos disease doctor came to see me and was very concerned I might have 1 of 2 new mozzie borne diseases and recommended I stay 2 or 3 nights to find out. They showed me a card of the price for 2 nights and it seemed reasonable so I agreed to admit. Now know it was not the full price.; nowhere near.

After 1 night I was feeling much better and ready to discharge but the doctor insisted I must stay in at least 1 more night. I was afraid I might have a life threatening disease and that it was highly contagious and so why I must stay in.

Since investigated the diseases : neither is life threatening, nor contagious and neither has a cure or treatment, just paracetamol and anti-inflammatory medicine at home. Absolutely no reason why I had to stay in other than bump up the bill.

I resent being conned and lied to, especially by a doctor and why I disputing the bill .              

I can relate to what you are saying A L .. a not dissimilar experience befell me in Patt's a few yrs ago .. I copped an infection in my leg which swelled up so much it was hard to walk .. went to the well known Hospital top of Soi/4 who after tests said I needed anti biotics intravenously as I had a bacterial infection causing the problem in my leg .. which they did and while they didn't insist I stay overnight they were most pressing I returned next day for more intravenous A B's .. Return I did with the usual height , weight , blood pressure checks first then upto a private room for another A B mainlining session .. the swelling in my leg was receding after 24 hrs so they were correct in the diagnosis .. for 4 days I was requested to requested to return to the hospital for the same procedure paying at the end of each day .. when they asked me to come back a fifth day I became suspicious that they wanted to max out on me and as the inflammation in my leg had all but gone I declined having by then also discovered I could get a capsule equivalent of the anti biotic from Fassino medical suppliers in Patt's to finish the recommended time course .. close to 14,000 bt was the total for the 4 days at the Hoz' and while I had no problem with the diagnosis or standard of treatment there was an element of wringing me abit with the requesting I keep returning for intravenous procedures when the same drug was available in capsule form which I'm sure the hospital's pharmacy would have known about or stocked .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

I can relate to what you are saying A L .. a not dissimilar experience befell me in Patt's a few yrs ago .. I copped an infection in my leg which swelled up so much it was hard to walk .. went to the well known Hospital top of Soi/4 who after tests said I needed anti biotics intravenously as I had a bacterial infection causing the problem in my leg .. which they did and while they didn't insist I stay overnight they were most pressing I returned next day for more intravenous A B's .. Return I did with the usual height , weight , blood pressure checks first then upto a private room for another A B mainlining session .. the swelling in my leg was receding after 24 hrs so they were correct in the diagnosis .. for 4 days I was requested to requested to return to the hospital for the same procedure paying at the end of each day .. when they asked me to come back a fifth day I became suspicious that they wanted to max out on me and as the inflammation in my leg had all but gone I declined having by then also discovered I could get a capsule equivalent of the anti biotic from Fassino medical suppliers in Patt's to finish the recommended time course .. close to 14,000 bt was the total for the 4 days at the Hoz' and while I had no problem with the diagnosis or standard of treatment there was an element of wringing me abit with the requesting I keep returning for intravenous procedures when the same drug was available in capsule form which I'm sure the hospital's pharmacy would have known about or stocked .. 

For the condition you describe, IV treatment is the standard of care until the signs of infection/inflammation have fully subsided. You got away with shortening the IV phase it a bit, but you might not have. The hospital was not doing anything other than applying standard medical practice. Indeed, you are lucky they were accommodating on daily outpatient IV treatment as it is nto usual here in Thailand and some hospitals will only do it on inpatient basis.

Oral antibiotics do not attain the same blood levels/tissue saturation that IV administration does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't believe in cancer treatment, so the cost would be nothing no matter where I am.

Hardly relevant. But with the 10 years survival rate for the most common cancers being 50% I'd rather take my chances, for my loved ones. 

On 8/16/2020 at 7:21 AM, izod10 said:

Undoubtedly private hospital,will try everything and everything to bump up the bill. Was in your situation years ago,just left and left in bed ,excuses after another,..ripped off the pads,got to see hospital director ,told him I'm going to police  ,...bill reduced   half price

see the consumer complaints dept  at local town hall

youre right. even after a minor surgery that should have been 1 night a private hospital were trying to keep me in for many more days. Just got dressed and walked out.. of course i had someone follow me to the ATm before I was let out. Its all about Money not health 

• Thanks 1