Need UK BT landline info

Hi

MODS ....Not sure which section to post this under, please move if inappropriate.

Are there any Ex BT employees on the forum who could tell me what will happen if I do not renew my contract.

Back ground, I have an 18 month broadband contract that I paid 100% upfront which expires this November and BT recently emailed me regarding renewal. I also pay a monthly direct debit for the landline and assume this will also expire in November.

I have not used the broadband or phone since mid Oct 19 and with the current covid situation it looks like the earliest I will get back to the UK is May 21. 

My question is will BT reassign my telephone number if I don't renew. Obviously I don't want to keep throwing money at it indefinitely.

Please do not say contact BT as I do not have sufficient survival rations to last until I get an answer on either Chat, international No or Domestic No, also I fear I will lose the will to live!

I have emailed BT CEO Philip Jansen but as yet not had a reply. I have cancelled my direct debit and got an almost instant email reply reminding me to contact them to rearrange the direct debit. Yes you've guessed it via Chat, international No or domestic No.

Thanks 

TBWG

Edited by TBWG

If your Broadband is separate to your phone line, you can continue to pay your phone bill. If you refuse to pay for either, you cannot expect BT to keep the number for you. 

If you tell them you are moving, you might get a couple of months grace period.

I renegotiated my Broadband/Phone bill with them from £40 per month to less than £20 per month. Same Fibre connection and phone line as before.

Cannot imagine that they will leave the number free for you if you don't pay for it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TBWG said:

I also pay a monthly direct debit for the landline and assume this will also expire in November.

Your landline and your internet package are two different services and each service will need to be cancelled.

Canceling your direct debit may cause you more problems as they will chase you for payment of the contacted amount.

Rather than emailing the CEO, it might be more practical to contact the customer service team and ask them to cancel your landline and your internet package.

• Like 1