if you had a few million baht to invest in Thailand, in what would you invest it ?

16 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Lots of amusing answers here about buying bars and girls and I hope you don't fall for that!

If that's not your cup of tea, and if you are not looking for a substantial regular income, the investment I can recommend that is head and shoulders the best in Thailand is to buy productive farmland. Get to know an area very well over a year or two, introduce yourself to locals, particularly agents (there's one on every corner in the countryside), get to know price history, study the topography, learn about water supply, soil conditions and so on. Then buy. Put in some effort and you will reap rewards. I started doing this when I retired as I had spare cash, like you. The plots we have bought over the years have each appreciated in value by 15-20% per year. I know of no other investment here better than this. Put your 4 million baht on an Excel sheet and do the math. You'll be a dollar millionaire in no time!

Finally a correct answer.  Land is still a promising investment in Thailand, and land-banking is not taxed as heavily as other countries.  Most other investments are just an expense.  ????

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I had a few million baht the only thing I'd invest it in would be a long term stay in a nice hut on Than Sadet hillside. I believe the Elite visa takes away all the hassles of staying long time.

No way I'd "invest" in any Thai business or anything to do with tourism, or property, and 100% NEVER in an individual Thai woman, as in getting married.

If only foreigners (whether white or color or brown- no racism intended) are careful like you they wouldn't be losing their millions of baht in Thailand.

In fact not only in Thailand, in many other countries too you will find that even the government will appear to side the culprits who took your money ,in spite of all proofs in court cases you still waiting for your money after winning the court case. It seems to take forever. Do you have to bribe someone to speed up the process you may finally ask yourself, feeling disgust with this thought.

Don't forget the court case will age you terribly because it would be a long drawn out court case-  your grudge and anger slowly take its toll on your mental health, especially when you see the thief shopping with his wife not a care in the world.

When you have money you have time, so do a good research no matter how troublesome it will be. Learn the laws of the country. Look at what happened to others.

Always remember Properties or Financial Investment Advertisements are drawn up by people who do research to find out your weak point and greed. What do you think their job is all about? To get you to part with your money!

I think the first consideration is the country's laws and how much do you really understand. When you heard or see someone making money do be careful. Nevertheless there are countries where you could invest your money with laws protecting your investment. (I don't think Thailand falls into this category - sad to say).

25 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

hahaha, my ex

even her own child (ours) does not want to do anything with the mother, EVER anymore

for the things my ex did to my child, behind my back when I was out working...

look up narcissist

some people never find out what was the disease person X in their life had, even their own parents and never realize what and how they did was SICK

even the whole THAI family of the child is sick with narcissism

1.5 year after divorce = not one showed up to check how is their grandchild / family and believe or not (don't care about that),  the mother of my ex, mia noi of her father, managed to get about 100+ million baht worth or more with her magical pxxxy  (several 10+ million baht condo's, 20 million baht house in USA, luxury cars, gold, travel all the time (before covid), only the best hotels, business-1st class travel)...   but they cannot be bothered even 1 hour to come visit or even less, help out with anything...

I still can not see how you can blaim others for your choice of woman, and you still do not get it, it was your choice of wrong woman. I know it sounds harsh, but it always starts with you when you have to look back and see where it went wrong. 

You can choose to put blaim on someone else, but that will not help you for next time, or you already burnt out and died trying. 

every company now complaining about hard times, but those who survive adopt to the situation, or they have the reserves to handle the challenges. 

1 minute ago, 321 BOOM said:

I would not invest even 1 cent in Thailand... I would simply invest it in getting me the money out of LOS ASAP or simply spend it.

If only people think like you there wouldn't be a sucker born every minute in this world.

Everything seems good in Thailand you feel good too then the investment idea also sounds good. It seems and appears good because you haven't check it out and you have not talk to people who were rip off so to speak.

On 8/20/2020 at 3:58 PM, Thailand said:

Find someone who can get a licence. Partner up and get in to medical Cannabis etc.

Well, may be. I guess (of course I don't know to be honest) this weed is going to make money- imagine all the people suffering pains using it.

However don't you think the government and all those HI-So society members don't even think about getting together to make money out of this new business venture?

Find someone who can get a licence you said, well, that someone have to be the Sino-Thai business people who have connection with the government. Can you penetrate that ring of business-government body. Only the Sino-Thai society has direct connection with the government- they are buddies, you don't know that?

Talking to others is a waste of time because the connection is not there, get what I meant?

The Sino-Thai society people and government officials address each other with their nicknames - that's how close they are.

If your beautiful daughter marries one of the sons of Hi-So society - that could start the connection - the wires are now connect with a connector.

On 8/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

You can buy bars and restaurants cheap in the moment.

I am sure with many of them you will be able to make good money. It's just a question of how long you have to wait for that.

Acquaintance of mine just did that in a Thai resort city.  Acquired 2 going restaurants  for 1/10th of the asking price from an owner who had to return to the UK..  Negotiated 1 years free rent from the landlord as long as he kept the business open.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rwill said:

Foreigners are not allowed to collect dividends from Thai companies.

Untrue, look at your own link.

foreigners can buy Foreign allocation shares or NVDR shares .these both pay dividends to foreigners.  The reason for the Local shares ( which is what you are referencing) is that as most people here know already, foreigners cannot have controlling interests of Thai companies, that is why at least 51% of shares in any company on the SET are reserved as Local shares.

Edited by sidgy

I would create a sanctuary for sick Buffalos with a resident veterinary to take care of every  sick buffalo in Thailand ....Thus saving all future stupid Farang the expensive of taking care of Terak's poorly beast ..A good charitable investment  which would benefit many not the few   ????

hqdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sitanonchai said:

Who in their right mind would invest in Thailand?

There are more secure countries to invest.

That's a good question but this thread is only about investing a few million baht (like 2 million) - it's not like asking where to invest your life savings lol!
Plenty of people put more than that into riskier investments like cryptocurrency. 
Traditionally 'secure' investments like buying property and renting it out are doing poorly right now, even in secure countries like the US, Germany and the UK as rising unemployment is having an impact on occupancy rates and rents. 
I think some people view Thailand, with its trade surplus, as a hedge against the current global liquidity bubble. The UK's national deficit just past £2 trillion, so people are worried about currency devaluation and a deepening recession. 

On 8/21/2020 at 10:28 AM, Paiman said:

Consumer behavior is shifting towards online shopping, there are some companies I would invest in stocks long term but not sure how to do that with money in Thailand.

Invest on SET or other bourses ?

For SET , i invested through Kbank

For US, China, Uk, EU etc i use etoro

You can PM me if you would require any details/help/info

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Acquaintance of mine just did that in a Thai resort city.  Acquired 2 going restaurants  for 1/10th of the asking price from an owner who had to return to the UK..  Negotiated 1 years free rent from the landlord as long as he kept the business open.   

How much will the rent be in one years time ?

Will be a good investment if the borders open and tourists return 

39 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Actually, now is a great time to buy, with a view to renting, there are some real bargains out there.

If you expect everything going back to Normal yes! My experience the last years, is that the marked for 5000,- +- pr month rent is booming, compare to 15 - 30 000,- that was more attractive before. The long term tourists do not have that much money anymore to spend on rent as before. And 5000 is also attractive for The locals as well.

Edited by Tagged

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

please explain in what world that will work...

if you are DEAD, than your wife or kids get it

well the wife will get half + the next half is divided between , again, your wife + half with kids

in case you would know thai law...

Thai Company. 

Upon your demise, a will can take care of who is left what.   

23 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have no assets in Thailand, and that's by choice.  Why would I?  There is very little ownership protection for foreigners here, and assets underperform here anyway. 

Even with property, there is no stability in the market because there is no town planning here and they keep building and building, so there is an oversupply, which effects sale prices. 

Make or invest your money in developed country, which has the rule of law, and consumer protection.  Spend the profits in Thailand and have a good time.  A simple, safe, and effective formula.    

My strategy as well. Only bring into Thailand what you intend to use right away. Zero trust in usurpers & co.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

My strategy as well. Only bring into Thailand what you intend to use right away. Zero trust in usurpers & co.

My most expensive assets in Thailand are my motorbike, and my home entertainment system.  I could liquidate these at fire sale price within 24 hours.  Other smaller items I could donate, or give to friends.  I could pack my bag, clean out my Thai bank account, and head to the airport within 36 hours, should I ever have to, or want to.  The most I would lose is 1 month rent, and the bond, and I may even get the bond back.

I sleep better at night knowing I can do this.  Indeed, many have commented they are envious of my position.  At the very least, I certainly have not painted a target on my back.  

I am here for a good time.  I'm not here to put money into a 3rd World Country, where I am treated less then a 2nd Class Citizen.    

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jadee said:

That's a good question but this thread is only about investing a few million baht (like 2 million) - it's not like asking where to invest your life savings lol!

Perhaps the question should be, "Why invest even 1 baht in Thailand?"  ????

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

My most expensive assets in Thailand are my motorbike, and my home entertainment system.  I could liquidate these at fire sale price within 24 hours.  Other smaller items I could donate, or give to friends.  I could pack my bag, clean out my Thai bank account, and head to the airport within 36 hours, should I ever have to, or want to.  The most I would lose is 1 month rent, and the bond, and I may even get the bond back.

I sleep better at night knowing I can do this.  Indeed, many have commented they are envious of my position.  At the very least, I certainly have not painted a target on my back.  

I am here for a good time.  I'm not here to put money into a 3rd World Country, where I am treated less then a 2nd Class Citizen.    

That’s the best strategy if you’re single. If you’re married and / or with kids it is not really a possibility. You’ll need a car, maybe another motorbike and a decent house. Some houses or condos can be found a price that offsets the cost of rent in less than 20 years, plus your kids get to own something, even if it devalues over time.

But again you can minimise the financial downside by having only the minimum assets required and like I said if you’re prepared to walk away from them if needed.

24 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

That’s the best strategy if you’re single. If you’re married and / or with kids it is not really a possibility. You’ll need a car, maybe another motorbike and a decent house. Some houses or condos can be found a price that offsets the cost of rent in less than 20 years, plus your kids get to own something, even if it devalues over time.

But again you can minimise the financial downside by having only the minimum assets required and like I said if you’re prepared to walk away from them if needed.

I accept your argument. 

As for kids, been there, done that.  Not looking for anymore, later in life. 

However, if I did have another child, I suppose I would have to do like so many people I know have done, and move back to my home country for a decent education for them, with good employment prospects at the end of education.  I even know guys that have done this with their step children.

It's a difficult decision.  One has worked hard all their life and come to Thailand for a happy retirement, yet, what's best for the child is not to be raised and educated in Thailand, but I know some may disagree with that.  Probably a debate for another thread.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sitanonchai said:

Who in their right mind would invest in Thailand?

There are more secure countries to invest.

Me.  And, I'm quite happy I did.  It's been a good 10 years.  Now, I'm in the same boat as the OP so I've been following this thread hoping to find some advice on what to invest in--besides real estate--with covid messing everything up.  So far, mostly just 12 pages of ramblings on love and marriage, with a few buy (and don't buy) gold and silver tips thrown in.   

• Like 2