if you had a few million baht to invest in Thailand, in what would you invest it ?

4 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

hahaha, my ex

even her own child (ours) does not want to do anything with the mother, EVER anymore

for the things my ex did to my child, behind my back when I was out working...

White knights have to do what they have to do.

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Actually, now is a great time to buy, with a view to renting, there are some real bargains out there.

In Thailand the rent for the condos are ridiculous low compared to the very high buying prices

You can maybe hope a return on investisment on the very long term if nothing go south (REal estate bubbles explosion, hugues variation on the currencies excchanges, virus ''killing'' all your potentials renters, modification on the visa regulation putting you out of the country, going sick and forced to leave and so on) but then all your benefit goes in the maintenance fee and 20 or 30 years later, if you are lucky enough to be still alive and in Thailand you end with an old creepy building that nobody wants to buy or to rent

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

In Thailand the rent for the condos are ridiculous low compared to the very high buying prices

You can maybe hope a return on investisment on the very long term if nothing go south (REal estate bubbles explosion, hugues variation on the currencies excchanges, virus ''killing'' all your potentials renters, modification on the visa regulation putting you out of the country, going sick and forced to leave and so on) but then all your benefit goes in the maintenance fee and 20 or 30 years later, if you are lucky enough to be still alive and in Thailand you end with an old creepy building that nobody wants to buy or to rent

The absolute opposite of our real life experiences. ????

I'm sorry that you weren't able to do it successfully. ????

It does take a little bit of intelligence. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

The absolute opposite of our real life experiences. ????

I'm sorry that you weren't able to do it successfully. ????

It does take a little bit of intelligence. 

You have probably been lucky to find one of the rare exceptions

your supposed ''intelligence'' have nothing to do with that

if you had any, you wouldn't have to try to put others down

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

My most expensive assets in Thailand are my motorbike, and my home entertainment system.  I could liquidate these at fire sale price within 24 hours.  Other smaller items I could donate, or give to friends.  I could pack my bag, clean out my Thai bank account, and head to the airport within 36 hours, should I ever have to, or want to.  The most I would lose is 1 month rent, and the bond, and I may even get the bond back.

I sleep better at night knowing I can do this.  Indeed, many have commented they are envious of my position.  At the very least, I certainly have not painted a target on my back.  

I am here for a good time.  I'm not here to put money into a 3rd World Country, where I am treated less then a 2nd Class Citizen.    

This is exactly how it is. I was doing the same for 6 years, just sold my cars and my bikes and waiting for a flight out of LOS with the plan to leave for good. For me it was the right decision to do so.

At my age a long term investment would be around 6-7 days. But I’ve been careful, even frugal with my money over the years; so it’s engrained into me to use my hard earned money wisely.

I would be looking at splitting my investment, you know the ‘don’t keep all of your eggs in one basket’ strategy.

Something along the lines of 20% on the Thai lottery, 20% renting a bar and banning anyone but myself to drink there so it’s nice and quiet. 20% on the education of a pretty young lady, 15% on a cigar humidor and 5% on Evian. Although I can’t taste the difference with Evian due to damaging my taste buds with Chang and stogies, I see it as a treat.

The rest I’d just waste on rewarding myself.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

My most expensive assets in Thailand are my motorbike, and my home entertainment system.  I could liquidate these at fire sale price within 24 hours.  Other smaller items I could donate, or give to friends.  I could pack my bag, clean out my Thai bank account, and head to the airport within 36 hours, should I ever have to, or want to.  The most I would lose is 1 month rent, and the bond, and I may even get the bond back.

I sleep better at night knowing I can do this.  Indeed, many have commented they are envious of my position.  At the very least, I certainly have not painted a target on my back.  

I am here for a good time.  I'm not here to put money into a 3rd World Country, where I am treated less then a 2nd Class Citizen.    

I have a fair bit more of stuff, but wouldn't bat and eyelid if I have to leave it all this second, except a couple of items that have sentimental value. I can just buy it all again where ever. It's by design, no permanent residence, no land ownership = pretty obvious I'm not invited to stay anyway. 

3 hours ago, 321 BOOM said:

This is exactly how it is. I was doing the same for 6 years, just sold my cars and my bikes and waiting for a flight out of LOS with the plan to leave for good. For me it was the right decision to do so.

Each to their own, but I never suggested leaving, just minimising exposure to financial loss here, which isn't difficult, if you are thinking with the big head, and not the small head.  ????

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

I have a fair bit more of stuff, but wouldn't bat and eyelid if I have to leave it all this second, except a couple of items that have sentimental value. I can just buy it all again where ever. It's by design, no permanent residence, no land ownership = pretty obvious I'm not invited to stay anyway. 

It's always interested me how so many guys can "invest" their money in a country that does not offer a genuine path to permanent residency, with at least some legal rights.

I have said before, you can have a Thai wife, two kids, a house, two cars, two motorbikes, maybe some land, and a business, but you have no more rights than a first time tourists to Thailand on a 30 day visa exemption stamp.  

I have never understood why guys think that little sticker in their passport gives them the right to reside here, basically forever.  Visas can be revoked at anytime.  Visa laws and qualification criteria can be changed at any time.

You can own a nice house or condo here, but that sticker in your passport is the thing that allows you to live here, and live in it, and there's no guarantee you get it next year, or qualify for it next year.

And before someone says, "The Thai's would never do that.  They would lose too much money."  Well, think again, they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and history shows many of their policies haven't always made sense.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tagged said:

I still can not see how you can blaim others for your choice of woman, and you still do not get it, it was your choice of wrong woman. I know it sounds harsh, but it always starts with you when you have to look back and see where it went wrong. 

You can choose to put blaim on someone else, but that will not help you for next time, or you already burnt out and died trying. 

every company now complaining about hard times, but those who survive adopt to the situation, or they have the reserves to handle the challenges. 

I did not marry my ex out of money concern and she certainly did not either.

Child born in home country, moved here a few years later.

Things changed when ex was back in HER country, where THAI LAWS are made for thai people.

My ex went to stray, but she might have been a closet bisexual as probably living with her teenage girlfriend and having sex with strangers, not my care or business ...

her crazy "girlfriend" wants a child for years, even she cannot take care of herself (bipolar, great ideas / plans that never go anywhere) and that same girlfriend asked me to impregnate her, in front of ex... lol

my ex wanted to get a child or pregnant, same as many people want a dog, but the "new"/ fun is gone quickly and let others the care of it...

my child has already gotten several of my millions gifted just before the divorce (good I know about that THAI law) to be used how the child wants in the future, for education, for buying a house or condo, in case of my early demise...

just was fishing for possible things that give a better return than a bank...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

I did not marry my ex out of money concern and she certainly did not either.

Child born in home country, moved here a few years later.

Things changed when ex was back in HER country, where THAI LAWS are made for thai people.

My ex went to stray, but she might have been a closet bisexual as probably living with her teenage girlfriend and having sex with strangers, not my care or business ...

her crazy "girlfriend" wants a child for years, even she cannot take care of herself (bipolar, great ideas / plans that never go anywhere) and that same girlfriend asked me to impregnate her, in front of ex... lol

my ex wanted to get a child or pregnant, same as many people want a dog, but the "new"/ fun is gone quickly and let others the care of it...

my child has already gotten several of my millions gifted just before the divorce (good I know about that THAI law) to be used how the child wants in the future, for education, for buying a house or condo, in case of my early demise...

just was fishing for possible things that give a better return than a bank...

Read what you wrote twice still cannot quite understand what you wrote. Is English your mother tongue? You speak english at home?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

You should have accepted the offer, but got a vasectomy.  ????

• Haha 1