if you had a few million baht to invest in Thailand, in what would you invest it ?

3 hours ago, Paiman said:

Disagree, plenty of people with money. Not trusting the markets, the big plunge is still to come. With current handling of covid, the economic future does not look bright. ( e. g. Egyptian soldier ) 

Several banks have upped their gold target partially beyond 3000 US$. The future will show. Personally I am with silver at the moment.

Land. Depends on location and can be slow if you want to sell. Can not be in your name.

Consumer behavior is shifting towards online shopping, there are some companies I would invest in stocks long term but not sure how to do that with money in Thailand.

You can disagree all you want but what I have said is factually correct. Gold was hovering around $1200 in March, it's now at $2000 and it's all time high of $2257 was set in 1980. If one was to invest in Gold they should have done so in March when you could be sure of a 80% profit, now the price is close to an all time high there is little room for growth left and as the price climbs further a big risk of being spiked by by at the top.  most analysts forecasts are between 2000 - 2300 with Goldman Sachs targeting $2,300.

I advised the OP holds the money until the recession really kicks in or the US bubble bursts assuming there is a "big plunge" that may not happen although there are second wave fears there could a vaccine released any time from October that could send the markets climbing. The US elections could be another trigger to send markets into free fall.   

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

Bitcoin could go higher the next few months, since gold starting to pass all time high but still alot more to gain if the Real world depression comes. Bitcoin, is gambling if you see it as a long time investment. Gold Bars is much safer for long time investment like 10 - 15 years. Gold will reach a new all time high in that period. 

https://www.coindesk.com/price/bitcoin

No guarantee that Gold will ever reach a new high. Buying when Gold is so close to the previous high set in 1980 is certainly not advisable because if you buy so close to the top you could be siting on a loss for decades. The last time gold hit an all time high of $2257 it retraced over the following 2 decades down to $400 so you could lose over 75% of your investment. Here we are 40 years later and gold has still not achieved that same high since. 

• Like 2

I would only invest in Thailand what I was prepared to lose.  I have some millions of Baht, not a lot, but some (not in Baht, but in other assets classes and other currencies) that are divided in my mind into low, medium and high risk. That is the order also of the amount in each, so most in low risk, some in medium risk and the high risk is a small amount and just for playing around with on the markets as more of a hobby than an investment.  If I lost the high risk I would be irritated rather than seriously bothered. Almost none of it is in Thailand, bar some property assets. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patts said:

No guarantee that Gold will ever reach a new high. Buying when Gold is so close to the previous high set in 1980 is certainly not advisable because if you buy so close to the top you could be siting on a loss for decades. The last time gold hit an all time high of $2257 it retraced over the following 2 decades down to $400 so you could lose over 75% of your investment. Here we are 40 years later and gold has still not achieved that same high since. 

You might be right, but still I doubt we will go free of the next big depression now, it is just matter of time, and if not the big depression is around the corner, we have China, russia, and other countries still buying gold in big numbers, I doubt gold will loose that much again until we are back on track. Remember we still are closer to a new bigger conflict than ever before, and if Trump win? Do you think China will sit still for another decade? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tagged said:

You might be right, but still I doubt we will go free of the next big depression now, it is just matter of time, and if not the big depression is around the corner, we have China, russia, and other countries still buying gold in big numbers, I doubt gold will loose that much again until we are back on track. Remember we still are closer to a new bigger conflict than ever before, and if Trump win? Do you think China will sit still for another decade? 

The smart play if Trump wins is for China to agree to most of what the US wants. Just because they agree doesn't mean they'll do it. They aren't ready for a full fledged trade war but they are very close to their long term goal. In 4 years the next Pres will most probably be easier to manipulate. The big question is if Xi's ego will allow him to wait 4 years. 

Depends on your timeframe.  

I'm thinking of restoring classic cars as an investment.  The prices of some classics is definitely increasing here and in 20 years the prices will definitely be significant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, how241 said:

I would invest in Bitcoin and a few other top alt. coins.  I know this is not Thailand specific but I think you will get a good return in the next few months/years.  Good Luck !

I wouldn't be using BTC to expect gains. As a "digital gold", ie. hedge against inflation, it has it's place. Altcoins, yeah well, if you want to join "The Men Who Stare at Charts", I suppose it's an ok hobby.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Cement companies. Long term... Still the foundation and building blocks of everything.

Excellent idea.  I think SCC  is the big one in Thailand.  Solid company and they pay a decent dividend. Listed on the Thailand stock exchange. 

19 minutes ago, how241 said:

Excellent idea.  I think SCC  is the big one in Thailand.  Solid company and they pay a decent dividend. Listed on the Thailand stock exchange. 

Foreigners are not allowed to collect dividends from Thai companies.

https://www.set.or.th/en/trading/files/SET_Foreign_Handbook_2019.pdf

Page 7:

"Local shares: Both local and foreign investors can trade local shares, but foreign investors are neither entitled to dividends nor voting rights."

Edited by rwill
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rwill said:

Foreigners are not allowed to collect dividends from Thai companies.

Maybe this is a new law ??  I always collected dividends from my Thai stocks  from 2011-2015.  You can even file with the tax office and get back the small withholding tax they take out from the dividend payment. I always did.  I haven't played in the Thai stock market recently so maybe things have changed.