Is it possible to get USA/Thai dual citizenship with a Thai passport ?

5 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

The chance of you being able to obtain Thai citizenship at your age are zilch to none. It also requires paying taxes / social security for a long period of time and there is a scoring system.

Thanks !!!   I have never worked in Thailand and I don't speak/write Thai. 

10 minutes ago, how241 said:

If not married to a Thai you would also need to apply for permanent residency and get it to apply for Thai nationality after about 5 years.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, how241 said:

Your options went from none to minus 4000. ????

Sounds like you have a very decent financial background incl property so I wouldn't waste time on this. Enjoy your retirement and for a total piece of mind you could just get the Thailand Elite 20 year visa for 1 Mio and never think about this again. Unless you're planning to get older than 86 and still remain in TH. ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Your options went from none to minus 4000. ????

Sounds like you have a very decent financial background incl property so I wouldn't waste time on this. Enjoy your retirement and for a total piece of mind you could just get the Thailand Elite 20 year visa for 1 Mio and never think about this again. Unless you're planning to get older than 86 and still remain in TH. ????

Thanks.  I only recently started to think about this as Thailand now requires retirees to keep 400K  in the bank at all times. 800K  for about 6 months.  I can afford to do this but I like to keep my money 'working hard'  at all times.  Getting 1%  is not really working hard. I figure I lose about 4,500-5,000 baht monthly to maintain my retirement visa. I would never pay so much money up front just to get a Elite visa as I might get bored with Thailand and want to go elsewhere. I'm guessing that they don't give prorated Elite visa refunds if you decide to leave. haha

17 minutes ago, how241 said:

Thanks.  I only recently started to think about this as Thailand now requires retirees to keep 400K  in the bank at all times. 800K  for about 6 months.  I can afford to do this but I like to keep my money 'working hard'  at all times.  Getting 1%  is not really working hard. I figure I lose about 4,500-5,000 baht monthly to maintain my retirement visa. I would never pay so much money up front just to get a Elite visa as I might get bored with Thailand and want to go elsewhere. I'm guessing that they don't give prorated Elite visa refunds if you decide to leave. haha

You can actually sell certain types of the expensive 20y Elite Visas if you get bored of Thailand or if you suddenly decide it's no longer for you. There is a fee though which you'd either have to pay or split with the buyer. No point of that, just buy 4x 5y or the cheaper version of 20y/1M without any of the hard benefits like transfers and golf.

From an ROI perspective I guess the approach to this investment relies largely on how much you hate dealing with bureaucracy and value convenience.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

From an ROI perspective I guess the approach to this investment relies largely on how much you hate dealing with bureaucracy and value convenience.

I deal with the Jomtien immigration and I have found them to usually be fast and efficient. My 90 day report info is in their computer system so it take 1 minute for them to print me out a new paper.   As far as the yearly retirement visa renewal,  I usually have all the required paperwork so I am there for 5 minutes while the staff checks and highlights all the relevant info and gives me a # to come back tomorrow to pick my passport with the new 1 year stamp.  I prefer to come to immigration  late in the day and that's why I need to come back the next day to pick-up my passport but I don't mind as it gives me a reason to go for a ride. Overall,  I have no complaints about Jomtien immigration as they are usually fast and friendly.  I don't know if this helps but I usually bring a collar shirt that I slip on before I enter immigration.  I do wear long cargo style short pants. It always helps to smile and Never get nasty or aggressive.  That will never work in your favor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, how241 said:

use an agent and pay 14,000/year... no money in Bank needed

26 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

use an agent and pay 14,000/year... no money in Bank needed

That sounds like a fair price.  Did you have any concerns of the legality of doing it this way ? I am guessing that the agent is not actually lending you the required money and keeping it in his bank for the required time .  I am also just guessing that the agents are playing games and photocopying your  front page of your bank book on to the agents bank book that actually has the money.  Just guessing on my part and I have no info to support this. 

23 hours ago, how241 said:

you don't need to speak or read thai but you will need to work for 3 full years and have a wife

Edited by yankee99
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

For citizenship you have a test and interviews IN THAI.

Being married to a Thai national isn't a requirement to apply for citizenship.

1. wrong no thai needed if married and have 50 points 

2. correct but you would need permanent residency ency 1st if not married. 

if married you can bypass pr

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

1. wrong no thai needed if married and have 50 points 

2. correct but you would need permanent residency ency 1st if not married. 

if married you can bypass pr

So you suggest to get married to a random person to get the citizenship application on the way?

The OP is a 66 year old,  asset rich retiree on a retirement visa. Marriage is likely the worst option here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

So you suggest to get married to a random person to get the citizenship application on the way?

He was certainly was no implying that. He is just stating a fact.

Another fact is that just being married to a Thai is not the only requirement. You also have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 years to apply.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and info. I am retired, so working is out for me.  I have no desire to get married as I tried that 2x  in the USA  and it didn't work out so well for me.  It looks like I have gotten my answer on this thread.  Trying to do what I was thinking would be close to impossible and very hard at least.  I probably will just continue to do as I have been doing as it is no hardship for me to comply with Thailand's financial requirements. I think they should lower or adjust some of their financial requirements for people that have stayed here for many years or people that own property or businesses but I'm sure that will never happen.  Thanks again for all posters that have shared their thoughts and info. 

• Like 1