Is Thailand more dangerous now?

SCOTT FITZGERSLD

<deleted> Covid. What makes Thailnd a bit more dangerous now days are the student protests and their efforts to oust Prayut and limit the kings power. I wouldn't be surprised to see the military shoot some of the protesters. I read that they have already jailed some of them.

On 8/21/2020 at 12:09 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

My friend told me better not come to thailand this year as the COVID-19 made

it much more dangerous, more crime, robberies and assaults that goes unreported.

What do you think?

Depends where you are, what you're doing and what time of day it is.
As it does in most countries.

In Thailand by far the biggest danger are the roads, use you brain, don't take risks and you'll live to go home.. same advice goes for the rest of the activities, a bit more advice don't flash the cash or bling.. but then that can get you mugged anywhere!

On 8/21/2020 at 12:30 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

many experts believe the sky to thailand will open gradually during october

until fully opened in december, the world cannot stay closed forever.

Nothing will happen in October. The ridiculous idea from Phuket about putting tourists in quarantine 14 days + the need to stay another 7 days will be binned when TAT realizes that no tourists will buy that c**p. You can also most likely forget it to "fully open in December". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have to be honest, got attacked by a yaba junkie in Bangkok 5 weeks ago. Also more homeless and stuff already and more robberies around villages. But it is still a super safe place compared to almost anywhere in todays reality. I just fear the insane visa policy and anti farang policy. As well roads if I not drive myself.

Also things are not sustainable as there has been building going on for decades now while almost no local can afford to buy or rent it. So basically this entire real estate scene is a joke as they make it difficult for foreigners to live here. This was already doomed to fail before COVID. 

Another thing is that more and more Europeans were started to go to Vietnam as its like the old Thailand a bit and cheap. Actually most wouldnt even know the old Thailand as they are just 18-26 years old and dig Vietnam. Australia working holiday visa workers same thing, used to go TH and now Bali and Vietnam.

My point is: I think things will get way worse, specially now with lockdown nonsense on top, and then it might get much more criminal / dangerous too. Not to mention if protests get out of hand.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, swissman53 said:

Short time before Covid I was in Germany. I will never again visit a large train station at night like Frankfurt or even Stuttgart. It was just horrible.

In that view is Bangkok a save heaven.....

I've spent many an evening at Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof waiting for the train. One of the cleanest stations I've been to. But that was about 15 years ago. I suppose the multi-culti Merkel invention has had it's effect.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I've spent many an evening at Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof waiting for the train. One of the cleanest stations I've been to. But that was about 15 years ago. I suppose the multi-culti Merkel invention has had it's effect.

I can confirm that, and I know Germany well. Cleanliness at Thai train stations is better. And safety also. German train station especially the smaller ones have close to zero staff empoyed nowadays, and zero service. Can be dangerous sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

Imagine the police knew about your missus jewelry and cash hidden at home the police then rent out his gun to the bad guy who comes to your house. Is that good or bad?

It depends on whose gun is bigger, the criminals or the homeowners

I've never actually felt in danger here in Thailand. Even walking around late at night through alleys. I'm up country near Udon Thani and haven't noticed much difference in crime recently. It would be interesting to see what the crime statistics look like because just because we don't see any difference doesn't mean there isn't a difference. 

Things are pretty much back to normal up here. 

• Like 2

On 8/21/2020 at 1:33 PM, bkksteve123 said:

Thailand is not and has never been dangerous in a life-threatening way as for example some African and South American nations. Sure, you may die in a car accident, but you are a lot more likely to get mugged on the streets of London or Paris than Bangkok.

True!

I've never felt unsafe in LOS (other than the obligatory roads) which means I feel safe until I'm not.

Not a lot you can do about an unexpected crime situation other than try to limit perception of wealth.  

Our default practice in high-risk areas anywhere in the world is no bags, no wallets, purses or jewellery (not that we adorn jewellery).  Only enough cash in pocket to pay for daily outgoings.  If we get mugged or murdered then good luck with your maximum £50 prize.  

On 8/21/2020 at 7:30 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

many experts believe the sky to thailand will open gradually during october

until fully opened in december, the world cannot stay closed forever.

Don´t worry so much, they will eventually let you in. Like 2022 or something. ???? 

42 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i do not see anything funny about it.

so many people are suffering so much because of this situation, and

you are making jocks about it.

What! Where did you see me joke, or did I put a laughing sign somewhere? I guess you just have to learn to read and understand better.

To me it seems like you are anxious to come back to Thailand, and therefore started this thread. I just have the opinion that you should not worry so much, because it´s not much you can do about the situation, as well as even if you can/could enter under the exception list. You would probably not want to face all the costs and the obstacles. Therefore my estimation is that you will not be able to come back and in under normal circumstances before 2022.

If you see something funny in that. Please do not hesitate to inform me.

the COVID-19 made

it much more dangerous, more crime, robberies and assaults

i think the virus did none of the list you presented,

but the knee jerk shut down certainly did.

i know quite many thais that lost their job, i had to lend out money

to my oldest friend in thailand.

and i know the bargirls either left altogether and or live on a pittance.

i drove by soi diamond next to walking street a couple of days ago at 8 pm,

normally its crowded, but this time i didnt see a single human,

its a zombie town.

without tourist money, and thailand also doubled down

and enforced curfew, resturants/hotels/bars no longer generate money,

they cant pay staff and the staff still need money but they cant earn it,

therefore next step is stealing

Edited by scammed

What do you think?

Maybe your friend watches Thai TV news. Combined with the daily moto follies, this country resembles a horrific HBO series. My G watches,  so I end up watching, YUCK. Yes I think it has gone up, yet it is Thai on Thai. As the economic stagnation continues this may change.

For all ‘I feel so safe’ .. daylight muggings are exceedingly rare in Thailand, always have been. That doesn’t mean fatal things do not happen, with disturbing regularity, in this country. Interestingly the bucking balconies of Pattaya, buck less when bars are closed, & service sector employees jobless.  Go figure.

"My friend told me...."

Always a good start.

Imagine some foreigners here are under increased financial demands to support family members who previously were able to support themselves?

Can't see how it's much more "dangerous", assuming that means "criminal" rather than "accidental"?

A lot of the Thai-on-foreigner crime is one of opportunity or deceit rather than violence. Yes. some ends in violence but when was the last time we had a juicy murder?

My vote: same-same or safer.

caveat: packs of soi dogs seem a bit hungrier these days. As long as you can outrun the slower people you're good to go.