Anti-government protesters in Khon Kaen dwell on educational issues

webfact

Anti-government protesters in Khon Kaen dwell on educational issues

By The Nation

800_d0efa79e3a0774f.jpg?v=1597991012

Pro-democracy activists held protests around the Democracy Monument in Khon Kaen province on Thursday (August 20) evening.

Protest leader Sivakorn Namnuad said that the protesters were given permission to rally at around 6.50pm, but the gathering blocked traffic on Si Chan Road.

The police asked the protesters to move out of the road, which led to some arguments.

The student activists gave a speech on the opportunity to access education in Thailand and said children from poor families struggled to remain in the educational system due to the high tuition fees.

The speeches also dwelt on the inappropriate behaviour of teachers who tried to harass students expressing their political opinion.

Around 8.40pm, the protesters had a flashlight waving activity, a feature of several anti-government protests, and a mini-concert before they dispersed at 11pm.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393313

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-21

• Like 2

I have so many times, thought that the gov't is more interested in Submarines and Tanks and Armoured Personnel Carriers than it is with school lunches and schools and educating their population,

I have a personal thought that this 'military gov't' only cares about the military and the rich, and wants to keep the poor 'uneducated' and 'poor'.... that way they and the rich will still be able to hire all their 'servants' for a few baht.......

4 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Fantastic news! But why no comments. Khon Kaen rarely gets mentioned on Thai Visa, but is a highly politically motivated town. I am glad to see that protesters against this military government are taking to the streets here and following the lead given by students nationwide. 

They have my moral support, good to see the next generation doing something that their apathetic parents are seemingly not bothered about.

When these students leave education they have no future to look forward too, lees opportunities than ever and an up-hill struggle to get employment at an interview, when up-against hundreds of others with some experience. 

6 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Fantastic news! But why no comments. Khon Kaen rarely gets mentioned on Thai Visa, but is a highly politically motivated town. I am glad to see that protesters against this military government are taking to the streets here and following the lead given by students nationwide. 

Yes indeed, and this part of Thailand was traditionally "Shinawatra Territory" and still is "red shirt" I believe??