Axeman smashes up village, charges at policeman

snoop1130

Axeman smashes up village, charges at policeman

By The Nation

800_2915edd86f269b3.jpg

An axe-wielding man went on the rampage in Kalasin province on Thursday night, smashing vehicles and terrorising locals, before finally being brought to a halt by a policeman’s gun.

Detsak Khonhan, 40, cut a trail of destruction through Ban Nong Mek sub-district in the northeastern province, swinging at locals and smashing four cars, two motorcycles and various other items, said police.

Police officer Ratchawat Saengnikul said he challenged Detsak, but instead of putting down his weapon, the axeman charged at him. Ratchawat said he drew his gun and fired warning shots, then shot the man in the legs but this failed to halt the attack. The officer said he finally aimed at Detsak’s chest, shooting him dead.

Investigators found that Detsak had a history of mental illness due to drug use. They are questioning his relatives for the case report.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393323

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-21

• Sad 1

Ah, the good old "Mad Axeman", in these days of ubiquitous terrorist inspired knifemen, makes me almost nostalgic. Incidentally, we can see why police are trained to shoot centre mass, rather than aim for the legs, which is often quoted as a preferred option.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Ratchawat said he drew his gun and fired warning shots, then shot the man in the legs but this failed to halt the attack. The officer said he finally aimed at Detsak’s chest, shooting him dead.

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Ah, the good old "Mad Axeman", in these days of ubiquitous terrorist inspired knifemen, makes me almost nostalgic. Incidentally, we can see why police are trained to shoot centre mass, rather than aim for the legs, which is often quoted as a preferred option.

Pepper spray could have subdued him. There are varying strengths... the stronger mixes work quite well and have a type that can be sprayed at a long distance. But... pepper sprays are illegal in Thailand... go figure. It is hard to imagine how else you could protect yourself, when you're in the village with no police around, with a crazy guy and an axe... Run away I suppose until he finds some one off guard or a child or elderly person who simply cannot get away. Pepper sprays are a great home defense and should not be illegal. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

then shot the man in the legs but this failed to halt the attack. The officer said he finally aimed at Detsak’s chest, shooting him dead.

Having never been shot, I am not sure how it effects your body, but I would have thought being shot in both legs pretty much would render you motionless. I think it more likely he fired as many shots as he could and then adapted it.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:52 AM, Tounge Thaied said:

Pepper spray could have subdued him. There are varying strengths... the stronger mixes work quite well and have a type that can be sprayed at a long distance. But... pepper sprays are illegal in Thailand... go figure. It is hard to imagine how else you could protect yourself, when you're in the village with no police around, with a crazy guy and an axe... Run away I suppose until he finds some one off guard or a child or elderly person who simply cannot get away. Pepper sprays are a great home defense and should not be illegal. 

As if noone in the village had access to a firearm ! that would have to be a first ! luckily the mad axeman didn't !